Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Creating a Naturist Theme Video Game  (Read 118659 times)

Offline Dogoegma

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 4
Re: Creating a Naturist Theme Video Game
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2018, 04:40:12 am »
Why not take a different approach? Perhaps a strategy game with said sprites would be more apropos? I was thinking of a naturist country/resort simulator. It would be fun and simple (programming wise, minus the AI). A demo without an AI could be put on steam to see interest.

Offline carbon

• Guy Talk
  • Nude without Towel
  • Feeling Adequate.
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2018, 09:45:43 am »
Why not take a different approach? Perhaps a strategy game with said sprites would be more apropos? I was thinking of a naturist country/resort simulator. It would be fun and simple (programming wise, minus the AI). A demo without an AI could be put on steam to see interest.

I guess if it's something less like Rollercoaster Tycoon and more like SimTower or any one of those management simulators, those'll be more manageable. I can try my hand at both concepts to see where they go. But I think the management simulator would still need a selling point beyond the naturist aspect. Do you have any ideas on what sort of semi-innovative gameplay elements we could add that relates to naturism? And yeah, scouting out at Steam is a good idea.

Offline Dogoegma

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2018, 07:06:22 pm »
I don't know your skill at linear algebra, but if you could have 'programmable officers' to assist you, that would be cool. Basically, you would have the ability to train a machine learning AI to help you with your duties. That is the first thing that comes to my mind. Some other ideas might include a logarithmic curve for progress (ensuring an infinite gameplay that is nonetheless runnable on modern machines), adding a political element (putting together political lobby groups to fight attempts to close it), or perhaps infusing it with an altered-carbonesque vibe (have the setting take place in the future and showcase potencial technologies (if this is chosen, marketing to transhumanists will be a must), etc. Just some ideas of mine to toss into the wind. Thanks for the work put into it so far.

Riot.EXE

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2018, 09:26:20 pm »
Sounds like a fun challenge. The extent to my skills in programming only goes far as to making platformers, so maybe i'll just make a naturist themed short platformer with a simple mechanic/gimmick.

I whipped up a simple sprite for both a male and female avatars. I'll get to animating it first, splitting it into sprite sheets so hopefully, i can throw them into an engine and quickly splice together a working prototype.

At first, I had trouble with pairing nudity to the gameplay mechanic. There are tons of voyeuristic games out there and I don't want it to look like that at all. My first idea was that with every completion of the levels, they are "rewarded" with a single article removed. This is the very definition of the stripping sort of game I wanted to vehemently avoid. So I am in agony trying to come up with a better idea. My most recent concept for the mechanic is that the avatar's clothes act like a rope and allows the player to solve puzzles. Skill level ramping involves removing a single article of clothing from what is available to the player until the player is fully nude.

What I'm struggling with, is that how do I make it so that the time spent becoming proficient at the rope throwing mechanic isn't wasted at the last level, where the player is left with no clothes. At this point the game just becomes a simple puzzle-platformer.

I'd like some input. Would this have a potential to be an enjoyable game?

I think you're overthinking it. What if they're just naked because they are, and leave it at that? Grappling Hook mechanics are almost universally awesome on their own (I mean, look at Umehara Kawase, Bionic Commando, or Remnants of Naezith for a damn fine example) and not everything in a video game needs some long drawn out explanation. Plenty of games have gotten by on a solid play mechanic alone. Take it easy!

Offline Kyle

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2018, 02:51:34 am »
Sounds like a fun challenge. The extent to my skills in programming only goes far as to making platformers, so maybe i'll just make a naturist themed short platformer with a simple mechanic/gimmick.

I whipped up a simple sprite for both a male and female avatars. I'll get to animating it first, splitting it into sprite sheets so hopefully, i can throw them into an engine and quickly splice together a working prototype.

At first, I had trouble with pairing nudity to the gameplay mechanic. There are tons of voyeuristic games out there and I don't want it to look like that at all. My first idea was that with every completion of the levels, they are "rewarded" with a single article removed. This is the very definition of the stripping sort of game I wanted to vehemently avoid. So I am in agony trying to come up with a better idea. My most recent concept for the mechanic is that the avatar's clothes act like a rope and allows the player to solve puzzles. Skill level ramping involves removing a single article of clothing from what is available to the player until the player is fully nude.

What I'm struggling with, is that how do I make it so that the time spent becoming proficient at the rope throwing mechanic isn't wasted at the last level, where the player is left with no clothes. At this point the game just becomes a simple puzzle-platformer.

I think you're overthinking it. What if they're just naked because they are, and leave it at that? Grappling Hook mechanics are almost universally awesome on their own (I mean, look at Umehara Kawase, Bionic Commando, or Remnants of Naezith for a damn fine example) and not everything in a video game needs some long drawn out explanation. Plenty of games have gotten by on a solid play mechanic alone. Take it easy!
Then it wouldn't be a naturist themed video game, it would be a video game with naked people.

Offline carbon

• Guy Talk
  • Nude without Towel
  • Feeling Adequate.
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2018, 03:18:30 am »
I don't know your skill at linear algebra, but if you could have 'programmable officers' to assist you, that would be cool. Basically, you would have the ability to train a machine learning AI to help you with your duties. That is the first thing that comes to my mind. Some other ideas might include a logarithmic curve for progress (ensuring an infinite gameplay that is nonetheless runnable on modern machines), adding a political element (putting together political lobby groups to fight attempts to close it), or perhaps infusing it with an altered-carbonesque vibe (have the setting take place in the future and showcase potencial technologies (if this is chosen, marketing to transhumanists will be a must), etc. Just some ideas of mine to toss into the wind. Thanks for the work put into it so far.

Ack. I've taken linear algebra in uni, but almost flunked it. I guess I can ask my pal to see if he can help when I get to that point, he's far better at mathematics and logic than I am. Otherwise, what would the minimum viable product for a game like that be?

In this case, I feel like the nudity will be taken as only a selling feature rather than a gameplay element. Ideally, I would want both to be present simultaneously, not just one or the other.

Offline Longingtobenude

• Shouting it out loud
  • Hello:)
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2018, 11:58:32 am »
I think you'd get the most mileage out of a RPG.  Story wise, naturism is boring, so it will have to be a secondary story element. 

For example, a "evil aura" begins to overtake the land.  Our hero, by chance, discovers that by being nude, they are immune to the effects.  And in certain areas, are open to a "good aura's" influence.  This way our hero learns special abilities that no one else would have because of their aversion to being nude.  And only by staying nude, are these abilities able to be used. 

So then the mission for our hero is to go from place to place and convince the population to go naked in order to combat the local "evil" there.  You gain a new follower and maybe a new power from each place, save the day, convince the town that nudism is good and move on. 

Offline TheNudeBot

• Guy Talk
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 8
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2018, 01:23:34 pm »

Although you're a grappling hook mechanic would be a nice feature, how you describe it still results in a strip game. To me, that seems more gimicy than just progressively loosing clothes st the end of levels.

How about making the whole platformer is at a clothing optional venue where the players character gets more comfortable at the end of each level? I know some new people take take approaches their first few times at a clothing optional venue, so why not make it part of the game?
Hanging out with everything out

Offline Dogoegma

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2018, 07:29:13 pm »

Ack. I've taken linear algebra in uni, but almost flunked it. I guess I can ask my pal to see if he can help when I get to that point, he's far better at mathematics and logic than I am. Otherwise, what would the minimum viable product for a game like that be?

In this case, I feel like the nudity will be taken as only a selling feature rather than a gameplay element. Ideally, I would want both to be present simultaneously, not just one or the other.

Basically, you just make sure that the AI can do anything the player can do in the game, and let the player dictate 'successful' bots from the recommended. If you want to go the extra mile, you could give the AI a resume that acts as the interface, with matching criteria in similar fields (e.g. a bot that can keep a balanced budget could be an accountant, or might have been a manager at a small business, etc.).

As far as nudity as an element, I would focus on the simple and novel. RPG's are simple enough, but they aren't very novel in terms of breaking markets (most new 'features' end up getting added to RPG's, this leads to feature fatigue. [think of how many clones of Warcraft that exist that have 'features' that differentiate themselves from Warcraft, yet are not very popular]). Thus I recommend a strategy game based around either an empire where nudity is common (A civ clone) or a resort tycoon. Either way, the medium will not be as saturated, and yet will allow a decent number of people to discover the game, IMHO.

Offline carbon

• Guy Talk
  • Nude without Towel
  • Feeling Adequate.
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2018, 09:39:09 pm »

Although you're a grappling hook mechanic would be a nice feature, how you describe it still results in a strip game. To me, that seems more gimicy than just progressively loosing clothes st the end of levels.

How about making the whole platformer is at a clothing optional venue where the players character gets more comfortable at the end of each level? I know some new people take take approaches their first few times at a clothing optional venue, so why not make it part of the game?

When you frame it that way I can see your point. It does seem like a simple stripping game at first glance, but that's like saying people play Fallout just for the gritty post-apocalyptic theme.

Ah, it looks like we're looking at it from two different perspectives. I'm thinking of a game where gameplay and a novel take on a common mechanic (grappling with characters using clothes as the "rope") as the main concept, while you seem to want to take it to a more educational approach. Honestly, I think that's a much more meaningful message to have in a game; using the medium to interact with naturism without fully embracing it. I think it'll work better as a traditional RPG-esque games like Stardew Valley. If you want to try out making an RPG, RPG Maker MV is on sale for about 22 CAD on steam right now. It's probably the cheapest it'll ever be.

Basically, you just make sure that the AI can do anything the player can do in the game, and let the player dictate 'successful' bots from the recommended. If you want to go the extra mile, you could give the AI a resume that acts as the interface, with matching criteria in similar fields (e.g. a bot that can keep a balanced budget could be an accountant, or might have been a manager at a small business, etc.).

As far as nudity as an element, I would focus on the simple and novel. RPG's are simple enough, but they aren't very novel in terms of breaking markets (most new 'features' end up getting added to RPG's, this leads to feature fatigue. [think of how many clones of Warcraft that exist that have 'features' that differentiate themselves from Warcraft, yet are not very popular]). Thus I recommend a strategy game based around either an empire where nudity is common (A civ clone) or a resort tycoon. Either way, the medium will not be as saturated, and yet will allow a decent number of people to discover the game, IMHO.

Well, maybe the point isn't to make an insanely popular 1 mil download title, but more of a niche thing that has a meaningful purpose as aforementioned above. I'd say an educational game that highlights the truths, facts, and myths of the naturist lifestyle as something quite novel. I don't think any game made with said concept will generate a significant amount of revenue -- even if a large and established studio were to produce it. In that case, the message is the important part.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:43:31 pm by carbon »

Offline Dogoegma

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2018, 04:43:13 am »

When you frame it that way I can see your point. It does seem like a simple stripping game at first glance, but that's like saying people play Fallout just for the gritty post-apocalyptic theme.

Ah, it looks like we're looking at it from two different perspectives. I'm thinking of a game where gameplay and a novel take on a common mechanic (grappling with characters using clothes as the "rope") as the main concept, while you seem to want to take it to a more educational approach. Honestly, I think that's a much more meaningful message to have in a game; using the medium to interact with naturism without fully embracing it. I think it'll work better as a traditional RPG-esque games like Stardew Valley. If you want to try out making an RPG, RPG Maker MV is on sale for about 22 CAD on steam right now. It's probably the cheapest it'll ever be.

Well, maybe the point isn't to make an insanely popular 1 mil download title, but more of a niche thing that has a meaningful purpose as aforementioned above. I'd say an educational game that highlights the truths, facts, and myths of the naturist lifestyle as something quite novel. I don't think any game made with said concept will generate a significant amount of revenue -- even if a large and established studio were to produce it. In that case, the message is the important part.

Perhaps not, but the rules for making good games remains. Trying to reach the largest audience is just as good a motivation as trying to make the most profit. Trying to make waves for the cause is for more effective than what current methods allow, I think. Think in this way, each player is one less voter against your local naturist club. Again, this is just my opinion on the matter.

Riot.EXE

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2018, 06:08:04 am »

Fine...Plot: Your Aunt was runnin' a super dope-as-fuck nudist retreat, but is getting out of the business. She, like many other nudist retreat/resort owners, didn't quite know how to attract a younger crowd, but in your aunt getting out of the business, she wants to pass the reigns down to you (and then you choose whether or not you're a dude or a chick...though I'd also throw in ethnicity options. If you ask why, I worry about you.) and you get this bright idea to create a series of "Fun obstacle courses" for younger patrons to swing their way through. Your aunt's old assistant, who is now going to assist you in running the place, thinks this is an INSANE IDEA, but you propose that you'll get through the course yourself to prove that it's safe and sound for everyone else. Succeed, and the course gets to stay for everyone else (LEADERBOARDS!) Fail, and...no course for anyone.

Offline carbon

• Guy Talk
  • Nude without Towel
  • Feeling Adequate.
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2018, 01:52:24 pm »

Fine...Plot: Your Aunt was runnin' a super dope-as-fuck nudist retreat, but is getting out of the business. She, like many other nudist retreat/resort owners, didn't quite know how to attract a younger crowd, but in your aunt getting out of the business, she wants to pass the reigns down to you (and then you choose whether or not you're a dude or a chick...though I'd also throw in ethnicity options. If you ask why, I worry about you.) and you get this bright idea to create a series of "Fun obstacle courses" for younger patrons to swing their way through. Your aunt's old assistant, who is now going to assist you in running the place, thinks this is an INSANE IDEA, but you propose that you'll get through the course yourself to prove that it's safe and sound for everyone else. Succeed, and the course gets to stay for everyone else (LEADERBOARDS!) Fail, and...no course for anyone.

That's... Actually pretty good. I think that's a pretty solid pitch for a plot.

Riot.EXE

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2018, 07:12:37 am »

That's... Actually pretty good. I think that's a pretty solid pitch for a plot.

Took me all of 45 seconds to come up with it.

Offline carbon

• Guy Talk
  • Nude without Towel
  • Feeling Adequate.
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2018, 05:19:53 pm »
Took me all of 45 seconds to come up with it.

Well, in any case, it's a good base to build off of. I'm more of a visual type of guy so I always approach things from visual side first. Having a vague story is just as good as having a solid one in my case.

I'll hold off on the platformer idea for now and opt in for a more accessible game to reach a wider audience. I think the original concept of a tycoon-style game is probably the best option in that regards. I'll get some rudimentary development going, making concept art and throw some ideas on paper during my off time. First phase I want to hit before getting a working, minimal viable prototype is to get some boards on the general direction that the game would take, since that's my forte.

Let's keep this project open for everyone on the forums, as a way to document it publicly and be a good learning resource for the future. It would be great if people would help out in the process by giving feedback or share assets or contribute stuff to keep the momentum going.

Timeline:
Mid to End of July - concept art, preliminary character sheets, environment, mood board, asset samples
Early to Mid-August - minimal viable product
December - final product?

I'll try to post something every few days as my free time allows.