Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Martial Arts  (Read 6607 times)

Breffni

Martial Arts
« on: December 02, 2009, 06:19:19 pm »
Post deleted
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:43:33 pm by Enzuigiri »

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Martial Arts
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 06:30:31 pm »
Evening all. I was wondering how many of you have either practiced martial arts in the past; like Karate; Kempo; Tae-Kwon Do; Jiu-Jitsu etc. and what your experiences were. I know we have Lisa who is extremely passionate about it, which is awesome. Anybody else?

Taijutsu. It's pretty cool and I'm starting back as soon as my back lets me.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:26:53 am »
Ask Lisa...shes incredible.
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline Sik

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:43:09 am »
A long time ago i had been doing Judo, but had to stop because of knee problems :/  I miss it actually, I'd start a martial art again but I fear it's maybe a bit late for me... (training around 10yo kids could be fun but still...  :909)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:06:31 pm by Sik »

Lisa2408

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:34:32 pm »
I am doing Tae Kwan Do since I was 5 years old.  I own the 2nd Dan. I am a new member in the German National Team.
In 2007/2008 I was International German champion in the junior range up to 45 kg.
This year I was German vice-champion in the senior range up to 60 kg.
I will start from  28 Jan. - 31 Jan. 2010 at the European Championships in Tae Kwan Do participate at Dublin/Ireland.
If I become there up to the first 10 places in my weight class, I may take in July 2010 at the World Championships in Sydney.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:39:51 pm by Lisa2408 »

Offline Phabse

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:26:22 pm »
I am doing Tae Kwan Do since I was 5 years old.  I own the 2nd Dan. I am a new member in the German National Team.
In 2007/2008 I was International German champion in the junior range up to 45 kg.
I will start from  28 Jan. - 31 Jan. 2010 at the European Championships in Tae Kwan Do participate at Dublin/Ireland.
If I become there up to the first 10 places in my weight class, I may take in July 2010 at the World Championships in Sydney.

sounds awsome :)

im doing tae bo :)

randomer909

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 05:57:53 pm »
:879 Lisa you are Bruce Lee only a girl!!!! :879 :879

Seriously though, well done!!!  :2345 :2345

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 03:05:55 am »

Awesome! Good luck in Ireland. You could have an IYNO cheer squad there and one in Sydney too!

On the question Breff asked, no I've never tried Martial Arts. My brother did when I was growing up, but I never got the bug.

Karla

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 12:34:21 am »
I've always been a fan of martial arts, and did get quite obsessive about it at one point when I found the right arts that suited me. I use Muay Thai as a base and learnt JKD, Kali and eventually Wing Tsun. I gave up the Thai boxing when I started damaging my wrists by not strapping them up properly, and gave up martial arts when I went back to university. I would love to take up the Thai boxing again,out of all of them it feels most natural to me. I paid for private lessons in Wing Tsun for a year and it blew my mind. If I had a choice of mastering any art then it would be that one, but you almost have to unlearn everything else first.

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 01:02:41 am »
so Karla would Wing Tsun be a good one for someone who knows no other?

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 01:06:20 am »

You still will have to unlearn everything. Martial arts is more about unlearning what you do wrong than learning techniques. It's crazy the number of "extra" things you naturally do when you try to land for instance a simple punch in the most direct way possible.

Karla

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 12:57:35 pm »

Absolutely. If I was starting out again this is the only art that I would learn as it covers absolutely every aspect of fighting.

Unlike most other martial arts, it uses the opponents weight and force against them. What this means is that you can continue using the techniques no matter how old you get, unlike some of the more strenuous martial arts which require a degree of fitness and strength for them to be useful.

Karla

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 01:09:13 pm »
You still will have to unlearn everything. Martial arts is more about unlearning what you do wrong than learning techniques. It's crazy the number of "extra" things you naturally do when you try to land for instance a simple punch in the most direct way possible.

Another good thing about Wing Tsun is that they acknowledge that their opponents aren't likely to be using Wing Tsun.

This may sound obvious but what often happens in other classes such as with Karate (as an example), is that you have two students practising with each other. One is trying to do a punch, the other is learning how to block that punch. But in doing so though, the other student is learning how to block a Karate punch. If the first student doesn't throw the correct punch the block doesn't work and the teacher comes round and sees the student throwing a punch wrongly and corrects him.

In Wing Tsun it's all about holding the centre line. The opponent who does not maintain his centre line, will invariably be off-balance and have his organs exposed to your attack.

I'd just like to say, I'm not actually that good at Wing Tsun as it was the last one I started learning before moving and giving up all martial arts, but it is the one that has impressed me the most. It answered all my questions.

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 01:13:22 pm »

Absolutely. If I was starting out again this is the only art that I would learn as it covers absolutely every aspect of fighting.

Unlike most other martial arts, it uses the opponents weight and force against them. What this means is that you can continue using the techniques no matter how old you get, unlike some of the more strenuous martial arts which require a degree of fitness and strength for them to be useful.

so are you suggesting I'm old and unfit????? :56789  :909 :P It does sound good though.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:15:03 pm by Toddo »

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 01:31:01 pm »
Another good thing about Wing Tsun is that they acknowledge that their opponents aren't likely to be using Wing Tsun.

This may sound obvious but what often happens in other classes such as with Karate (as an example), is that you have two students practising with each other. One is trying to do a punch, the other is learning how to block that punch. But in doing so though, the other student is learning how to block a Karate punch. If the first student doesn't throw the correct punch the block doesn't work and the teacher comes round and sees the student throwing a punch wrongly and corrects him.

In Wing Tsun it's all about holding the centre line. The opponent who does not maintain his centre line, will invariably be off-balance and have his organs exposed to your attack.

Taijutsu is similar in that regard.