Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Schumacher returns to F1 for Mercedes in 2010  (Read 3671 times)

Nude_not_rude

Schumacher returns to F1 for Mercedes in 2010
« on: December 23, 2009, 01:57:46 pm »
What do you guys and girls think? Is it just for cash??? He's just signed an 7million Euro, 12month contract.

f1-legend-michael-schumacher-returns-for-mercedes-outfit
Paul Gover From: Herald Sun December 24, 2009 12:00AM

Michael Schumacher Source: AFP

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher has come out of retirement and will return to Formula One racing next year.

Three years after he was eased out of Ferrari following five world title wins for the Italian team, Schumacher is returning to lead a renamed, revitalised and refinanced Brawn team now owned and branded as Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix.

Having retired in 2006, Schumacher, who turns 41 on January 3, will reportedly be paid seven million euros ($A11.32 million) to be on the grid when the new season starts with the Bahrain Grand Prix on March 14.

Should Michael Schumacher get back behind the wheel? Tell us what you think below.

"After a three-year break, I have all the energy again that I was lacking," Schumacher told a teleconference.

Schumacher had been due to make a remarkable return last season for Ferrari - for whom he acted as a consultant after retiring - as a replacement for the injured Felipe Massa but was unable to because of a neck injury.

But the German said the pain was behind him.

"My neck is no longer a problem," Schumacher said.

"Over the summer it was too soon after the accident. Now everything has healed."
The deal makes good on the commitment that originally brought Schumacher into F1 after he was groomed through junior categories and Le Mans sports cars using the German company's cars and cash.

Schumacher was meant to race with Mercedes-Benz in the 1980s but the company never made a 100 per cent commitment to F1, entering instead as an engine supplier and then as a partner with McLaren.

The end of its McLaren partnership, and the takeover of Brawn GP, clears the way for a big-money deal to bring the German superstar back to the sport in a car that will be known as a "Silver Arrow".

Ironically, it was Ferrari that triggered the original talk of a Schumacher comeback, when he was tapped to replace the injured Felipe Massa this year.

Schumacher was keen but injuries he sustained in a motorcycle race crash earlier in the year, including a fractured skull, kept him out of the car.

Talk of a Mercedes deal began about a fortnight ago and the rumours quickly gathered pace, particularly when Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemolo revealed he had released Schumacher from his ambassadorial role with the company after he was told a deal with Brawn was very close.

Schumacher is statistically the most successful driver in F1 history. Apart from his seven titles he has 91 wins and set the fastest lap 76 times, but his career was always marked by controversy.

He rammed both Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve in championship battles, was accused of racing an illegal Benetton in the years when he took his first two titles, and also benefited many times from team orders at Ferrari, which stopped teammates trying to beat him.

Rubens Barrichello was twice forced to pull over to let Schumacher win.

Since his retirement he has stayed fit, despite often being seen smoking cigars, and also begun racing superbikes to satisfy his competitive drive.

He has raced regularly, even qualifying for the world go-kart finals this year and finishing runner-up in the Race of Champions, a multi-discipline motorsport event against a collection of national and world champions in China last month.

- with AFP
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:08:17 pm by Toddo »

Offline Pitti

• Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 8
Re: Schumacher returns to F1 for Mercedes in 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:16:03 pm »
I think he makes it for the money.

Worries me his neck, after a motorcycle accident he should have quite a problem.

Let's hope that the test runs, otherwise arise.
"If war is the answer, then we ask the wrong questions."
(Wenn Krieg die Antwort ist, dann stellen wir die falschen Fragen)

Susan G. Komen

randomer909

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:19:13 pm »
In my opinion, we'll never know. He could be saying he's not doing it for the money, but he might be lying. I think he is in for the money, but he could want to reclaim some of his former glory too

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 14
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:37:45 pm »
Definitely not for the money on any level - ol' Schuey has millions stored away, he's one of the top 5 richest athletes ever, I forget his place in the rankings. I think old Bernie is calling in a favour - F1 ratings are sinking like a stone, and this is exactly what they need to bring sponsors back in. That, and I think he really misses racing, its the only thing he's ever known, and I think he could pull off some surprises next year. I've followed him since 96', and he was one of my massive childhood idols growing up - I really wish him all the best, and I'll definitely be tuning in to watch all the races next season.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:17:46 pm by Alex »
On an extended IYNO break... for now.

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 05:28:42 am »
Yeh I'm thinking that I don't really care why he's doing it, as long as he is competitive, I'll be a keen viewer.

Offline Baseballfan

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:28:31 am »
Schumacher just suffers from Michael Jordan disease. doesn't know when the best time to end your career is.  F1 has become a joke anyways thanks to FIA, and Ecclestone.

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 11:45:50 am »
Schumacher just suffers from Michael Jordan disease. doesn't know when the best time to end your career is.  F1 has become a joke anyways thanks to FIA, and Ecclestone.

By my count, Michael Jordan has 2 comebacks, and both were really successful ^^  3 minute standing ovation anyone? And how has Ecclestone turned F1 into a "joke"?

