Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The Elder Scrolls (Part 1)  (Read 1474 times)

PrinceOfNaturism

The Elder Scrolls (Part 1)
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:34:53 pm »
Yeah, I know, it's the middle of June, so this topic is overdue, but hey, better late than never, right? Anyways, let's talk Elder Scrolls!
In 2012, I was first getting into gaming in earnest with Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time on Xbox Classic. But while I was obsessed with the smooth parkour gameplay and narrative brilliance, all my friends were talking about a different game: something big. Something amazing. Something called Skyrim. Now, I could have gone to a Xbox 360-owning friend (I didn't have one at the time), except for the fact that it was rated M. My mom believed in enforcing the ESRB rating system, which in retrospect makes sense (I mean, they must get those ratings for a reason), but at the time, it meant I couldn't play Skyrim or Oblivion. I couldn't even play its predecessor Daggerfall. So, I picked up entry number 3,  Morrowind. And it was amazing. The world. The soundtrack. The story The combat...OK, that part was pure crap. And by the Divines, the mods. Children of Morrowind. The Battlespire. Julan the Ashlander. At times, finding new mods, connecting with the community, it was almost as much fun as the main game. I'll never forget Azura's words after destroying the Heart of Lorkhan, leaping across the hills of Solsthiem as a werewolf, or speaking with living gods. And then, I picked up Oblivion. And it was like lightning struck twice.
You know what, this is getting a little long. I'll have to split this up. Anyway, what are your thoughts on The Elder Scrolls?

Density

Re: The Elder Scrolls (Part 1)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 12:24:44 pm »
I began my journey back in the Morrowind days. It was a simpler time back then...no big graphics of course, no real direction other from you were chosen for something, and combat wasn't the greatest. However, that was immediately dismissed when you started traversing the lands and realizing your actions affected how guilds, ppl, and even towns responded to you. I don't remember what I was specialized in back in them days but I do remember the soundtrack being so deep, the characters being memorable, and joining factions offered certain advantages in other areas you traveled. Being able to ride on a giant flea was hilarious to me but it was well thought out. Fighting the boss took a lot of preparation. It was funny because you only heard about him through rumors and when you finally decided to go fight him, you had a lot of leveling and crafting to prep for up that mountain hike. And you had to make a certain item to defeat him otherwise he wouldn't die and you be wasting your time really. It is my favorite of em all simply because of how old and memorable it was.  :afro:

Offline ZackCarr

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 09:50:38 pm »
Have only played ESO and Skyrim personally and loved Skyrim though found ESO kinda clunky and boring

Offline DrgHybrid

• The Furry
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Mauler the Dragon Hybrid
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 03:20:53 am »
I started in Morrowind but couldn't really get into it. The fact that it was utterly confusing on where to go just ruined it for me. I would generally just end up putting command prompt codes into the game and cheating my way through everything...or just destroying a town and using it as my personal warehouse.

Oblivion I loved. I put countless hours into it but never officially beat it. Dunno why. That's the first game where I really appreciated the amount of detail that was put into the ES games. Even going so far as to graphing an anus onto the horses that you rode. I know, it's just an anus, but to actually see it graphed and created in the game gave me that much more respect for the creators.

Skyrim was awesome. I did actually beat it but it pulled on the heart strings a lot for me on the decisions of the different people or creatures you had to kill. Going and doing my Werewolf quest line was always one of the first things that I did as well. I still play it these days but it's so heavily modded that I can't get very far before it crashes. I really need to learn how to clean it up better.

As far as ESO goes...for me it totally sucked. I tried it during beta and a lot of my friends from WoW went there to begin with. But it was just boring and too simple for an MMO. Honestly it played a lot like a single player game and even though I can get my jollies from a single player...it's not what I want when playing an MMO.
Private message is open to everyone! Feel free to message me if you have any problems or need help with anything.

Offline ZackCarr

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 03:37:06 am »
Definitely agree that ESO is pretty boring