Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Dr. Strange (Spoiler free)  (Read 1384 times)

Offline DrgHybrid

• The Furry
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Mauler the Dragon Hybrid
  • Referrals: 2
Dr. Strange (Spoiler free)
« on: November 17, 2016, 06:36:05 am »
Ah, I know I'm a little late on posting this one. I'm sorry.

Here we go. Saw this in 3D. I was always worried about Disney having purchased Marvel. Still, ultimately, don't like when they do come out with the movies on Blu-Ray and digital. Always so expensive compared to the other movie companies. However, that being said they have put some serious thought, and cash, into a lot of these new movies.

Dr. Strange is no exception. He was kinda a minor hero in the comics, but Disney brings out a great story for him. Plays very well into the comic books and holds true for anyone that has read them. He starts off all stuck up on himself and through the course of the movie, learns to be more humble. Dr. Strange is played by Benedict Cumberbatch. I had personally never heard of him before this, but he did a fantastic job. He made a good intro into the Avengers lore that he will be apart of.

Mordo, played by Chiwetel Ejiofor (another one I hadn't heard of) was also very inspiring and tragic at the same time due to his relations with both Strange and the Ancient One. The Ancient One, herself, was also played quite well by Tilda Swinton, however, I couldn't really get into her like I did the rest. To be honest, it felt like a rehashed version of Switch (Belinda McClory) from the Matrix. The character was built to display much emotion, but at the same time for me, I couldn't relate or get into the character at all because of that.

Lastly we have the bad guy, Kaecilius (Mads Mikkelsen) which of course isn't the ultimate bad guy, but the main one we see. I couldn't get into him at all. It almost seemed like he didn't belong in the movie to begin with. Was just there to "appease" the audience with the fight scenes. Maybe that's just me though.

Ultimately, I give the movie, personally, a 7/10. Even though I did really enjoy it, was fun in 3D, quite a few laughable moments, and the fight scenes were pretty good, it left me wanting. One of my main peeves on this (and I might had ultimately missed it) is Strange's training. It seems to go really quickly for the position he ultimately rose to. Maybe just a consolidated time line and all, but unless I missed it, they never offer that up with a "3 months later" or anything. Just a slowly progression of a beard (I can grow a decent beard in 1 month, which isn't saying much but at the same time that would be really short of training) so yah, there's that. I still advise, if you are a Marvel fan, to check it out. I think it's a really good opener for the character, and much better then movies like Thor or the first Captain America (for me) so there's that. My ultimate theory is that his character will get better as he's merged more with the main Avengers crowd. Next slated to be in the next Thor movie.

Anyways, as usual, thoughts or comments below. Remember, I'm no professional and this is just my opinion. Be free to express your own. :)
Private message is open to everyone! Feel free to message me if you have any problems or need help with anything.

Bionicone2093

Re: Dr. Strange (Spoiler free)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 04:38:49 am »
I'm surprised that this post hadn't had any comments.....

I like pretty much all Marvel films, especially those in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

This was no exception.

It did a good job telling the background story and setting things up. 

Overall, I really liked it.

decoboco

Re: Dr. Strange (Spoiler free)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:19:35 am »
I'm surprised that this post hadn't had any comments.....

I find that to be the case with many threads (skins?) here. Lots of topics, not a single post in many of them. I try to comment as much as I can on topics I have even a shred of interest in, because from experience, unengaged threads are the easiest way for members (especially new ones or timid ones) to stop visiting a forum.

Well, speaking about Marvel... I don't watch much movies in general, but when friends drag me to see Marvel-related showings, 9 times outta 10, I'll enjoy it. The sporadic visits to the theatre makes the experience so much better, really.

That said, never seen Dr. Strange, but the special effects from the trailer looked stunning. I'll give it a shot one day.