Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Book recommendations  (Read 9053 times)

Offline renez

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
Book recommendations
« on: November 08, 2017, 06:56:49 pm »
Hi! I just wanted to start a new topic to ask for any good book recommendations. I've recently picked up the habit of reading and I'm in need of new books to get so I would really appreciate any suggestions anyone could give me. I wasn't really a huge reader before so I haven't developed a preference yet but some of my interest so far are: sci-fi, historical fiction and non-fiction, fantasy and horror books; however, you can just tell me what your favorite book is + a little bit about the story (no spoilers though) and I'll check it our regardless of the genre.
I hope this also works for any other reader in here trying to find new books to read. I'm looking forward to read all your suggestions!

Offline Natuur

• Guy Talk
  • Nude with Towel
Re: Book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:05:59 pm »
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Offline Longingtobenude

• Shouting it out loud
  • Hello:)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:45:46 am »
I'll second Hitchhikers Guide for a good sci fi recommendation.  Another fun easy sci fi read is Enders Game.  For something with a little bit more meat to it, check out Childhoods End by Arthur C. Clarke. 

For fantasy, check out The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.  The trilogy is one of my favorite stories of all time. 

For horror, I say check out Dean Koontz.  People like to throw shade at him as a wannabe Stephen King but he has creeped me out plenty in his stories.  They are easy to read too.  I'd suggest either Phantoms, or Fear Nothing. 

Lastly, I suggest checking out the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.  They are better represented by the Robert Downy Jr Sherlock movies than by the actual Jack Reacher movies in my opinion.  If you like the fight scene break downs and the clues/mystery aspects, you'll dig Jack Reacher I think. 

Offline Brendarella

• -= Brendarella =-
  • Read-Only
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Ask me anything.
    • Brendarella
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 01:17:10 pm »
I can personally recommend these three novels as excellent examples of the genres.

The Rats - James Herbert. (Horror)
This was Herbert's first novel, which turned into a trilogy. It concerns a breed of intelligent dog-sized rats that begin to terrorise London.  If you like this, you'll love his other novels.

Foundation - Isaac Asimov Science Fiction)
This is the first in his Foundation Trilogy. Collectively they tell the story of the Foundation, an institute to preserve the best of galactic civilization after the collapse of the Galactic Empire.

Letters To Chloe - Stefan Gerrard (Erotic)
Letters were found in a locked briefcase in a London mansion. Shocking and explicit, they are all addresed to the same mysterious woman, Chloe.