Naturist Resources > Oceania/Australasia etc.

Nude bathers frustrated with poor public transport to Victorian nude beaches

(1/3) > >>

Danee:
Nude bathers frustrated with poor public transport to Victorian nude beaches demand one in Melbourne

UPDATE 11.45am: HE may be known for his adventurous lifestyle but Water Minister Tim Holding says he won’t be endorsing a nudist beach for Melbourne anytime soon.

"We are always open to new ideas,” Mr Holding said. "But I have to say I won't be frequenting any nudist beach.

"I think the slogan has always been if you've got it flaunt it and I am willing to recognise my limitations and I won't be encouraging the spread of nudism in anyway across Victoria.”

Does Melbourne need a nude beach? If so, where should it be? Join the debate in the comments below

His comments follow calls to legalise a city beach for nudists frustrated by the long commute to the state’s four nude beaches.

Victoria has four nude beaches in Mornington, Torquay and Werribee, but the Australian Naturist Federation claims they are too far away for citypeople who want something closer to home.

Nudist Association of Victoria president Werner Jacob told the Herald Sun he was surveying members to decide which beach they would campaign to have legalised as a nude beach next year.

He said Sandringham, Hastings and Altona were all suitable places.

He said nudists had previously campaigned unsuccessfully to make Sandringham a nude beach, but would still regard it as a possibility.

Free Beaches Victoria spokesman Rob Stephenson said a city nude beach might attract more people in their 20s and 30s who didn't have the time to drive to one of the legal beaches along the coast.

"In the hot weather, there's lots of people going to the beach ... why not do something different? Most people who try skinny dipping get hooked," he said.

Sandringham MP Murray Thompson said he would oppose any proposal for a nude beach in Sandringham for safety and health reasons.

He said families should be encouraged to cover up to lower the risk of skin cancer.

Mr Holding this year became known as State Parliament’s action man after he emerged after days lost in a national park and later dodged protocol to dive at the site of the new tourist attraction the wreck of the HMAS Canberra.

108 comments on this story..

From: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nude-bathers-frustrated-with-poor-public-transport-to-victorian-nude-beaches-demand-one-in-melbourne/story-e6frf7jo-1225810743615

Nude_not_rude:
Oh my what a sad, sad article. I'm ashamed to be an Aussie reading some of those comments too. Too lost for words right now. :(

randomer909:

--- Quote ---We are always open to new ideas
--- End quote ---
Really mate?

Stuart:

--- Quote from: randomer909 on December 18, 2009, 11:58:31 pm ---
--- Quote ---We are always open to new ideas
--- End quote ---
Really mate?

--- End quote ---

He's a politician. He means with a prostitute  :4345

MarkH:

--- Quote from: Toddo on December 18, 2009, 03:41:49 pm ---Oh my what a sad, sad article. I'm ashamed to be an Aussie reading some of those comments too. Too lost for words right now. :(

--- End quote ---
I feel the same. Very disappointing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version