Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Cobblers Beach - Plan of Management  (Read 12054 times)

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
  • Referrals: 1
Cobblers Beach - Plan of Management
« on: May 24, 2016, 12:34:08 pm »
So I know I said I was no longer going to contribute to the forum - but this is important.

There is a regular review of activities within the parkland around Sydney Harbour and currently the Middle Head area is under consideration.  So I would ask all and sundry to complete the survey within the URL below advising why it is so important to keep Cobblers and Obelisk Beaches as clothing optional - a legal status they have held for nearly 40 years.

If you don't know the area only answer the questions related to the two beaches but please put closing remarks in stating clearly why these beaches must remain clothing optional.

You only have a week to respond so in the manner of all good democracies vote early and often - and please put your age in as the perception is that only creepy old men use these beaches

https://environment.au.citizenspace.com/sydney-harbour-federation-trust/middlehead-planning-information-day
I may be nude but at least my mind is open

Offline NaturesDram

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Cobblers Beach - Plan of Management
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 05:20:21 am »
Hi Leah, I have submitted my form to the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust emphasising the naturist community's love of Cobbler's beach (and mine!).

I hope other people do the same!

Offline Twarls

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 02:47:19 pm »
Just submitted mine too after receiving the email from the forum. Xobblers beach is such a great clothing optional beach, would be a shame to lose it.

Offline NaturesDram

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 09:58:11 pm »
Just a heads up that the draft management plan has now been issued. They are calling for comment on it.

The naturist usage is not at all spelled out as part of the future plan. Indeed, they are looking to increase significantly the accessibility to the beaches and encourage public camping etc. Lots of references to families using the area more. There is no reference to how those aspirations will be married with there being hundreds of naked people on the beach. The silence is the concerning bit for me.

If you want to save Cobblers and Obelisk Beaches as clothing-optioning, please please put in your comments to the Land Management group.

aussieollie

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 05:14:54 am »
If you want to save Cobblers and Obelisk Beaches as clothing-optioning, please please put in your comments to the Land Management group.

Hi all, new here but have been nude on Cobblers many, many times. It's seriously one of the world's best nudist beaches.

I'm going to submit a comment. I'm not from Sydney, but it's a major drawcard as a tourist, and that's probably true of a lot of visitors to Sydney. Ignore the nude-tourist dollar at your peril Sydney!

Also, did I mention it's a great beach?

Ol

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 11:27:53 pm »
Further information -

"The Sydney Harbour Federation Trust (Harbour Trust) has prepared a draft amendment to its Management Plan for Middle Head in Mosman.
The key aims of the Management Plan for Middle Head are to protect the environmental and heritage values of the land; maximise public access; allow for adaptive re-use of buildings; and integrate the site with adjoining lands as part of a unified Headland Park.

The Harbour Trust and NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) manage adjoining lands at Middle Head as public parkland and are coordinating planning and community consultation. Together the Harbour Trust and NPWS are aiming to collaborate on whole-of-headland outcomes such as bushland management and a connected network of paths, to create a unified parkland.

To learn more about the NPWS’ preparation and exhibition of a draft Master Plan for its land at Middle Head visit: https://engage.environment.nsw.gov.au/consult.

The Harbour Trust is inviting submissions from interested individuals and organisations regarding the Draft Amendment to its Management Plan for Middle Head.

The Draft Amendment to the Management Plan will be on public exhibition from Thursday 3 November 2016 to Friday 16 December 2016 and can be viewed at:
www.harbourtrust.gov.au
 Harbour Trust office, Building 28, Best Avenue (off Suakin Drive), Mosman (9am – 5pm Weekdays)
 Mosman Council, Mosman Square, Spit Junction (8:30am – 5pm Weekdays)
 Mosman Library, Library Walk, Spit Junction (Open 7 days check website for opening hours)
 NPWS Office Corner of Middle Head Road and Old Forts Road, Mosman (10am – 4pm Wed & Thurs)
 Office of Environment and Heritage, Level 14, 59-61 Goulburn Street, Sydney NSW 2000 (8.30am – 5pm Weekdays)

Submissions are invited until 5:00pm AEST, Friday 16 December 2016 and should be sent to:

Email: consulttrust@harbourtrust.gov.au
or Post:
Sydney Harbour Federation Trust
PO Box 607
MOSMAN NSW 2088"

The utilisation of Cobblers Beach is interesting - it has historical significance from WWII when it was the location for the submarine nets across Middle Harbour and the Management Consultants what to highlight that and encourage a people to visit the beach to view the remnants of that period. 

While noting that the beach is deemed a nude bathing beach it seems to ignore this fact and looking to improve access (good), create picnic facitilies such as benches and tables and possibly have managed camping.  It fails to recognise that on a good summer's day there will be 200+ naked people on the beach and surrounds lying cheek to jowl on every available square centimetre of available space and that across the day more than 400 people will visit the beach.

it is also suggesting the beach could be used for ocean swims and triathlons without understanding the logistics of these events only noting that the "Sydney Skinny" is held there  and so these other events could also be held there.  It ignores that the "Sydney Skinny" is not a race unlike triathlons and other events so the logistics are completely different.

If you have got this far down the thread please take the time to respond to consulttrust@harbourtrust.gov.au identifying that Cobblers is probably the premier nudist beach in Australia, the beach is already utilised well to it's capacity during the summer months and no action should be taken that has the potential to remove or risk the current standing as Australia's premier nude beach.

Offline notsoshycpl

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 01:39:22 pm »
Any outcome on this yet?

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 10:37:16 pm »
The draft plan of management has been released - the major feature for naturists is the creation of a walking path from Chowder Bay to Middle Head Oval around the edge of the headland.

Interestingly the path has been directed away from Obelisk but goes straight through the grassy area of Cobblers with seating being arranged on the grassy areas for picnics and a rest area for walkers.

It seems that the consultants have completely missed that Cobblers is a nude beach.  From friends in Sydney I know this is being raised with the consultants and National Parks.  The other issue is the plan is quite capital intensive so I think the walkway won't happen given it's value/opposition against other parts of the plan.

Offline notsoshycpl

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 12:47:14 am »
So strange. Thanks for the update!