Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Sparks  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Dario Western

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • The one, The only (according to Google anyway!)
  • Referrals: 16
    • Dario Western's Page
Sparks
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:54:15 am »
Next to the Beatles, my second favourite band of all time is Sparks.  This band is an L.A. born and bred duo consisting of Ron Mael (keyboards) and Russell Mael (vocals).  They first started in the late 60's when they were studying graphic design, English literature and movie making at UCLA.  Their first band was called Urban Renewal Project with Freddy and Ronna Frank on guitar and drums (Ronna later composed the music for the movie Stuart Little), then their second was called Halfnelson with brothers Earle Mankey and Jim Mankey (later of Concrete Blonde) and drummer Harley Feinstein.

Their music was a demented mix of psyche rock, arty cabaret rock with hints of punk and New Wave that were too ahead of its time in America.  After two local albums produced by Todd Rundgren and James Lowe that barely dented the charts, they moved to the UK in 1973, found a new backing band and became almost overnight stars with their song 'This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us' which peaked at number 2 and is their best known song to date, having been covered by artists like Siouxsie & The Banshees, Faith No More (their last single), and more recently Justin Hawkins of The Darkness which reached No. 6 in the UK charts in 2006 featuring Sparks as darts commentators and a streaker with a camera in the video.

Unlike most bands, Sparks have never sought to follow what's trendy or stick with only one musical genre.  They have explored many differet musical styles over ther 40 year career whether it be dance, punk, heavy metal, pomp rock, classical, Romantic, disco, electro pop, and industrial. 

In 2008 they became the first band in history to do a tour showcasing all their 21 albums and all the songs in chronoligcal order in the space of 3 weeks in London.  Last year, they released a double vinyl album and CD based on the life of Swedish film director Ingar Bergman.

Spearks' sites are at http;//www.allsparks.com and http://www.myspace.com/allsparks
"How ridiculous society is! Why be given a body if you have to shut it away like a rare, rare fiddle?"

Offline Dario Western

• Read-Only
  • Naturist Superhero
  • The one, The only (according to Google anyway!)
  • Referrals: 16
    • Dario Western's Page
Re: Sparks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:46:35 pm »
In a better world, Sparks would be as big and influential as The Beatles, Stones, U2, Paramore, and Led Zep.  They are legends in the UK and Europe, but the rest of the world either doesn't understand them or sees them as being a weird joke band.

Here are some of their much-loved songs:

This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both Of Us:

Sparks - This Town Aint Big Enough promo 1974

Amateur Hour

Sparks - Amateur Hour

Forever Young

Sparks - Forever Young

Beat The Clock - don't watch this video if you are epilectic, it'll make you feel ill!

Sparks - Beat The Clock

Cool Places (feat. Jane Weidlin)

SPARKS JANE WIEDLIN COOL PLACES

Change (live on TVAM)

Sparks - Change TVAM

So Important

Sparks - So Important

Perfume

Sparks - "Perfume"

Dick Around

Sparks - "Dick Around"

I Can't Believe That You Would Fall For All The Crap In This Song

Sparks - I can't believe you would fall for all the crap in this song
"How ridiculous society is! Why be given a body if you have to shut it away like a rare, rare fiddle?"

Wolfboy

Re: Sparks
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 04:13:37 pm »
In a better world, Sparks would be as big and influential as The Beatles, Stones, U2, Paramore, and Led Zep.  They are legends in the UK and Europe, but the rest of Change (live on TVAM)

I agree, Sparks are great
You forgot "When Do I Get to Sing "My Way"", was a hit in the nineties