Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: I Went To A Nude Beach And Hated Every Minute Of It  (Read 8110 times)

Offline NakedShadow

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Vivre Sa Vie
  • Referrals: 0
I Went To A Nude Beach And Hated Every Minute Of It
« on: July 31, 2016, 07:52:27 pm »
 Interesting article that I found about a non-nudist woman's attempt in trying out a nude beach. Written by Loryn Brantz

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lorynbrantz/i-went-to-a-nude-beach-and-it-was-kind-of-a-nightmare?utm_term=.vtwL018zR#.uhxn06L3x

"I Went To A Nude Beach And Hated Every Minute Of It

“Instead of feeling like a celebration of my body, it feels more like I’m Cersei taking her walk of shame on Game of Thrones.”

An ill-advised plan is hatched.

I was headed on vacation with my husband to a town with a nude beach for a week, and I decided we absolutely must visit it (no matter how uncomfortable the idea made me). My sweet husband wasn’t crazy about the idea, but being the supportive guy he is, he got on board. There is a swirl of reasons I was attracted to the idea of a nude beach. At 31 years old, I’ve conquered an eating disorder, most of my body dysmorphia, and countless other seemingly unconquerable insecurities.

Last year, when I turned 30, I went on a celebratory bikini walk — it was the only time I had ever worn a bikini out, and it ended up being pretty liberating. And now, one year into my thirties, I’ve been enjoying the graduation-goggled view of my body many other women talk about as their bodies start to change; noticing wrinkles and new soft patches makes you realize how good you had it in your twenties. If only there were a way to bottle up that feeling of enjoying what you have while you have it to give to younger women.

My time with this reasonably ripe body was running out, and I figured I’d better do something with it. Getting naked at the beach seemed like the perfect thing…until it wasn’t.

I call to my husband to put on his bathing suit so we can get going, and he aptly reminds me that we wouldn’t need bathing suits where we’re going.

I laugh at the accuracy and decide to throw on my favorite and most flattering swimsuit, just in case I chicken out. Even though I never wear makeup to the beach, I find myself slathering it on — my tits may be out, but at least my dark circles will be well undercover.

As we drive to the beach I start to get increasingly nervous. I decide to crack open the book I brought to unwind, Sex Object by Jessica Valenti. It seems like fate; the foreword alone shakes me to my core. I find myself tearing up by the end of the first four pages.
Here’s what Valenti writes:

HarperCollins / Via harpercollins.com

I relate to it all so hard it hurts. And it reveals a purpose in my nude-beach expedition that I knew deep down inside but couldn’t find the words to say. I’m doing this nude beach trip to take back my body, which society long ago decided it owned. To take back what’s mine.

I’m doing it to spite the teen boys who weren’t worthy of me awkwardly flashing them in high school, in some bizarre practice of trying to seem desirable. I’m doing it to show the world my body isn’t theirs to force into a size or shape, to decide what happens to my ovaries, or how high my tits should rest. I’m doing it for my fucking self.

This particular beach starts off clothed and slowly turns nude as you get farther down.

I am not a beach bunny. My ancestors descended from snowy mountains. Pale and soft like a Russian cloth doll, I look like I should be draped in wolf pelts to stay warm at any given moment. I put this aside for the moment as we trek down the shore.

At first blush, I’m awestruck. I see several middle-aged women glistening nude in the sun, walking about — lumps and bumps be damned! It feels like a paradise; all I want out of life is to dance naked under the sun and moon with fellow women. I think to myself, I will bring my future daughters here to see bodies that aren’t retouched in magazines.

My daydream comes to a sudden halt when I spot a group of frat boys fully dressed, passing a football nearby.

I suddenly not only don’t want to undress, but I also want to run and hide. I ask my husband why those guys are dressed; he infers that it’s “clothing optional.” It feels weird and unfair that some people on this part of the beach are dressed.

We keep walking, and as we go farther down the beach it becomes apparent that the group of women I saw were the only ones there. The rest of the beach is teeming with older men — penises waving in the sun. As we almost reach the end of the beach, a stalky, silver-haired nude man probably around my father’s age approaches me and says the rest of the beach is too rocky to go down. He may have very well had good intentions, but after a lifetime of being approached by creepy men, a small voice in my head says, “He wants you to stop here so he can see your tits.” I try to ignore it.

This isn’t New York City, I tell myself. These are nudists, this is a respectable beach. We go ahead and take the older guy’s advice, stopping there. I try to be chill and decide to start by taking off just my top.

Almost immediately after taking off my top, I catch the silver-haired man smirking and watching.

Horrified, I quickly grab a piece of clothing and cover my breasts. The man then starts to walk down the beach and I try to calm myself. I give myself a moment to settle and an internal pep talk. Take back your body! I yell in my mind.

With that, I peel off the rest of my clothes. I feel vulnerable and soft, like a snail without its shell simmering in the sun. I try to position myself on the beach chair in a way that covers some of my most private bits. My horror is laced with small bursts of enjoyment when the breeze hits my bare chest.

As I’m having an internal meltdown, I look over to see my husband fully nude, eating a lobster roll, appearing to be having the time of his life — in what seems like a way I could never be. Infuriated at the double standard, I am incentivized more to try to relax and enjoy this experience. I pull my book out for a distraction.

I try to read, but I’m too distracted.

I end up finding ways to hold the book that covers my body, so that passing men can’t see my breasts. The irony of holding a book that says “Sex Object” for coverage is not lost on me. This isn’t working for me.

I make my husband put our umbrella up (a task I usually take care of) in fear of moving in weird positions while nude. I watch as he brazenly does whatever he pleases: running to the ocean, sunning his bottom, having a snack. In a last-ditch effort to enjoy myself, I head to the water for a dip.

Going to the water is OK, but instead of feeling like a celebration of my body, it feels more like I’m Cersei taking her walk of shame on Game of Thrones.

I head back to my chair and spend some time watching passersby. It’s mostly the same men I’ve been seeing wandering around. When two straight couples walk by, in both pairs the male is fully nude, balls swinging about. And in both pairs, the female has her towel draped carefully over her breasts. Feeling defeated, I pull my swimsuit back on.

Obviously this wasn’t the best time, but I’m still glad I did it.

It fueled my fire to try to get the way I feel about my body on level playing ground with the men I saw on the beach (regardless of how they feel about it). Surprisingly, I’m looking forward to trying it again, but at a different beach. Ideally one with more women and more privacy. Hopefully, by my 32nd birthday, the world will be a little more ready for my tits, and I’ll be a little more ready to enjoy them. "

Austins087

Re: I Went To A Nude Beach And Hated Every Minute Of It
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 08:50:07 pm »
Nice read. Thanks for sharing, bud.

Offline Dario Western

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • The one, The only (according to Google anyway!)
  • Referrals: 16
    • Dario Western's Page
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 05:03:21 am »
She sounds like she really needs to get over herself. 
"How ridiculous society is! Why be given a body if you have to shut it away like a rare, rare fiddle?"

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 06:55:18 am »
This is the first experience of many women at nude beaches - she doesn't need to get over herself.
I may be nude but at least my mind is open

Offline Hayley

• Retired Staff
  • Nude without Towel
  • Dances beneath the Stars.
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:09:28 am »

Makes it sound like it's that easy... It's not.

To understand try to imagine how it feels like to be treated like an object (and not even talking about beïng on a nude beach, but what many experience daily). It makes you feel disempowered, demeaned. Makes you feel humiliated, disappointed, unloved, ...

I perfectly understand how she feels and agree with Leah, she does not need to get over herself. I'm sure you don't mean to, but saying she does comes across as insensitive.
It's only forever. Not long at all.

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 10:47:09 am »

How in the world do you make this statement?  I respect you, Dario but would very much like to know your rationale? 
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline naykko220

• Topless with bottoms
  • #notafraid
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:05:53 am »
Nice article that reveals the reality for many newbies.
She's courageous.
I will always be angry against creepy people on nude beaches  :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Free to be nude. Nude to be free

Offline naykko220

• Topless with bottoms
  • #notafraid
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 11:06:42 am »

The problem is not her AT ALL.

