Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: As nature intended us to be  (Read 2004 times)

Offline NudieDaniel

• Transport nerd, Natureboy Kiwi
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
  • Referrals: 2
As nature intended us to be
« on: December 08, 2016, 03:10:08 am »
From what know Papamoa Beach there was a recent sign but I think it's at the wrong end in the early 1990's the council put a sign at the end this article is likely talking about since that sign going by pictures was steal pole and sign which given the exposed location would of rusted away. Indecent exposure applies no matter where on beach you are. Simple nudity isn't an offence. The general consensuses is nudity is a policing matter national law covers everything mentioned in the article.  

Bridgette Irwin and Jesse Burell often take their nine-year-old twins Kane and Zara for a swin near the nudist beach. Photo: Chris Callinan.

Urban sprawl has crept along Papamoa Beach and invaded naked space where the naturists, the nudists, have gallivanted in the buff for decades. And it's caused a bit of a stink in the seaside suburb.

“Fair enough if they want to flaunt their goodies down there,” said one Facebook and a regular beach user. “But shouldn't there be a sign up?” There should be a warning, he suggests.

He didn't want to stop people from doing what they like doing. “I am not a prude, well I don't think so.” He says he's just caring for those who go down to the beach and are unaware of what's going on.

And what's going on is men, mainly naked men, sunbathing on the beach, reading on the beach and ambling back and forth from the surf in birthday suits rather than swim suits. There's been no suggestion of exhibitionism or untoward behavior by the naturists. Not yet.

But people are polarised on what is acceptable and unacceptable.

And when Sun Media spoke to the Facebook writer, he didn't want to be identified. “Because I have had enough b******T flung at me on Facebook.”

At the outset, the Facebook discussion about naturists on Papamoa Beach was laced with good humour and innuendo. “Don't get yur knickers in a twist – yeah pun intended.” But then it quickly turned ‘nasty'.

“Power to the nudists,” said one responder. “Too many sad and backward Kiwis. How much beach do you prudish bible-bashers need?” Suddenly it became a religious discussion. “Surely if we were all made in God's own image then he would be proud of the form he created.”

Then the argument became a regional one. “Harden up or go back to Auckland.”

The nudists have enjoyed relative privacy and peace on their patch of Papamoa Beach for many years, protected by isolation and an impenetrable strip of bracken, ferns, lupins and dunes. But civilization has encroached up the beach. The land behind the dunes has been cleared for residential development and a boardwalk opened beach access from Maranui St.

Part of its function was to “deter disgusting and lewd behavior” on the beach – the words of the landowners. That's not a feeling shared by a lot of Papamoa people.

Bridgette Irwin's children were down at ‘bollocky beach' having a swim when Sun Media called. “Our kids are used to seeing Mum and Dad get dressed or climbing in or out of the shower, so nudity is nothing new to them.”

The kids aren't bothered by the naked behavior on the beach, certainly not scared. Bridgette advises them not to look, that it's rude to stare. Of course, she draws the line at “anything dodgy”.

“However, for kids that have over-protective parents who are self-conscious, hide their bodies and make nudity a shameful thing, then I suppose a naked body on the beach could scare a child.” Bridgette suggests a rule that naked men on Papamoa Beach cover themselves if they see children. “At least be a bit discreet. Or they could bathe between 9am and 3pm when the kids are at school.”

Tauranga City Council confirms there's no designated space for nude swimming or sunbathing. “Council doesn't have a policy about skinny dipping on public beaches,” says TCC's bylaws and parking team member Stuart Goodman.

“Nude swimming and sunbathing are not illegal. And as long as people are behaving in an appropriate manner, it is not an offence.” Stuart recommends complaints about lewd or inappropriate behavior be made to Police.

In 2007 TCC revisited its Beach Bylaw. It decided it would only prohibit nude bathing if there were issues with public health and safety. However, nude bathers weren't considered a threat to public safety. Stuart suggests anyone who wants the bylaw changed to prohibit beach nudity should take it up with their elected council member.

“I've been told to put up with it,” says our Facebook poster. “Just suck it up. But let's forget all this social media b******t and get a sign up to protect those who may be offended, who may not expect to see naked people wandering around on the beach.”

A sign, he says, would also protect nudists who inadvertently wandered outside this vaguely designated area and find themselves arrested for indecent exposure.

He's experienced the nudity firsthand. “I was sort of surprised. And no, I wouldn't do it myself. I wouldn't want to create havoc and horror amongst the natives.” The mood has lightened again.

“We totally respect nudity on the beach is an individual choice and we knew to stay away if we didn't want to see any dangly bits,” said another post.

“They have been flapping quite happily there for years not bothering anyone. If it offends, just walk the other way.”

But the Papamoa resident Sun Media spoke to says why should the minority dictate to the majority? “People may not want to drive further down the beach just to preserve their modesty. And why should they have to?”

Just as The Weekend Sun was going to print we received darker stories from the Papamoa dunes. Kids going for a swim had witnessed three naked men standing around in the sand dunes “in full view”. And a woman reported seeing men behaving inappropriately in a public place. “That's gross.”

- See more at: http://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/141805-as-nature-intended-us-to-be.html#sthash.nu1mzAz9.dpuf

I'm everywhere and nowhere

Density

Re: As nature intended us to be
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 03:19:52 pm »
hahaha, i love how they tried to change nakedness into different subjects to defend their point but only to be shot down wherever they took. and of course, as long as no explicit behavior is demonstrated on the beach then leave them be. after all, that clothing optional section has been there for years w/o the sign. if it were me i would let em know this is the clothing opt. side and if u want the clothed part of the beach it is that a way.  :afro: