Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Avatar  (Read 16753 times)

randomer909

Re: Avatar
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 12:22:22 pm »
Adam will post his own review but here is one I read tonight.  5 stars.  5. 
Yeah guys, I'm going to see it on Tuesday twice, so I'll either have the write up late Tuesday night or Wednesday afternoon :)

Lisa2408

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 01:11:43 pm »
I  saw it in Cinemaxx in Kassel.
The film , sound and 3D was wonderful

skeeter7206

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 12:59:01 am »
hmmm i wasnt planning on seeing it but so many people are saying it is a good movie! maybe i will see it tomorrow night! ill let you all know what i thought!  :76

Offline Craig

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 01:42:05 am »
I got my tickets for Wednesday, $17.50 a piece, it better be worth it :)

Offline katamari22

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 07:15:57 am »
I really want to see this movie but I am not sure if will be able to. And plus I don't know where I can see it in 3d. blarg

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 01:22:10 pm »
I really want to see this movie but I am not sure if will be able to. And plus I don't know where I can see it in 3d. blarg

Kat, here ya go... :65

Louisville Science Center IMAX
727 West Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202

Stonybrook Cinemas
2745 S. Hurstbourne Pkwy.
Louisville, KY 40220
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

skeeter7206

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 06:19:23 am »
Just saw it!! it was great, although i wished i could have seen it in imax :( i tried convincing my friends to go see it in imax but they are cheepos! but whatever i still thought it was really good! :2345

Karla

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 08:58:43 am »
Just saw it!! it was great, although i wished i could have seen it in imax :( i tried convincing my friends to go see it in imax but they are cheepos! but whatever i still thought it was really good! :2345

You should go off and see it in IMAX anyway by yourself then.

It took me a while to get used to the idea of watching films by myself but it's actually quite good as you can just go, watch the film and then get on with the rest of your life rather than hang around wondering what to do next. Stuart and I are probably going back to see Avatar again. The first time you see it, it's for the story. The second it's to soak in the visual effect of it all.

After it stops being played at cinemas you'll only be able to see it on a DVD or Blue-ray disc.

skeeter7206

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 08:52:06 pm »

You should go off and see it in IMAX anyway by yourself then.

It took me a while to get used to the idea of watching films by myself but it's actually quite good as you can just go, watch the film and then get on with the rest of your life rather than hang around wondering what to do next. Stuart and I are probably going back to see Avatar again. The first time you see it, it's for the story. The second it's to soak in the visual effect of it all.

After it stops being played at cinemas you'll only be able to see it on a DVD or Blue-ray disc.

yeah i plan on seeing it again at imax for sure, even if no one wants to go with me lol. i cant wait to see how awesome all the visual effects look. and btw, nice profile pic Karla! i wish there were places like that where i lived, instead of the giant heaps of dirty snow all around me

Karla

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 11:24:27 pm »
and btw, nice profile pic Karla! i wish there were places like that where i lived, instead of the giant heaps of dirty snow all around me

Thanks!

That was the last stop for photos as we descended the last mountain we climbed this year. The sun was setting and a beautiful straw yellow light had developed. The cold air was also giving the mountains in the distance a very attractive haze. Although it looks really warm, we had to stop taking photos as my body had started shivering and I couldn't stop shaking when Stuart was taking the photos. We had planned to do two mountains that day but the shorter day light hours meant that we only had time to do one.

Funnily enough we're under snow at the moment as well :) Today was gorgeous but far too cold to be naked in the mountains!

randomer909

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 11:58:50 pm »
I've seen the movie today, and I will write up the official review 2moro, but I bet some people aren't going to like it =/

Offline MarkH

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 01:06:58 am »
I saw it last night in 3D. I would have to say that was the most amazing movie I have ever seen!
Mark

Study nature; love nature; stay close to nature. It will never fail you. -Frank Lloyd Wright

Eric

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 01:34:58 am »
The plot was better than I was expecting, with surprises and originality.

Err, the plot was okay, but original? It was Dances With Wolves set in space, with just a dash of Fern Gully and the end of Return of the Jedi thrown in for good measure. In general though, I'm trying to think of single plot point on which he deviated from Dances, but I'm struggling on that.

More disturbingly on the point of the plot was that buried in the cliches and stale social commentary are the racist overtones. It has a strong anti-colonialist message, which does need to be repeated over and over, but Cameron didn't manage to offer any sort of original take or twist on the theme. He even repeats some of the most offensive aspects of the plot; he manages to tell the story of the plight of the Native Americans Na'vi from the perspective of the personal journey of a white guy, who the natives decide to make their leader by virtue of his unique whiteness awesomeness, because in the world of this movie and all others that follow this template, a native would never have been as capable of saving the day as a white person. Throw in the borderline racist stereotype of the "noble savage" with his connection to the environment, and you have a pretty cringe-worthy movie.

Unquestionably, the visuals were amazing. And this is probably one of those rare cases where the visuals can completely carry a movie with an uninspired and cliche story. It was amazing and worth seeing for the art and beauty and little details that went into the world. But I'm very surprised anyone seems to find anything to praise in the story itself.

Karla

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 10:30:34 am »
There is also the social commentary about how people are now finding their own true identities on-line yet do not have the option of living as they want to in real life. Living as his avatar provides him the purpose he has always sought in real life. The bit that really rang true was when he suddenly wakes up in his booth after pledging himself a mate for life as a Na'vi and asking himself what he is doing.

Environmentally minded viewers on the other hand would see the film as making a point about the march of globalisation in the name of consumption rather than quality of life and  how modern day life is unsustainable now that we can no longer expand as a species. Of particular note was how everything on Pandora was interconnected. This is particularly relevant to the whole issue of pollution with globalisation.

The Daily Bigot (otherwise known as The Daily Mail) gave the film only 3 out of 5 stars because the reviewer saw the film as making a point about the invasion of Iraq. After all, the scene with the tree was very reminiscent of the twin towers coming down. The film had many different themes and shouldn't be judged on just one of them.

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 12:58:26 pm »
There is also the social commentary about how people are now finding their own true identities on-line yet do not have the option of living as they want to in real life. Living as his avatar provides him the purpose he has always sought in real life. The bit that really rang true was when he suddenly wakes up in his booth after pledging himself a mate for life as a Na'vi and asking himself what he is doing.

Environmentally minded viewers on the other hand would see the film as making a point about the march of globalisation in the name of consumption rather than quality of life and  how modern day life is unsustainable now that we can no longer expand as a species. Of particular note was how everything on Pandora was interconnected. This is particularly relevant to the whole issue of pollution with globalisation.

The Daily Bigot (otherwise known as The Daily Mail) gave the film only 3 out of 5 stars because the reviewer saw the film as making a point about the invasion of Iraq. After all, the scene with the tree was very reminiscent of the twin towers coming down. The film had many different themes and shouldn't be judged on just one of them.

Thank-you Karla.  I saw a couple of themes as I took in this buffet of visual excellence.  Your description and analysis is right on. 

-D
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/