Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: How do you discover new music? (Last.fm, Pandora, human recommendations, etc.)  (Read 4277 times)

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
How do you find new songs?
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

Offline Naj

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 1
Sometimes via Last.fm (recommended by a friend who sometimes suggests new things for me). And through music blogs.
And at the start of each year: by checking the BBC's 'sound of'-list (previous winners include Adele, Mika, Lily Allen and Little Boots, next years sound is Ellie Goudlding, which is no surprise to me :p)

Offline Dario Western

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • The one, The only (according to Google anyway!)
  • Referrals: 16
    • Dario Western's Page
By writing my own songs. 
"How ridiculous society is! Why be given a body if you have to shut it away like a rare, rare fiddle?"

Offline megidoflame

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
well i get bands from pretty much all my friends, the owner of the local cd shop knows my taste and sometimes sets aside some of his newly deliverded cd's so i can listen to them. Sometimes I use myspace or youtube checking favourite bands of bands i know, or links to other videos in the same style... I'm pretty much searching for music everywhere

Riot.EXE

DJ Mixes and Beatport.com, mostly...but then there's knowing the right people...

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
I sometimes listen to a specific neighbour's radio, or click the Play Your Neighbourhood button. Sometimes when I'm bored I click a neighbour and then check their friends' and neighbours' charts, partly to see how similar musical tastes are at three or four degrees of separation.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
Of the first four Neighbours listed for me, two are in Singapore, and two are in Indonesia. It's interesting to see that people in far flung places share my tastes.

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
Sometimes just some background sound of a homemade video I happen to like, sometimes related links, and often I read about a band on Wikipedia and just dig my way through cooperations with other bands.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline John

• PhD Candidate, leading to a life of Uni Academia!
  • Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 32
For me it's mostly radio.  We have a station in Australia, Triple J, that does a lot of indie and alternative music, and launches bands frequently.  Another station I listen to is FBi, which plays at least 50% of its music from Australian bands, which means that you hear a lot of different things to what you might do on a commercial station (both are non-commercial)
Why leave university when you can do a PhD?

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
  • Referrals: 0
I like Pandora and have found quite a few new groups on there. I highly recommend.

Joey

Karla

It can be difficult finding new bands to listen to. Although recently I've decided to get back into listening to classical music. I stopped listening to it for the last few years and have only just remembered how good it all is. Which is cool as I now have about 15 gigabytes of music that I can listen to all over again.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
I'm watching the Grammy Awards right now, but I can't say I've discovered any outstanding songs I wasn't already aware of.

Karla

Actually there is a slightly different slant to the OP's question. How do you discover which bands and artists play the kind of music you want to introduce yourself to?

I want to start listening to a lot more Scottish folk music, especially anything that includes a keyless flute (I should hopefully be receiving my one tomorrow!). It would be really good to start listening to this genre a lot more and getting a feel for what it sounds like.

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
You might want to check out http://www.thistleradio.com/

Riot.EXE

Actually there is a slightly different slant to the OP's question. How do you discover which bands and artists play the kind of music you want to introduce yourself to?

I want to start listening to a lot more Scottish folk music, especially anything that includes a keyless flute (I should hopefully be receiving my one tomorrow!). It would be really good to start listening to this genre a lot more and getting a feel for what it sounds like.

I'd say it's part coincidence...being in the right place at the right time or something of that nature, and part social...the more diverse your company, the more likely you'd be introduced to something you wouldn't have otherwise found on your own.