Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Tourism Minister advises 'sense of humour' over Mt Taranaki nude photo  (Read 9937 times)

Offline NudieDaniel

• Transport nerd, Natureboy Kiwi
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
  • Referrals: 2
Tourism Minister Paula Bennett was not offended by a young woman's nude photoshoot on Mt Taranaki, but says she will not be stripping down herself.

The view of Mt Taranaki reflected in the tarns on the Pouakai Saddle (file) Photo: RNZ / Robin Martin

Glamour model Jaylene Cook, 25, last week shared a photo of herself on Instagram wearing nothing but gloves, shoes and a beanie near the mountain's summit.

Local Māori described her actions as "inappropriate and disrespectful".

Mrs Bennett said the photo didn't bother her, though it was "quite surprising".

"I'm the Minister of Police, not the Minister of Fun Police... Other people are fully entitled to their own opinions, but I'm not offended."

She suggested people "keep a sense of humour", but hoped the trend would not take off.

"Mainly because New Zealand is quite cold and I wouldn't like people's health to be detrimented because they're running around naked," she said.

"But I did notice the gloves - so maybe she was thinking about the weather and that it might be a bit chilly."

Asked whether she would front a tourism campaign inspired by the nude photoshoot, Mrs Bennett was adamant.

"There's no way I'm getting naked anywhere except the privacy of my own bathroom. I want to be really clear about that one."

"And while there might be some tourism boost, I hope it doesn't quite take off, because, I think like most people, I've probably seen enough."

Ms Cook is originally from Cambridge in the Waikato, but now lives on Australia's Gold Coast. The picture has accrued more than 17,000 likes over five days on Instagram.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/330104/tourism-minister-advises-'sense-of-humour'-over-mt-taranaki-nude-photo

Here's the photo

Article that explains the summit is tapu being the reason this is offensive to local Maori 

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/330033/mt-taranaki-nude-photoshoot-'inappropriate'
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:19:39 am by NudieDaniel »
I'm everywhere and nowhere

Offline Pyre

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 0
She wouldn't have gotten off so lightly in Malaysia, as the group on Mt Kinabalu found out
"Life's too short, play naked"

Offline Albinl

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
I think the Maori people needs to calm down, its just nudity. She didnt destroy anything, knock down some holy stones it something. All she did was to take a beautiful photo of herself.

Offline NudieDaniel

• Transport nerd, Natureboy Kiwi
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
  • Referrals: 2
I think the Maori people needs to calm down, its just nudity. She didnt destroy anything, knock down some holy stones it something. All she did was to take a beautiful photo of herself.

I don't know considering she said this

Ms Cook said she was sorry if anyone was offended but believed that by moving down from the summit for the picture she respected tikanga.

"We knew what not to do and we believe what we did wasn't degrading in any way or offensive."

So she knew stripping on the summit could be offensive but in the Instagram photo has Mount Taranaki Summit in the description implying that's where she took the photo. Has a bit of "oops did I offend some people" feel to it. It's says she's a playboy playmate, so I have no idea if she was trying to get anything out of it other some public name recognition outside of the model world, because she's doing pretty well as a model. So maybe posting this is giving what she wants but hey the photo is still there despite people efforts of reporting the photo,though from what know of Instagram rear view nudity like that is ok anyway. Also I hope this will be first and last a statement from my local MP Hon Paula Bennett that will be posted on this site. :moon

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:25:21 pm by NudieDaniel »
I'm everywhere and nowhere