Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: We Asked a Young Nudist Why Young People Aren't Nudists Anymore  (Read 12411 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
From an article online

As a Canadian nudist community struggles to recruit younger members, a 27-year-old leading naturist explains why under-30s prefer to keep their clothes on.   
The Van Tan Club claims to be Canada's oldest nudist club, and it's certainly amongst the most picturesque. Nestled on the densely forested lower slopes of Grouse Mountain, the naturists who drive up its winding private road are rewarded with a view of the Burrard Inlet and Greater Vancouver. Despite all its beauty, and its facilities (a wood-burning sauna, shuffleboard, and a pool) the Van Tan has a problem—it's finding it impossible to recruit younger members.

CBC News reports the Van Tan Club is currently in the middle of a recruitment crisis. According to member Daniel Jackson, 51, the club's membership has been declining since its peak in the 70s, when they boasted around 150 members. Now only around 50 or 60 members still attend—and none of them are getting any younger.
Fellow member Linda Kent, 65, told CBC that it would be nice to attract a younger crowd because, well, free manual labour. "We have a few younger members, but not a lot of younger members, and it would be nice to have younger members because we're getting too old to do the physical work. Somebody's gotta do it!" To find out why clothing-optional, manual-labouring young 'uns are in short supply in nudist clubs, Broadly spoke to Felicity Jones, the 27-year-old co-founder of Young Naturists and Nudists America.
Jones tells me that the memberships of national naturist organizations have been decreasing in popularity over the last few decades. Both the American Association for Nude Recreation and The Naturist Society are in decline, although Jones suggests their pricing models may be to blame. A weekend away at a naturist resort can easily set you back $500. Despite this, society and young people in general are becoming more accommodating of public nudity. According to a 2015 study from the Naturist Education Foundation, over a third of Americans had tried social skinny dipping or nude sunbathing (up from 15 percent in 1983), while over a quarter of Americans would consider going nude at a clothing-optional beach (with 43 percent of 18 to 29 year olds willing to try it).

n Jones' view, established naturist clubs are failing to connect with potential nudists. "The big problem in the nudist world today is a lack of marketing savvy. Most nudist clubs' websites look like they haven't been updated since 1997. They aren't using social media and all the online tools that are available today. They don't how to use the Internet in a time when everyone, especially young people, heavily relies on the Internet to find places and things to do."

Families swimming at a naturist resort in France. Photo via Wikimedia Commons

ones tells me that some naturist clubs even go out of their way to deter the curious. "I know one club that intentionally doesn't answer emails from potential new visitors, the logic being that if they're serious about visiting, they'll call." Despite the fact that every naturist website you'll ever read professes to be an inclusive, welcoming place, this isn't always the case. "Some clubs will discriminate against people with body or genital jewellery, which has become so common among young people today, and against single men and even sometimes single women."
The effect of this is to deter potential naturists from joining the movement. Often, those interested in nudism will simply get naked in a less official setting, rather than forking out money for expensive membership fees. "Young people generally don't have as much disposable income, so a club needs to be affordable if they're to visit regularly."
Unsurprisingly, most young people aren't exactly thrilled by the prospect of spending their weekends hanging out with those twice, or even thrice their age—no matter how nice they may be. "Sometimes young people show up to a resort and are not as interested when they see everyone is twice their age. Not that they can't make friends with older people, but a 20-something is in such a different stage of life compared to a retiree."
Jones questions whether media-reinforced ideas abut the 'perfect' body might also be to blame. "I think some young people are personally not into the idea because of body image issues. They're too self-conscious about their bodies and have anxiety about others seeing whatever parts they're insecure about. Women especially. They're influenced by the 'perfect body' that shows up everywhere in the media and advertising. But naturists are not models. They come in all shames and sizes. It's an accepting environment, and no one cares that you have scars or wrinkles or belly fat."
For anyone fed up of their tan lines and wanting to feel the warm caress of the sun on exposed skin, take Jones' advice: "Try it once and see what it's like. You can go to a public nude beach and undress at your own pace. If it's not for you, okay! But you might just love it and never want to put on a swimsuit again."
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline DrgHybrid

• The Furry
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Mauler the Dragon Hybrid
  • Referrals: 2
Re: We Asked a Young Nudist Why Young People Aren't Nudists Anymore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 12:50:22 am »
I can see why it's in decline and afraid that it might be a dying thing.

The one visit I had to a nudist resort I was abit amazed at seeing some younger people there, but for the most part, it was mostly older people. Had a couple of families there with little kids.

When I was first starting to look into the nudist lifestyle, the internet was literally flooded with pictures from Russia or the hippy-era. To many Americans, Russia kinda seems like a backwards country and they have to do everything differently. (Not trying to sound racist or anything. This was just the view I received when I was younger.) And when it came to the hippy-era, we didn't want to be like our parents or Grandparents. Even worse, the ones that have seen some of the documentaries of the colony that existed in Hawaii, it further destroyed the ideals of the lifestyle. In the documentaries it was normal for people sitting around smoking drugs all day. Incest. Sex with minors. Free loving. Things like that just leave a bad taste in peoples mouths for decades to come.

Let us not forget that in Western culture, that nudism is considered taboo still. As stupid as that is, many people believe it to just be horrible.

I think it will eventually come back around. History is known to repeat itself. But it might just be another hippy-era.
Private message is open to everyone! Feel free to message me if you have any problems or need help with anything.

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 12:55:41 am »
I am not so pessimistic myself.  As the article says, it is NOT that the younger generation are not into it, it is -- in America at least, but there ARE exceptions and I can name one in particular -- that the cost of going to a club is high, the promotion is not there, the care taking is not there and so, its real outdoor naturism. Which to me, is not a bad thing at all.   AANR fucked up and they still fuck up.  Europe? They get it.

Riot.EXE

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 09:01:32 am »
Read this article earlier, and it didn't go where I think it would. It's not much different from any other time the topic ever came up in nudist communities. (no one's asking why there aren't more PoC's in nudism, which is a cause for concern, but hey...not quite the point right now.)

As I said elsewhere, nudity in and of itself is slowly become more and more normalized among people, through "reality TV" and just generally more lax mindsets towards the naked body. I know tons of people that have no issue being casually naked, but don't call themselves nudists or naturists, myself included.

The point is, The nudism movement needs to actually move forward, because the only direction it's going right now is 6 feet deep. HOWEVER, if the normalization of nudity at all continues moving in a positive direction, does it really matter if nudism dies? Is the label even necessary anymore? You all would still get the lifestyle you want, and more people would be accepting of it...without having to be some card carrying member of who knows what traveling to bumble-fuck nowhere to do something you could and should be able to do in your own damn backyard.

Offline Paul

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • I go nude every day, cuz baby, I was born this way
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 08:28:16 pm »
I am not so pessimistic myself.  As the article says, it is NOT that the younger generation are not into it, it is -- in America at least, but there ARE exceptions and I can name one in particular -- that the cost of going to a club is high, the promotion is not there, the care taking is not there and so, its real outdoor naturism. Which to me, is not a bad thing at all.   AANR fucked up and they still fuck up.  Europe? They get it.

I am honestly curious about how "AANR fucked up".  I joined AANR out of a (possibly childish) notion that to be taken seriously by the nudist community as a single nudist (before I was with my girlfriend and she began joining me) that I "needed" to join.  But I'm finding a lot of nudists my age are not fans of AANR and I am wondering why, and if there is a different organization I should be supporting.
Slaínte,

Paul

Offline The_Xenologer

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 09:20:23 pm »
I joined the local naturist club here, and only ever went to one event (nude bowling). While nude bowling itself was pretty fun, all but one person there was 40+. That in itself wouldn't have deterred me necessarily, but the older folk were not friendly. They didn't come up to greet me as a new member, kept to themselves, and when I did try to initiate convesation, they seemed to find me a nuisance. I don't know how they expect to keep their club alive when they're that indifferent towards new members.
“A mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone.”

-Tyrion Lannister

Maverick

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 03:49:18 pm »
As I said elsewhere, nudity in and of itself is slowly become more and more normalized among people, through "reality TV" and just generally more lax mindsets towards the naked body. I know tons of people that have no issue being casually naked, but don't call themselves nudists or naturists, myself included.

In general, there are more ways to see a naked body now than ever before. The problem is, most of the "mainstream" ways sexualize and/or shame the naked human body. (Not to mention shaming people with "undesirable" body types, but that's a whole different issue.) People might have more lax mindsets toward it, but at the same time they might not necessarily stop to think that there is more to being naked than sex. Or that people who actually enjoy being naked simply for the sake of being naked are somehow backwards.

I think TV shows like "Naked and Afraid" are a step in the right direction, but there's still a way to go.

rc

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 08:12:28 pm »
I agree with the article and do fear that Naturism is dying out because of the lack of marketing, and use of Internet when the group I used to go to in Denver was running I was 18/19 years old and most times the only people close to that age were 30. I think more organisations that hold events for 18-30 year old's is the only key to saving Naturists. 

