Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The 3 reasons why naturism is not embraced and accepted by more people  (Read 7376 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
From: https://nuetheureux.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/the-3-reasons-why-naturism-is-not-embraced-and-accepted-by-more-people/

While I was reading « Naked Hiking », the book about naked hiking from Richard Foley, the chapter written by Howard Anderson, titled Free Range Naturist, made me realize the three reasons why naturism is not embraced and accepted by more people. In this chapter, the author goes into the details of the memes, those cultural elements transmitted from people to people by non-genetic means. This chapter brought back memories of conversations I had with my spouse or friends about naturism. When thinking about them, they revolve around three elements « transmitted » by the family and society against naturism and nudity:

• You can’t do that. You cannot be naked in public, nudity is private or nudity is for animals. All those sentences are preconceived, without rational objective reasons. This is my parents, my reverend, or my education that taught me that nudity was a private matter. Full stop! What happens if I feel good naked and am confronted with the « You can’t do that » that I was taught? Well, you may end up with a shrink to solve your own internal battles or accept this well-being and decide to live the naturist lifestyle, a healthy and positive one. Because in fact, yes, you can do that! There millions of naturists in the whole world. Naturism is legal in a vast majority of countries, including, in some, outside of naturists structures that define naturism boundaries.
  • I am not beautiful enough. I’m too fat, too thin, have too many scars, etc. Society has applied so much its ideal body distorting mirror that body shame got into our minds slowly. When you go to a nudist beach or a nudist resort, you immediately realize there are very few, if any, perfect bodies. All naturists are men and women who accept their own body as it is. They can practice sports, eat healthy and take care of themselves, but they do not hide their body flaws being a clothing armor. The joy of nudity kills any body shame.
  • It’s not hygienic. It’s true that sitting bare bottom on a chair is not hygienic, no need for a deep explanation. It’s the reason why every naturist always goes around with her/his towel, so she/he can sit on it. It’s certainly the number one rule of any naturist respectful behavior. It’s generally one that is on display in places like cafés and restaurants.
Those three reasons are memes, transmitted and replicated par our parents and society. The same goes with associating nudity and sexuality. Every naturist knows that by dissociating nudity and sexuality, le human body can be naked with it being seen as the precondition to a sexual act. Naturists are not having sex all day long. It’s not that naturists do not have sex, but this is a private matter like for a vast majority of people, naturists and non-naturists alike.
The challenge with those memes is the stronger they are, the more difficult they are to change or to prevent from replicating, even by using rational reasons. Asking a religious fundamentalist to become naturist is near to impossible since his/her anti-nudity meme is so strong. As such, have more people accepting naturism et being able to be naked in a greater number of places is a never ending battle. However, by realizing the anti-naturist memes revolve around the above three reasons, every naturist can explain rationally and emotionally what naturism brings in joy, simplicity and well-being.
We cannot convert everybody to this wonderful lifestyle, but with patience and by living our naturist life, naked and happy, we contribute to a better world, where nudity will eventually become one of the available clothing options.
Get Naked, Stay Naked, Live Naked and Share the Naked Love!
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

JT

I still look at myself as being pretty new to naturism and nudism.  But when I read this, I really try hard to understand, and rationalize the idea of how being nude is bad, wrong or unhygienic or what ever reason is dope freed as to why we can't or shouldn't

It makes no common sense to me
So I advocate for more education in the educational facilities....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:34:23 pm by JT »

Offline TheNudeBot

• Guy Talk
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 8
The 1st 2 are why I'm even here. It's just flat out comfortable, and far more natural the this "perfectionist" (that seems rude to the word) world seems to find believable
Hanging out with everything out

Offline Sunlover

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Nude whenever possible
  • Referrals: 0
You can’t do that. You cannot be naked in public, nudity is private or nudity is for animals. This is my parents, my reverend, or my education that taught me that nudity was a private matter. Full stop! What happens if I feel good naked and am confronted with the « You can’t do that » that I was taught? Well, you may end up with a shrink to solve your own internal battles or accept this well-being and decide to live the naturist lifestyle, a healthy and positive one.
You know what? This reminds me so much of some most wrong examples how humanity was like in the past. Negroes can't do that, black children must not play together with white kids, women must not vote since they're just women not the fully respected citizens, native American cultures being too primitive so they have to undergo a genocide performed by the better Europeans... ugh, this is such a bullshit, you can't do this because it's the way someone said it is, period. Not a bit of a try for an explanation. Oh, wait, why is that? Oh, of course - cause there IS NO explanation why people who like to go in the nude should be condemned. Right, so "better" keep sticking to the pointless statement of "you can't do this, it's for animals" and such. You know how I would answer to such a silly argument? "You can't breathe since animals do so; it's so anti-human!". I mean, c'mon you silly textile warriors, give it a try and think harder :)

Naturism is legal in a vast majority of countries, including, in some, outside of naturists structures that define naturism boundaries.
I would doubt that. If only you count the countries with dominant majority of Muslims where there's so severe treating of people who would get naked in public, and I mean severe including death penalties... then all the countries where it's not THAT shitty but still generally forbidden, I would call it the opposite - that vast majority of countries actually ban naturists from living their naked way. Except for some more or less official (or just not patrolled) places, we can't be nude when we want, Danee :) However, spreading a good word and living our way might change something, maybe? :)
Feel free to send me PMs on any subject!

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
You can’t do that. You cannot be naked in public, nudity is private or nudity is for animals. This is my parents, my reverend, or my education that taught me that nudity was a private matter. Full stop! What happens if I feel good naked and am confronted with the « You can’t do that » that I was taught? Well, you may end up with a shrink to solve your own internal battles or accept this well-being and decide to live the naturist lifestyle, a healthy and positive one.
You know what? This reminds me so much of some most wrong examples how humanity was like in the past. Negroes can't do that, black children must not play together with white kids, women must not vote since they're just women not the fully respected citizens, native American cultures being too primitive so they have to undergo a genocide performed by the better Europeans... ugh, this is such a bullshit, you can't do this because it's the way someone said it is, period. Not a bit of a try for an explanation. Oh, wait, why is that? Oh, of course - cause there IS NO explanation why people who like to go in the nude should be condemned. Right, so "better" keep sticking to the pointless statement of "you can't do this, it's for animals" and such. You know how I would answer to such a silly argument? "You can't breathe since animals do so; it's so anti-human!". I mean, c'mon you silly textile warriors, give it a try and think harder :)

Naturism is legal in a vast majority of countries, including, in some, outside of naturists structures that define naturism boundaries.
I would doubt that. If only you count the countries with dominant majority of Muslims where there's so severe treating of people who would get naked in public, and I mean severe including death penalties... then all the countries where it's not THAT shitty but still generally forbidden, I would call it the opposite - that vast majority of countries actually ban naturists from living their naked way. Except for some more or less official (or just not patrolled) places, we can't be nude when we want, Danee :) However, spreading a good word and living our way might change something, maybe? :)

FYI, I did not write that article. I gave the link at the beginning of it.  (I think you thought I wrote it)

rdfcguy

I think a large part of it comes down to personal comfort, too. Even if society treats nudity as not illegal, many people still would rather keep their clothes on for one reason or another.

Offline JOE

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I am Joe. Joe is me.
  • Referrals: 10
I think a large part of it comes down to personal comfort, too. Even if society treats nudity as not illegal, many people still would rather keep their clothes on for one reason or another.

I think the larger reason stems from our body images. People who are modest will pass on their modesty to others and its a downward spiral. This stems down generation to generation. Likewise, because our peers already have this mindset, being naked in public with others is viewed as "strand" and "dirty". Its a true shame.

rdfcguy

I think the larger reason stems from our body images. People who are modest will pass on their modesty to others and its a downward spiral. This stems down generation to generation. Likewise, because our peers already have this mindset, being naked in public with others is viewed as "strand" and "dirty". Its a true shame.

Modesty is not a "downward spiral". It's just a preference. Take my dad, for example. I've never discussed nudism with him, but he said he's aware of it and he sees it as eccentric but not a bad thing. However, he'd rather not go naked himself or live in a place where public nudity is common that he'd see it.
So what if people think it's strange? They aren't comfortable with feeling exposed, and we should not treat them as our enemies because of it. We should only concern ourselves with those who are belligerently opposed to our lifestyle and seek to encroach on it so that we lose the legal ability to go out naked.

Offline Sunlover

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Nude whenever possible

FYI, I did not write that article. I gave the link at the beginning of it.  (I think you thought I wrote it)
Yeah, this is how I took it indeed, but it doesn't change my answer for the statements included in the text you quoted, it only changes my adversary :)
Feel free to send me PMs on any subject!

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
I encourage you @SunloverPL , to leave comments below the original writing on his blog. 

highglyder

Re: The 3 reasons why naturism is not embraced and accepted by more people
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 03:00:05 am »
So I advocate for more education in the educational facilities....

That won't make for good social soldiers that do as they are told, no questions asked.  You are a revolutionist in the making and are now on a list.  Don't you dare suggest that the status quo can be changed!!

In all seriousness though, full agreement.

Offline Caliboy

• Guy Talk
  • Topless with bottoms
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 11:41:33 pm »

Modesty is not a "downward spiral". It's just a preference. Take my dad, for example. I've never discussed nudism with him, but he said he's aware of it and he sees it as eccentric but not a bad thing. However, he'd rather not go naked himself or live in a place where public nudity is common that he'd see it.
So what if people think it's strange? They aren't comfortable with feeling exposed, and we should not treat them as our enemies because of it. We should only concern ourselves with those who are belligerently opposed to our lifestyle and seek to encroach on it so that we lose the legal ability to go out naked.

Exactly this!!!!!

Most of my family are quite comfortable in the nude. But if someone is not, then we certainly don't say anything negative to them! It is just personal preference. If a person is uncomfortable nude, or uncomfortable seeing others nude, that is their right.

As @eta says, the issue is those who wish to take away our right of choice, not the tolerant non-participants.
Ironic, the notation in my status: "Topless with Bottoms"
In real life, it is more often "bottomless with top"

Offline NudeNathan

• Bare Squad - Moderation Division
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I come with my own background music
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 12:55:12 am »

Exactly this!!!!!

Most of my family are quite comfortable in the nude. But if someone is not, then we certainly don't say anything negative to them! It is just personal preference. If a person is uncomfortable nude, or uncomfortable seeing others nude, that is their right.

As @eta says, the issue is those who wish to take away our right of choice, not the tolerant non-participants.
:groupthow  :like :agree
Like all your posts, very well said!

BellaJordan

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 01:28:06 am »
 The sad thing is now today is that most of the general society equates nudity to sexuality that the only reason you're s nudist is to get down and dirty.   When it really isn't because nudism is a personal preference and choice that you feel comfortable enough to be around other people without clothes on because you acceptt yourself and you also acceot others.  Mostly it's not a problem because you don't see it as a wrong
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:32:37 am by BellaJordan »

rdfcguy

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 02:58:50 am »
The sad thing is now today is that most of the general society equates nudity to sexuality that the only reason you're s nudist is to get down and dirty.   When it really isn't because nudism is a personal preference and choice that you feel comfortable enough to be around other people without clothes on because you acceptt yourself and you also acceot others.  Mostly it's not a problem because you don't see it as a wrong

I agree with you. However, it doesn't help our case that a lot of nudists just happen to want to get down and dirty anyway regardless of casual unclothed-ness. I think that also sews some of the seeds of confusion.