Offline Baseballfan

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:56:24 pm »

By my count, Michael Jordan has 2 comebacks, and both were really successful ^^  3 minute standing ovation anyone? And how has Ecclestone turned F1 into a "joke"?

Jordan's playing time with the Wizards was ridiculous. He wasn't even in top 15 players in the NBA at that point. And instead of ending his career with a incredible championship clinching shot he finished his career on a pathetic wizards non playoff team. He had nothing to prove. And he upset many bulls fans. A great champion goes out on top.

Ecclestone made F1 a joke by : allowing Brawn GP to be boughtout, allowing Constructors to have an A and B team, moving races to Asia, where most of population doesn't give a damn. 

Oh, most of the races are boring, becuase pole position wins most of the time! Almsot zero lead changes.
F1 races belong in Europe, Japan, North America, South America, NOT countries which have little to zero connection with automobile racing what so ever.

The sport was better 15 years ago. Ecclestone's ever increasing greed has ruined the sport for fans access and for competition.

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 01:21:06 pm »
Ecclestone made F1 a joke by : allowing Brawn GP to be boughtout, allowing Constructors to have an A and B team, moving races to Asia, where most of population doesn't give a damn. 

Oh, most of the races are boring, becuase pole position wins most of the time! Almsot zero lead changes.
F1 races belong in Europe, Japan, North America, South America, NOT countries which have little to zero connection with automobile racing what so ever.

The sport was better 15 years ago. Ecclestone's ever increasing greed has ruined the sport for fans access and for competition.

Ecclestone had nothing to do with Brawn getting bought out, it was all down to Mercedes and partners buying their 75.1% stake in Brawn.

And to be honest, the Asian races are some of the most interesting of the whole season. Singapore at night? The incredible new track at Abu Dhabi? Or how about Suzuka with its tight corners and long straights? I'd say that the Asian races are some of the most exciting on the calendar as some of the European races have become predictable due to old track layouts designed in the 80's and predictable race strategies. Plus, there were only 7 Asian GP's this year, with with 9 in Europe, meaning that Europe still hosts the majority of the races.

I also think to say that Asian countries have zero connection to racing is a bit off the mark to be honest. The Japanese have a long history of racing, including motorcycles and normal production cars. Most of Asia is absolutely car mad, and informal races are held everywhere. Just because a country or continent doesn't have an established history of expensive, track based racing, doesn't mean F1 should give them the finger and snub them for it.

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 02:01:24 pm »

Ecclestone had nothing to do with Brawn getting bought out, it was all down to Mercedes and partners buying their 75.1% stake in Brawn.

And to be honest, the Asian races are some of the most interesting of the whole season. Singapore at night? The incredible new track at Abu Dhabi? Or how about Suzuka with its tight corners and long straights? I'd say that the Asian races are some of the most exciting on the calendar as some of the European races have become predictable due to old track layouts designed in the 80's and predictable race strategies. Plus, there were only 7 Asian GP's this year, with with 9 in Europe, meaning that Europe still hosts the majority of the races.

I also think to say that Asian countries have zero connection to racing is a bit off the mark to be honest. The Japanese have a long history of racing, including motorcycles and normal production cars. Most of Asia is absolutely car mad, and informal races are held everywhere. Just because a country or continent doesn't have an established history of expensive, track based racing, doesn't mean F1 should give them the finger and snub them for it.

Got to agree with Alex here. Sure F1 is in a bit of bother at the moment, but what sport doesn't have down times. It is interesting that the least popular motorsport nation for F1 is North America as they prefer the indy cars.

Offline Baseballfan

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 05:27:48 am »
wow.  :34567 F1.    FIA and Max has destroyed F1. F1 is no longer worth watching. Its all about Ferrari and Mercedes all other be damned. And it all about making Asian track owners and Bernie getting greedy and bathing in money all European and Americas F1 fans be damned.

shame on Ecclestone, FIA and all those who have made F1 boring uncompetive, and unaccesable.

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 02:45:52 pm »
Great race today, really interesting seeing the strategies people used as regards tyres and no refuelling. Schumacher is off to a damm good start for someone who hasn't raced in 3 years. Can't wait for Melbourne.

Offline MERRD

• Nude without Towel
  • The Royal Naked One
    • My Interview on IYNO
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 04:02:48 pm »
It's goood to be back. Sundayafternoon, just me and my remote control. Vettel good in the Q, but rather disappointing in the race. I think the Ferrari has a technical headstart above all the others, wondering how Mercedes will catch up. They definately need to improve in order to compete
"They found out my degree was less than legitimate"
"I thought you had a bachelor from Columbia?"
"Yeah, so now I need one from America"

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 11:39:46 pm »
Yeah I only caught a couple of laps of qualifying the other night. by the time i got home last night, they were doing the presentations.....oh well. Can't wait for the next race.

jackblack_01

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 08:00:52 am »
I hope Vettel is better than Schumacher this season  :rolleyes: