Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Martha's Vineyard  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Marzipan

• Nude without Towel
  • "Enthusiasm for life defeats existential fear."
  • Referrals: 0
Martha's Vineyard
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:13:13 am »
Martha’s Vineyard Trip Report.

So I found some time to write about my trip to Martha’s Vineyard, which concluded with a trip to the clothing optional beach, a first for me.

I’ve been going at least once a year with my wife’s family since I met her, so 8 years now. It is where I first experienced a more liberal attitude towards nudity. Not that my in-laws are naturists, but skinny dipping is preferred. And the outdoor shower provides almost no modesty.

If are familiar with the film Jaws, you can get a sense of the landscape, architecture and a representation of the culture of the island. Honestly not much has changed, it is most definitely a summer tourist destination with a carefree attitude in New England. Some towns are fancy and expensive, where celebrities and presidential sightings are possible (we saw motorcades and White House press vehicles while we were here this time) but most of the island is rural and approachable, with a unique style of art and culture. I always have to adjust to “island life”, but after a few days waking with the sun rise and not an alarm clock, it is easy to relax. For example, there are no traffic signals, so driving around requires you to be kind and courteous and let others go before you. And most drivers are!

Much like the opening scene in Jaws, there are definitely unofficial, secluded spots you can swim nude. But you most likely won't get eaten by a great white shark.

We embarked for the island on a Saturday, and the first thing we did after the 6 hour drive plus ferry ride was take off our clothes and go swimming. It was so refreshing. Since where we were is so secluded, we just hung out the rest of the day on the porch nude and watched the sunset. We arrived at our happy place, reliving our honeymoon!

The next day we woke up with the sun, lazily woke up and decided we needed some provisions. We didn't have our car so we walked the mile and a half into town. The mosquitoes thought we were a delicious meal, but we survived. We had lunch, got groceries and made the trek back. Just like the day before, we immediately cooled off in the water. We spent the rest of the afternoon clothes free with gin and tonics in hand. Only getting dressed when the sun began to go down and it got cooler.

My in-laws were arriving later that evening, though they know we enjoy naturist activities, we decided not to impose it on them throughout the week. That is, unless you were to walk by any one of us showering, but we respect each other's privacy.

One of our definite plans for the trip was to visit the clothing optional beach in Aquinnah, the western most town on the island. I kept hinting to Susan that we should probably choose a day to go towards the end of the week. We couldn't quite find the right day, so we decided to stay an extra day on Saturday, instead of splitting our long trip home over 2 days as originally planned.

Since we didn't have car and didn't want to borrow one from the family for the whole day, we used the public transportation on the island and headed west. The funny thing about the anxieties my wife and I exhibit; she was worried about the transportation not working out favorably and I was starting to have nerves about the beach. Our partnership helped counter each other's worries.

The bus arrived and it was a nice 45 minute ride. We first stopped at the overlook over the cliffs for the view. The waves rolling in looked perfect, if it weren't for the rocks and boulders around the beach, I would love to have brought my surf board. The more secluded section of the beach below is visible from this overlook. We saw a few bathers who were sans bathing suits and decided to make the hike down to join them.

There is a nice walk through  protected wildflowers and dunes before reaching the beach. The beach near the entrance is clothed and the further down you walk down unceremoniously becomes optional.

After seeing a few all nude guys and some a few women who chose to go topless, Susan suggested we could probably find a spot anywhere at this point. I was a little nervous that there were more clothed folks then not around, but that
Is the optional part of it I guess.

So we settled in, and slathered in the sun protection, taking in the freedom and watching people walk by. The beach was very small since it was high tide, maybe only 20-30 yards between the cliffs and water. One guy that walked by seemed very interested in the seagulls in front of us, or the colorful cliffs behind us and tried to take pictures. Must have been an interesting photo...

The water was amazingly refreshing. I love the ocean and it was fantastic to swim in it after getting warm from the sun. It was so natural and I can't believe more people on the beach didn't take advantage of the opportunity. There was a group of older couples that did start to full in the clothing optional section, but it seemed like we were positioned towards the transition section of the beach. Next time I think I'd want to be more surrounded by more naturists, since I'm used to resorts where everyone is nude.

I got particularity aware I was not clothed when about 8 young women decided to place themselves right in front of us. A few were brave enough to take off their tops, but I'm pretty sure that were there just for the thrill of seeing nude people. At this point I got got stage fright when I wanted to go into the ocean to swim again, but after some encouragement from Susan, I was able to build my confidence. I had to fight my inner dialogue that I was going to be one of naked guys in these girl's nude beach story. At least I had the respect to not stare at them, unlike the tan nude guy who seemed to point his compass towards them, and even us, a little too much. Enough that Susan and I noticed that the girls felt uncomfortable enough to put their tops back on.

A shame, as much as I wondered that all these girls felt some confidence around us because we were the younger ones there, I can see how some newbies would be uncomfortable here, especially with the tourists walking by.

The more I think about it, I am so happy I built up my confidence to be nude in front of naturists and non naturists alike.

Not only was the beach great and fun, we had a delicious lunch at the Orange Peel restaurant. The food alone was worth the long trip out. I had pork tacos with pitched red cabbage and Susan had an upon noodle salad with cured salmon. A beautiful day that we hope to make to make a tradition.

-Mark from Pennsylvania

Offline cjpilotboy

• Christian Nudist
  • Retired Staff
  • Nude without Towel
  • Be natural, be comfortable ;)
  • Referrals: 37
Re: Martha's Vineyard
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 05:38:09 am »
When I was reading a thought pop'd into my head, when people want to walk through the nude section, for whatever reason, they should take the courtesy of undressing even if only half, just so you don't have to feel out of place.

Im glad you had a nice trip, it is always good to hear that young people, even if not nudist, are willing to go to these places and be topless. It is nice that they feel like they have the option to do so still.
Always seek Truth, dont let anything stop you.

Offline Marzipan

• Nude without Towel
  • "Enthusiasm for life defeats existential fear."
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:07:00 pm »
When I was reading a thought pop'd into my head, when people want to walk through the nude section, for whatever reason, they should take the courtesy of undressing even if only half, just so you don't have to feel out of place.

Im glad you had a nice trip, it is always good to hear that young people, even if not nudist, are willing to go to these places and be topless. It is nice that they feel like they have the option to do so still.

The one thing I did like about the beach was that it was very optional. I just wasn't used to it as it was my first time. There are no signs designating an area for the nudies, no sectioning off. I feel that a lot of beaches could be like this. It reminds me of what I've read about beaches in Denmark, which for the most part, are all clothing optional.

I forgot to mention that there is another clothing optional beach on the island, but it is only available to residents or guests of residents in that town. I imagine it's for privacy of the VIPs and such that most likely have property there.
-Mark from Pennsylvania

Offline cjpilotboy

• Christian Nudist
  • Retired Staff
  • Nude without Towel
  • Be natural, be comfortable ;)
  • Referrals: 37
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 05:10:49 pm »
I wonder if there will ever be a company that caters to celebrities that are nudist. Hold sercite events that are completely on the DL so no paparazzi gets wind. Like a nudist secret service.
Always seek Truth, dont let anything stop you.