Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Learning HTML  (Read 246 times)

Offline cpen05

• I'm too blessed to be dressed ><N>
  • Shouting it out loud
  • unstressed = undressed; no curse means no clothes
  • Referrals: 6
    • My twitter feed
Learning HTML
« on: May 02, 2016, 12:12:50 pm »
I am interested in teaching others how to write basic HTML and CSS; what book would you recommend to accomplish the task? (I'm not opposed to referring to google, but it would be good to have a printed work to reference for basic tags.)

I have a variety of books that I like, which include HTML, XHTML and CSS by Castro (6th edition), but that book seems to be a bit outdated now. Should I just go with the newest edition (8th) of that book or get another book entirely?
John 8:32 Truth=freedom
><> (Christianity) + Naturism = ><N> Christian Naturist
"We must pray for the courage to endure the scorn of the sophisticated world"- Justice A. Scalia
Once we existed in colonies; now, we are free. ><N>
Proud to be an American Conservative Nudist

Offline DrgHybrid

• The Furry
  • Bare Squad - Moderation Division
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Mauler the Dragon Hybrid
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Learning HTML
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:32:00 am »
Honestly, I'm not sure how good books really are anymore. At least just straight path. Possibly side by side with a laptop or something might work.

That being said, I learned from a book mostly back in college but I haven't written a word of code in years. Sites like w3schools are fantastic anymore. Maybe seeing how they do things and make your own notes from that when trying to teach it to others. Create your own material and plan for it. As per with many books we learn more then what we really need to know. Many books might even go into a little bit of a history lesson as far as how coding originated and it's various uses, but that would be pretty useless information and might just end up causing a brain fart.

So yah, ultimately, I'd still say experiment and write up your own. I would personally think it would be a fun thing to do as well.
In tenebris, lucem inveni. Et morte, vitae inveni.

Offline jonath

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 05:11:02 pm »
Totally agree. I really like books but for teaching a programming course they are not very useful. The best thing to do is actually doing it. Tools like jsfiddle are great. They are online, you dont need to install anything, they are free and you can learn a lot.

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:59:16 pm »
Also: Your browser's developer tools (ctrl+shift+i).
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

lvxandlight

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 04:06:00 am »
codeschool.com, codecademy.com, and w3schools.com are good resources

rdfcguy

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 04:22:48 pm »
codeschool.com, codecademy.com, and w3schools.com are good resources

All great resources that I have used. I also suggest bento.io.