Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Amy Molloy strips off in the name of neo-nudism  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
Amy Molloy strips off in the name of neo-nudism
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:58:01 pm »
Amy is a writer for various publications.  This article appeared here.

I NEVER thought I’d strike a business deal while sitting in a hot spring, totally naked except for a pair of sunglasses, and sharing a plate of hummus and carrot sticks with a tech executive, a medical student and the CEO of an online shopping website. But that’s exactly how I recently found myself spending a Saturday evening, in the middle of the desert, two hours from the heart of Los Angeles. This was a legitimate business trip. No, really! I’d gone to LA to network with small-business owners in the fashion and technology industries. So when a local tour guide offered to take me to a ‘secret spot’ where all the insiders go to mingle, I thought he’d take me to a co-working space or a trendy cafe that serves yerba maté lattes.
Instead, we hiked for two hours in the Mojave Desert to a VIP-area-with-a-difference that’s known as Deep Creek Canyon. Imagine this: 100 people all in various states of undress, with some of the women wearing only a top and no pants, and others simply accessorising with nothing but a strategically-placed bumbag or satchel. Dress code: clothing optional. Conversation: uncensored.

Nudism is no longer just for nudist beaches. height=366
Over the next two days, I rubbed (bare) shoulders with professionals from all walks of life and heatedly discussed topics that ranged from politics and Taylor Swift’s new charity to whether or not the social-media site Periscope is worth signing up to.
Don’t get me wrong – I met my fair share of full-blown hippies there in the Californian desert who perfectly embodied the stereotype you’d associate with casual nudism. But, to my surprise, most of the people I crossed paths with were white-collared professionals who, by their own admission, identify as shy and retiring. “In my day job, I’d be nervous wearing a tank top to the office,” said 32-year-old human resources manager, Tara.
So, why were they all here voluntarily? Haven’t you heard? Naturism is no longer simply an activity for hippies, Playboy bunnies and serial exhibitionists. Off the back of social trends such as the Free The Nipple campaign, which argues that men and women’s bodies shouldn’t be censored differently, a growing number of people are casting aside their inhibitions and shedding their material layers. Or, at the very least, thinking more about it. If you squirm at the idea of even sleeping in the buff while in the privacy of your bedroom, don’t dismiss this too quickly. The new nudism – or neo-nudism – is both civilised and uncivilised, responsible and irresponsible. And, if you avert your eyes, you could be missing out…
Personally, I’m not exactly a newbie to nudism. I grew up in what can only be described as a naked household, where our bathroom had an open-door policy. Even as a teenager, it wasn’t uncommon for a conversation to occur while my parents, my sister or I were in the shower, and it’s a habit that’s stuck with me. As an adult, I’m the gym-goer who blow-dries her hair in the changing room without a towel on (sorry, not sorry). I even faced a housemate who’d been living with us for less than 24 hours with a full-frontal display as I made the walk between my bedroom and the shower.
But there is a difference between this type of practical, fleeting nudity that is necessary when washing or dressing and choosing to sit around in the nude for extended periods as you go about social niceties. In the past, I would never have dreamed of attending an organised nudist event, because I imagined it to be like a comedy skit of middle-aged men with tangerine tans doing lunges. But, in today’s era, this is no longer the case.
Celebrities like Cameron Diaz, Diane Kruger and Emma Stone are famous fans of skinny-dipping, while Eva Mendes has said, “I love being nude. I do everything in the nude, even the gardening.” Meanwhile, results from a new survey carried out by British travel company Sunshine showed that swimming sans swimmers was ranked as the top fantasy holiday activity, if only people had the courage. The American Association for Nude Recreation (yes, there is such a thing) estimates that 52 million Americans have tried skinny-dipping. What’s more, naked yoga is increasingly popular (there are now classes in both Sydney and Melbourne) and TripAdvisor has even published a list of the best nude activities to partake in around the world, including nude Olympics on Maslin Beach, which is the first official nudist beach here in Australia. We’re not talking about the Miley Cyrus school of nudism. Supporters insist it’s not about flaunting what you have; it’s about achieving a sense of freedom.
Turns out there are health benefits, too. Research from the University of Northern Iowa found that nudists have significantly higher rates of body self-acceptance, while a study of teenagers at a New York nudist camp found the attendees there were “extraordinarily well-adjusted, happy and thoughtful”. Try thinking about it this way – when you’re at a nudist beach, it’s not full of bodies that have been Photoshopped or filtered to be more flattering. In fact, as a straight woman, it’s very rare for me to have the opportunity to see another woman’s body in all its flawed finery.
So, let’s get to the bottom of my story (pun intended). At my nudist networking event, did I look? You bet I did! Not in a weird way, but from a place of curiosity. I’d been worried everyone would be standing around posing, but nobody seemed concerned about sucking their tummies in. Instead, we all sat around in a way that felt comfortable, even if it meant having a little belly roll on show. I now understand why so many therapists advocate people standing naked in front of the mirror – it really does boost body acceptance and help you become more comfortable with the skin you’re in.
At this point, I have to add a vital disclaimer: there’s a time and a place for nudism. I am in no way suggesting that you streak down a main street or follow the lead of the British tourist who was arrested last June for taking a naked group photo on top of Malaysia’s highest mountain.
Instead, I would recommend visiting a dedicated nudist spot, such as the Tea-Tree Lakes in Byron Bay or Red Ochre Beach (part of the Lake Munmorah Conservation Area on the NSW central coast), where I’ve been convinced to go naked-surfing next weekend. There’s also the annual As Bare As You Dare naked bike ride around Melbourne, but that one just might take some working up to.
Still not convinced? You can even think of it as professional development (of sorts). You never know who you might meet or what career progression might come from it. At Deep Creek, my most surprising networking opportunity came when I was sitting in that hot spring (which was known as ‘the womb’). I met a guy there known as Hippie Dave who wore nothing but an orange sarong rolled up like a belt.
Did I judge him? Yes – quickly and unfairly. But I later learned ‘David’ worked for the US government and that we had more than 50 contacts in common on LinkedIn. It was a stark reminder we shouldn’t judge people based on their appearance or on first impressions.
I’m not saying bosses should take casual Friday one step further, but I do believe we could all benefit from a dressing down sometimes (even if it’s in the privacy of your own back garden). My advice? This weekend, strip down and dance around! The best thing: this is one trend you don’t need to update your wardrobe for.

Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

luvthemgiants

Offline Craig

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Amy Molloy strips off in the name of neo-nudism
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 04:09:28 am »
Ya that was a really good read, thanks for posting Danee.

Offline NakedShadow

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Vivre Sa Vie
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 05:07:38 am »
good read. Hope to visit deep canyon someday.

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 06:46:32 am »
I would agree that the neo-naturism thing is really happening. I was on a nude beach on Tuesday and there was probably 60-80 naked people on the beach and several dozen naked women. 

The thing is I was probably the oldest one on the beach and the youngest ( I found through chatting with the group) 17.  This was not possible three years ago.

I find the same thing around Byron Bay of an increasing number of young women and men are comfortable on nude beaches - absolutely no interest in Clubs or planned events, but the beach is fabulous.
I may be nude but at least my mind is open