The problem is some creepy people on those beaches !
Free to be nude. Nude to be free

Offline KieranJ

• N Forum Veteran
  • Casually Dressed
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 01:49:42 pm »
Even as a guy, my first time at a nude beach felt a little like that. A lot of older guys were obviously trying to get a look at my crotch as they went by. It was extremely offputting.

Perhaps the woman from the article would have had better luck at a club or something.

lbee872

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 02:56:13 pm »
I understand her frustration. Even from a guys perspective. Ive frequented many nude beaches, and sadly her situation is fairly common. It took my girlfriend some time to get used to it and overcome the fear of old guys just staring at her. Its just something you learn to ignore. All we can do as nudist/naturists is stick to our values and be supportive of others. Ignoring the pervs and gawkers is the best we can do. We all deserve to be 100% comfortable in our own bodies.

Offline Marzipan

• Nude without Towel
  • "Enthusiasm for life defeats existential fear."
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 05:17:40 pm »
So can infer with mentions of lobster rolls and the pictures of rocks  that this is the nude beach on Martha's Vineyard. I can see why she would have this reaction on that beach.

Though very tolerated, I think going nude on this beach and walking around takes some boldness. The natural eroding clay cliffs are a big attraction for clothed tourists here, and "going to see the nudists" is also a novelty for some when they walk down the beach to get a closer look at the cliffs.
It isn't really ideal for first timers. Noone wants to feel like a zoo animal, male or female.

It seems like her choice of title may have been a bit overstated, buzzfeed clickbait probably. I think her trepidation was understood, and she was bold to keep at it. Towards the end she seemed quite proud that she was able to have this first time experience and is willing to seek out a different location with a more diverse crowd and vibe.

I'm going there next week, and have never been on a beach nude. I have the similar trepidations of onlookers. I hope to be bold enough to walk around freely, that will be my personal goal.
-Mark from Pennsylvania

Offline Naturalguy87

• Shouting it out loud
  • Can't PM cuz of a banned member lol
  • Referrals: 10
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 09:57:53 pm »
Very interesting article.

I got the impression that she had a preconceived notion that the nude part of the beach would be teeming with nude people of both sexes and all ages.  When in fact, like many nude beaches, it's clothing optional and clothed people visit them as well.  That could lead to a whole separate discussion of why someone would go to a nude beach if they don't plan to get nude, so I'm not gonna go there.  Bottom line, it sucks that her first experience was negative like this, and I hope she's willing to give it another try.

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 10:18:33 pm »
I am curious as to the venue that they went to.   I do think she over-reacted a little bit, reading her reactions to feelings she had.  A little research and networking with various legitimate Naturist non-landed groups would tell her the story of that beach, it's ambience etc.

I noted the comment she felt uneasy when the gentleman smirking after she took off her top.  I am betting he was, as most naturists may be, smiling at a newbie but not mocking them.  We are happy when they take that first ever step.  Who knows. She mentions nothing about woodies or such either.

She was insecure and still is and that is all.  Hopefully she will try it again at a club or resort and then find a naturist venue that is more family friendly. They exist. 

She was not ready to try to ditch her insecurities, that is all.  She didn't do research.

Balls swinging about?  I am happy it was a warm day.   :love2

Offline Naturalguy87

• Shouting it out loud
  • Can't PM cuz of a banned member lol
  • Referrals: 10
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 10:24:36 pm »
Many good points there Danee.  I bet she will try it again in due time.  A beach can be a little intimidating for a first-timer as well (I started with a hot springs myself).

As for balls swinging about...well as I'm sure you know, if it wasn't a warm day, there isn't much swinging cuz they tend to shrivel up  :lol

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 10:35:48 pm »
Many good points there Danee.  I bet she will try it again in due time.  A beach can be a little intimidating for a first-timer as well (I started with a hot springs myself).

As for balls swinging about...well as I'm sure you know, if it wasn't a warm day, there isn't much swinging cuz they tend to shrivel up  :lol

Nothin' wrong with swinginballsies.  Or any other part of the bod.