Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Nudity in Germany  (Read 374 times)

Offline Shiden Kai San

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
  • Living that Oreo life!
  • Referrals: 0
Nudity in Germany
« on: July 02, 2017, 06:11:15 pm »
Hey everyone,

Let me first off apologize for using English.  It's all I know! 

Moving on, I'm firing up this thread because I'd like to learn more about Germanys current attitude towards nudity.  As far as I know, nudity seems to be fairly commonplace in German media and there are still many beaches and public parts that retain a positive attitude towards nudity.  On the flip side, I've heard that German youths have become a lot more shy about stripping in front of their peers. Especially compared to previous generations.  Is there any truth to that?  Would you say that the countries attitude towards nudity has begun to shift a little?  Would you say this attitude varies depending on where you live within the country?

To be clear, I'm not writing an article or a research paper.  I'm just curious. 

Offline Night Listener

• Topless with bottoms
Re: Nudity in Germany
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 09:09:08 am »
Perhaps I can give an idea about the situation here in Germany. It is now for quite some time that I practice naked activities, so that I have also have a sense of the evolution. I can't compare with the U.S. from own experience (never been), but as a member of this board I certainly have an idea how things are there.

First of all: Germany may be the origin of naturism as a philosophy and a movement (FKK), and this can be felt. But it is not a paradise for nudists. There are very heterogeneous phenomena.

Official nude beaches at the seaside: there are plenty, at the North Sea the beaches are more regulated, at the Baltic Sea you find many mixed beaches (outside of urbanised areas, there may be designated separations, but in fact it is all more or less clothing optional). Exclusively nude beaches are declining, younger crowd tends to stay clothed.

Nude beaches at lakes: usually, you will find certain spots, mostly unofficial, but often "traditionally nude" - in Northern and Eastern Germany more frequently than in the South or West. Less frequent at lakes with much tourism: the bigger the crowd, the less nudies... You have to know where to go, it is often kind of secluded (but not always, I even know spots where hiking trails cross). In the last years, you find more and more regulations of the local authorities, usually banning nude bathing.

Indoor Swimming pools: not many which offer nude periods of time; there used to be more, but in the course of the last ten years many nude activities have been cancelled, due to lack of visitors, sometimes also because there have been problems with misbehaviour.

Outdoor Swimming pools: only few offer a nude area; very few with separated nude pools. I know the pool in Stuttgart ("Inselbad") with a big lawn and a nude pool, which is brilliant - there, you find all ages, even some younger ones (but only few in the age rank of 13-20).

Spas: in Germany, there are plenty of spas ("Therme" / "Sauna"), often combined with swimming pools. The sauna areas usually are "textile free", which means: no bathing suits - instead the visitors use big towel and wrap themselves into them. In the sauna cabins, usually you unwrap and sit onto them; after, you take a shower (nude) and get wrapped again. In some facilities, "real" nudity is more common, others explicitly do not want too much nudity - it depends. The numbers of visitors are generally increasing, the number of facilities as well. So it is absolutely common for Germans to visit those spas, and to get naked there, even a younger crowd (but if you want, you can easily avoid "open" nudity there - many visitors have no problem with the degree of nudity in the spa, but would never go to a nude beach).

School showers: as far as I know, showering after PE has become a rare thing today. Twenty or ten years ago, this was different (at least in the last grades it was common, not for all, but for most).

Nude parties: they exist, but mostly with sexual connotation.

Nude events: WNBR is non existent, there have been attempts to establish nude bike rides - so the organisers announced the events to the local authorities, which prohibited the events (or any nudity there). On the counterpart, there is a small but increasing number of hiking events (for groups from 3 - 50 persons) that are organised privately, as far as I know without problems.

Clubs: There are plenty non-profit landed clubs, often quite traditional (existing for ages), and most of them with problems to find new/younger members. Some clubs achieve to target younger folk, when they give up their traditional "substitute family" pretensions and open to a more consumer-friendly attitude.

Conclusion: in Germany, there are plenty of possibilities to spend naked time. But there is a certain decline, especially as for the younger crowd and where compulsory nudity is concerned.

Offline Shiden Kai San

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
  • Living that Oreo life!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 05:05:36 pm »
Night Listener,

Wow!  I really appreciate all of the time and energy it must have taken for you to lay down your observations in such a linear and detailed way. Thank you!

So it sounds like the German people still maintain a positive attitude towards nudity, at least when compared to most other Western countries.  However, what also seems to be true is that there is a notable shift taking place. Not only are more laws being passed that ban nudity in certain areas, you also have a generation of kids who, at least in some areas, have a limited amount of experience going nude among their peers.  Throw in the most recent waves of conservative immigrants into the mix, and I admit I do have concern for one of the cultural pillars of the country!

Switching gears for a second, I recall somebody telling me that in Germany, the occurrence of nudity in places like say, a changing room, can vary depending on where you are.  Apparently the western half is a bit more 'buttoned up' than the eastern . Does that sound right?

Thanks again!

Offline Night Listener

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 05:05:38 pm »
Thank you!

Sometimes, I like to test my skills in English (most of the time I am too lazy an don't contribute here, it is always a challenge to write in a foreign language).

The general evolution of naturism / nudity in our societies is something I am always curious about, as well as cultural differences.

One fact I haven't elaborated on : the difference between Western Germany (former FRG) and Eastern Germany (former GDR). In the east, nudism has become very mainstream in the course of 70s/80s. This changed very much after the end of GDR, when western tourist came in a great number especially to the Baltic Sea. Many of them were not used to see so much nudity on the beach, and some began to complain. This led to a rapid decline in the practice of nudism.

I can only relate to what I have read as I practically don't have any personal knowledge of the east. It seems that today, there is still more nudity in the east, but younger generations in east and west become alike regarding their attitude towards nudity.