N.M.S.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 09:32:11 pm »
I agree. Especially with the cost aspect and also it doesn't seem to me that groups like aanr do much to reach out to younger members nor do they really seem to care either. I can personally attest to what this article talks about as well with Being the only person in a younger generation at a resort (outside of children who are There with families of course).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:22:47 pm by N.M.S. »

Offline Duncan naturist

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 09:51:22 pm »
I joined the local naturist club here, and only ever went to one event (nude bowling). While nude bowling itself was pretty fun, all but one person there was 40+. That in itself wouldn't have deterred me necessarily, but the older folk were not friendly. They didn't come up to greet me as a new member, kept to themselves, and when I did try to initiate convesation, they seemed to find me a nuisance. I don't know how they expect to keep their club alive when they're that indifferent towards new members.
Yes it is sad that clubs like that can't be more inclusive. I have a feeling though that it wasn't so much the age barrier than the fact that you were a single guy there? I have experienced that if you go as a single male you are considered some kind of threat! I have a partner who isn't into naturism so I went by myself and then (sometimes) you are stereotyped ... However it is not limited to some naturist clubs it is across all facets of society I suppose..

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 10:29:33 pm »
I agree with the article and do fear that Naturism is dying out because of the lack of marketing, and use of Internet when the group I used to go to in Denver was running I was 18/19 years old and most times the only people close to that age were 30. I think more organisations that hold events for 18-30 year old's is the only key to saving Naturists.

I do not believe that Naturism is dying. Not at all. It is growing and more and more younger people are taking part. It is the American CLUBS attendance for youth that is dying and the article explains why.  Not all, but many.  Europe? No. 

Offline Imp of the Sun

• Read-Only
  • Casually Dressed
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 12:25:10 am »
The article lays out the major issues fairly well.  There is a disconnect between the older naturist and the would be younger generation. 

The older generation want to reach out and bring younger people in, but don't know how, and the young people are interested in coming in, but are not finding a place for themselves there. What is truly missing is a catalyst, and some compromises. 

It is going to take a good deal of involvement from both sides.  They older folks are going to have to allow and adapt to change (not an easy thing for older people). To attract and keep a younger crowd, there will have to be more incentive for them to come.  That would mean more activities, and accepting that at times things will busier, nosier, and more energetic.  They will also have to allow younger members to have a real voice in the day to day matters.

The younger generation would also need to contribute.  First is to accept that as things are right now, naturist clubs and resorts are not able to cater an enticing experience to them, they do not know how.  This is where in turn the younger group needs to become involved and show clubs the way.  It needs to become a partnership.  They need to help plan, organize, and follow through on youth oriented events.

And they need to be the voice of the clubs/resorts to reach younger people.  70 year old John and Mary Nudist inviting the teens and twenty-somethings to come hang out is going to have no effect.  But their peers asking them to come check out what they are helping to establish will bring them in.

One of the worst things I read in the article was the one woman saying they need young people to come "do all the manual labor." 
That's the way you sell it?!?  I am always ready and willing to help out in any way I can, but this is not going to make me want to join and club/resort.  It sounds like they want grounds keepers and maintenance workers, not members.

But in all honesty it will require a good bit if work from younger people.  The older generation will not be able to change things without help.  Teach them how to use the Internet and social media effectively.  Teach them how to make things exciting for younger people. Teach them how to reach you.

It's a lot to ask I know.  Personally I believe that it is worth it.  I believe that clubs and resorts need to be preserved for future generations, but they will have to evolve, and allow younger members to take the reins.

Both sides wish things were different, but all the wishing in the world will not change anything, for change to happen it requires action.
~The least interesting man in the world~

rc

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 02:32:05 am »
Since we know that there is a dip in naturism, what ways do you think online groups could provide actual social encounters?

Offline Dario Western

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • The one, The only (according to Google anyway!)
  • Referrals: 16
    • Dario Western's Page
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 01:36:20 am »
Since we know that there is a dip in naturism, what ways do you think online groups could provide actual social encounters?

Facebook is presently *THE* way to go for that.  With the site, you can create events to provide social encounters either as an individual, in groups and on community pages.  Furthermore, you can describe your event and opt to provide online tickets or have people pay at the door.  Plus you can also monitor who is going or not going, and there are group walls where people can ask questions about your event before they decide as to whether they want to attend.

I have been using Facebook for my nudist events since 2008.  Some have been moderately attended, others have had only one or two people. 

It all comes down to learning the art of PR and marketing as has been explained in previous posts.  If you make the event look slick, fresh and upbeat then you'll get people wanting to get involved as they don't want to MOOF (Missing Out On The Fun).

"How ridiculous society is! Why be given a body if you have to shut it away like a rare, rare fiddle?"

steve tanner

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 04:26:38 am »
It's sad if young people don't want to be nude! Because it's the most natural thing!