Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Outrage over naked swim day at calgary public pool  (Read 1120 times)

Offline kb2001

• Teens Only Member
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Outrage over naked swim day at calgary public pool
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 12:16:19 am »
I found out someone I know from another site lives in Calgary. I asked him about it and he said they talked a lot about how kids would be there. People didn't like that part of it and that's why a lot of people got upset.

Offline Mettis

• Be free, be nude!
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • E=mc²
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 09:43:32 am »
The thing that bothers me most is that it is swimming. There is nothing more natural than swimming naked. The only time I wear swimming trunks is when I absolutely have to, like swimming at school or going to a water park. Feeling water flowing against your bare groin is awesome. It feels so clean. It makes me mad that people think they can deny that to everybody else.
:like

:agree
Become a part of nature !

:-Mettis

Offline Shiden Kai San

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
  • Living that Oreo life!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 02:56:30 am »
I agree that the outrage expressed over this event was over the top.  Still, in playing devils advocate for a moment, it's easy to understand why so many people got up in-arms over this event.

At the end of the day, it boils down to ignorance.  As we all know, most people in North America tend to draw a direct connection between nudity and sex.  This holds particularly true whenever the situation involves social nudity outside of familiar settings like changing rooms, bedrooms, and hospital rooms.  So imagine this:

Here is Mr. and Mrs. Lunchbucket.  They're driving down the road, listening to the radio, when all of the sudden they learn about some local event where people plan on going nude, en' mass!  Not only that, but the event organizers are specifically inviting people to bring their kids to participate in the whole charade!

Remember, to Mr. and Mrs Lunchbucket, nudity = sex.  They neither know about or care about naturism. All they know is when they hear of these events, they assume that it's something that caters exclusively to weirdos and perverts.  Now usually this alone may not be enough to inspire public outrage.  But when those so-called weirdos and perverts *openly* try to recruit children to the event?  Well, that's beyond criminal!  To those 6,500 people, this is no different than encouraging parents to bring their kids to participate at a brothel.

Now obviously, all of us here know how utterly ridiculous and inaccurate the aforementioned narrative is. Unfortunately, it's commonly held throughout North America. We're dealing with an entire culture that grew up with certain associations as it relates to nudity.  Associations that have never been challenged in any kind of meaningful way. 

If anything, this makes me appreciate the folks out there who continue to fight the good fight.  People who continue to organize these events in the face of threats and adversity.  The people who continue to operate businesses like Resorts in spite of the fact that it's a lot of work and stands little chance of yielding huge financial benefits. To them, I say, keep fighting the good fight. And to us, I say keep supporting them if ever you find yourself in a position to do so!