Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: A possible shift in attitude towards public nudity?  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Shiden Kai San

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Free ballin'!
  • Referrals: 0
A possible shift in attitude towards public nudity?
« on: July 03, 2017, 07:21:36 pm »
Warning: Long post ahead.  I was going to get straight to the point of this topic, but I decided to have a little fun and build up to my observation.  Feel free to skip to the end of the post if you want to avoid my babble.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

It was late summer, which meant it was the time of the year when my parents would drag me from store to store to take care of 'back to school' shopping.  As I suffered through what felt like an eternity of shopping aisles, my parents stopped the cart and asked me to pick out a couple towels.  Confused, I informed them that we already had towels at home.  That's when my dad looked down and delivered the heart-shattering news.  These towels weren't for home use - they were for school! I was then elucidated to the fact that in HS, boys are expected to shower after every gym class. I know this sounds overly dramatic, but this was pretty much the worst news that could be given to a late-blooming, intensely shy 14 year old.  When I came home, I immediately dialed up my best friend to share the news.  As it turns out, his dad had JUST wrapped up telling him the same thing!  Suffice to say, we were both on the cusp of having a panic attack. 

Fast forward a few weeks, and there we both were.  First day of gym.  You could tell we weren't the only ones dreading this moment. The looks on all the boys faces as the coaches led us to the locker room, especially after having been shown our mandatory gym outfits, were universal.  We were all waiting for the devastating instruction to strip down and file into the shower room together.  And then, right as they started broaching the topic of showers, some unexpected yet totally glorious words were delivered to us:   "The showers are here for you to use.  They aren't mandatory.  Nobody is going to make you do it.  But we encourage you to do so, as you don't want to stink up the place."   MANNNN.  We all had huge smiles on our faces.  You could genuinely hear sighs of relief and laughs spread throughout the group.  My friend and I looked at other with the biggest smiles.  That was that - no showering together.  Our dads were wrong!  WOOT!!!!

After that day, I never really gave the whole shower situation much thought.  Rumor had it that boys on the swim team actually took them, but I didn't care.  Truth be told, it was a big school with over 3,000 students. Most of us guys were more concerned about being cool than being hygienic - especially at a time when the hyper-masculine hip-hop culture was reaching its zenith.  Still, what was good news for us back then ultimately translated into an entire group of people who grew up with major hang-ups towards nudity.  To many of us, there was nothing to celebrate by seeing your friends dick.  To us, nudity was something that you'd either enjoy alone or when you're having sex.

And thus, throughout the bulk of my life, the sight of somebody under 40 going fully nude while changing in a locker room was as rare as a spotting a unicorn.   It's funny because during my trips to Europe, you'd stand out if you *DIDN'T* get fully nude while showering or changing.  Alas, that's been the 'Murican experience that I've lived since childhood.  That is, until recently.

This brings me to the crux of my post. 

I recently began hitting up my local gym in an attempt to get my ass back into shape.  Hopefully the rest of me as well.   :happy   Anyway, while in the locker room, I couldn't help but notice something that, to be blunt, has surprised the f**k outta me.  Young people who are unafraid to strip entirely nude while changing their clothes!  At first I thought it was a fluke, but it's been so consistent that I'm beginning to think that there may be a shift in attitude towards nudity among young people.  At least in my area.

Now to be clear, it's not like dudes are walking around with everything swaying in the proverbial breeze.  Most of the guys face the locker while they do their thing. Truth be told, I'm no exception as I tend to get rather shy in those kind of environments.  But still, a number of years ago when I was a gym rat, I could count on one hand the number of times somebody in their teens, twenties, or even early 30's would be confident enough to bear it all. Now, it seems like the majority do not care.  In fact, I've seen only one towel dance!  Now obviously, given my interest in naturism, this observation is both interesting AND positive.

So this is where I'd like your feedback, provided you've made it this far.  Have you noticed the same thing in your area?  I know this is a male-centric post (as its limited to my male perspective), but I'm also interested in the female experience as well. If you haven't noticed a change, where (in general) do you live?  And if you have, then where (in general) do you live?  Is it a populated area, or a relatively 'country' area? 

A part of me is hoping that peoples attitude towards nudity is beginning to relax a bit.  Particularly in the U.S. If so, this would beg the question as to why this is the case.  Could it stem from a heightened sense of social equality?  Or could it be the simple fact that the internet has numbed the reaction to a nude human body.  After all, ten years ago, you had to purposefully *search* for that kinda content in order to find it.  Now? Psh. Good luck actually avoiding it!  I wonder if the mindset has switched from:  "OMG EW GROSS I DONT WANT TO SEE THAT" to  "Boobs/dick? Big deal.  Already seen a billion of those already." 

Alright, this brings an end to my incredibly long exposition.  Felt good writing it out.  Hopefully the read didn't burn your retinas.  Cheers everyone!

Offline kb2001

• Teens Only Member
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 15
Re: A possible shift in attitude towards public nudity?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:35:47 pm »
And thus, throughout the bulk of my life, the sight of somebody under 40 going fully nude while changing in a locker room was as rare as a spotting a unicorn.   It's funny because during my trips to Europe, you'd stand out if you *DIDN'T* get fully nude while showering or changing.  Alas, that's been the 'Murican experience that I've lived since childhood.  That is, until recently.

Maybe part of it is that young guys are shyer if older guys are there. Our basketball team started showering more after last year. All the coaches stayed out and just let us do our business. Guys either took a shower or they didn't. No one took a shower in their underwear or anything ridiculous like that.

After swimming though I see young guys showering in their swimsuits or underwear. I've even seen guys change their clothes with a towel on so that no one could see their dick even if they wanted to. But there are guys of all ages around then too.

Offline Buzzulepuff

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
Re: A possible shift in attitude towards public nudity?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 08:53:39 am »
From what I've seen it could just be from where you are. When I was last at a hot pools complex. I laughed at my self (on the inside) at all the young guys who would happily show there bodies off outside with togs on of course but then act all horrified in the changing rooms doing there towell dance in the corner of the room. And then there is me and all the older guys happily dressing without any worries. It also helps I reckon to be towelless as people are less likely to dress right beside you and look for somewhere else in the dressing room.