Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Nvidia Announcement  (Read 1467 times)

nudist18

Nvidia Announcement
« on: May 08, 2016, 09:00:15 am »
Alright gamers! Especially those of us who game on PC. Who here is excited for the announcement of the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 graphics cards? I have to say, the prospect of having something even more powerful than a Titan X or SLI 980s is an incredible one. However, we have yet to see it tested with real world gaming and benchmarks, natural, with no overclocking. Regardless though! Who is getting excited for the announcements? And do you plan on upgrading your rigs (assuming you are a PC gamer) to include one of these new beauties? Or will you be holding off? Or do you hold a preference for the AMD cards? I want to hear some thoughts about this!

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Nvidia Announcement
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 10:05:38 am »
Pretty looks are rather low on my priority list when it comes to PC hardware budgeting, and that includes graphics cards. Took me enough hesitation to get a 950, which is pretty far on the low end of current-generation GTX cards (though better than the 750/750Ti), because I needed three digital outputs and wanted both two DVI-D ports and DisplayPort along with HDMI.
And even if I were interested, I would prefer to wait for comparative benchmarks against the R9 4xx cards. Nvidia has been my go-to choice in the past, but their business practices like deliberately hindering older cards and having game developers incorporate a middleware that takes measures to make the competition perform worse is enough to reconsider major purchases, not to mention AMD's efforts in driving the industry forwards vs. Nvidia's exclusivity grabs, like AMD pushing their adaptive sync implementation into the DisplayPort standard, whereas Nvidia promotes a proprietary solution that requires a $100 piece of hardware in the monitors. Plus AMD is targeting low power consumption for this release, which has been one of their weak points in the past years.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

nudist18

Re: Nvidia Announcement
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 04:38:55 am »
Pretty looks are rather low on my priority list when it comes to PC hardware budgeting, and that includes graphics cards. Took me enough hesitation to get a 950, which is pretty far on the low end of current-generation GTX cards (though better than the 750/750Ti), because I needed three digital outputs and wanted both two DVI-D ports and DisplayPort along with HDMI.
And even if I were interested, I would prefer to wait for comparative benchmarks against the R9 4xx cards. Nvidia has been my go-to choice in the past, but their business practices like deliberately hindering older cards and having game developers incorporate a middleware that takes measures to make the competition perform worse is enough to reconsider major purchases, not to mention AMD's efforts in driving the industry forwards vs. Nvidia's exclusivity grabs, like AMD pushing their adaptive sync implementation into the DisplayPort standard, whereas Nvidia promotes a proprietary solution that requires a $100 piece of hardware in the monitors. Plus AMD is targeting low power consumption for this release, which has been one of their weak points in the past years.

I can totally feel you on that. I was on the 600 series of Nvidia cards prior to building my current rig and putting in a GTX 970 just because I had the extra money lying around. I have to agree with you on looking towards the AMD R9 4xx series of cards being released. Nvidia promoting that proprietary solution is really bothering me, especially because a 1080p G-Sync monitor is so much more extra money than just a standard 1080p monitor. To which, I give AMD some serious praise for their sync implementation, and honestly, if they keep that up I'll end up getting my next GPU from them. I think their announcement comes next month? I really can't wait to see how the AMD vs Nvidia battle goes after that point.