Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Star Trek: Discovery  (Read 1814 times)

Offline D289

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
Star Trek: Discovery
« on: March 05, 2018, 03:23:37 pm »
What did folks think of Discovery as a part of the Star Trek canon?

I’m pretty ambivalent. The Klingons and much of the UFP fleet definitely riled me, the uniforms I can turn a blind eye to (expanded universe sources say that Constitution-derived designs wore the turtle-neck and everyone else wore the blue jumpsuits).

I hope we see Worf-style and smooth-headed Klingons next season.

Plus I hope they fix the Enterprise and her sisters to look as they ought to. I don’t know how I’d feel about a recast of Pike’s Enterprise. As much as I dislike JJverse Trek having Zachary Quinto play Young Spock wouldn’t be a bad idea - especially since he’s proven himself.

Any thoughts on Discovery’s new skipper and who they might be?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:28:17 pm by D289 »

Offline peter s

• BANNED
  • Topless with bottoms
Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 05:40:45 pm »
i like the discovery serie, was great to see and indeed a worf style was beter and i do like the new spock  :moon

Offline D289

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 05:51:28 pm »
It would have been good to see L'Rell grow her hair whilst she was in the brig on USS Discovery.

And it would've been good to see the Federation-class, the Constitution-class' big sister:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:53:29 pm by D289 »

Offline jadyn88

• Fully Dressed
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 08:10:57 am »
I liked it when they went into the mirror universe. Did not expect the big plot twist there. It was pretty good and looking forward to season 2!

Offline D289

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 03:29:57 pm »
I’m looking forward to season two, I just hope it feels more cohesive with TOS, since were only 11-ish years away from it, in universe.

Offline bulletpr00f_m0nk

• Topless with bottoms
  • Just an average guy w/ not-so-average insights :)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 02:50:58 am »
I'll admit I was rather skeptical at first...but as the season went on, it grew on me.  The acting is pretty stellar and the writing is quite original in terms of not recycling the TNG, DS9, Voyager formula.

Certainly raises some interesting possibilities....as in will there be a chance of the Borg making an appearance....or even the god-like Q?

It'll be a treat to see how it plays out over the next few years.

Offline D289

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 07:55:44 pm »
They've announced a new actor to play Captain Pike (who does resemble the original actor), and they've shown set photos of actors and extras in TOS-style uniforms.

nudist18

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 09:41:24 am »
Personally, I've absolutely loved Discovery. It hasn't followed the standard Trek formula, and has definitely evolved the show quite a bit, but it's absolutely incredible. I am one of the people that personally doesn't mind the show being set 10 years before TOS. I know people are very dedicated to the 60s aesthetic of the original, and I do understand they brought that same look back for Enterprise, but at the same time, it's nice seeing a new take on things that blends TOS with the TMP era, and even some of ENT. Everything looks like it shares an evolutionary design language now, and that much is something I'm appreciative for. As I tell my friends, it's like TOS with the graphics setting turned on ultra. We're just finally getting all the detail.

Offline DrgHybrid

• The Furry
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Mauler the Dragon Hybrid
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 04:41:17 pm »
For me, there is, and always will be, only one Star Trek and that’s Next Generation. I give a small pass to Deep Space 9 as well.
Private message is open to everyone! Feel free to message me if you have any problems or need help with anything.

Offline D289

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 05:43:09 pm »
If anyone watches Trekyards they've brought forward some evidence saying that Discovery exists in the third timeline.

#1: Enterprise, Original Series, Movies, Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager

#2: Enterprise, JJ Movies

#3: Enterprise, Discovery

Enterprise is the common point before any splits.

nudist18

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 06:36:00 pm »
If anyone watches Trekyards they've brought forward some evidence saying that Discovery exists in the third timeline.

#1: Enterprise, Original Series, Movies, Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager

#2: Enterprise, JJ Movies

#3: Enterprise, Discovery

Enterprise is the common point before any splits.

I watch Trekyards quite often. My friend and I will have similar debates about timelines, but we ultimately determined that Discovery is indeed the Prime Timeline. As where I like the idea of Enterprise being the "Ocarina of Time" of Star Trek, the writers of the show have stated that the show is in the prime timeline. As where the Trekyards theory is sound, their only basis is really the visual appearance of the aesthetic. However, the stories, the canon, all stay pretty much in line with Star Trek shows moving forward. I mean, Trek has been through numerous visual reboots, especially between TOS and TMP. The Klingons got forehead ridges, and it took 30 years to explain the change, but people just accepted it. The Enterprise as where it was refit, was enormously different from its predecessor as well. So ultimately, I think the Star Trek canon is fine, and as where Trekyards does have a fascinating theory on hand, CBS does say it is canon, and given this isn't a total overhaul like the Kelvin Timeline, I'm willing to accept the visual updates. Besides, the new Enterprise is GORGEOUS! A perfect blend between TOS, TMP, and ENT aesthetics. It really looks like it belongs in the 2250s that way. Everyone is entitled to their opinions though. I'd even accept this as being the Prime Timeline in the sense that all the events are the same, but it is visually different due to maybe the Borg incursion in ENT or something like that. Just need to see where the writers take it, but so far I'm in love with this show.

Offline D289

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 06:40:01 pm »
I like the new look of the 1701 Enterprise, but we have episodes set only a year earlier where she looked as she did in the Cage.

Had it been the Enterprise under Commodore April or USS Constitution NX-1700 at launch then that's how the ship may have appeared under her first few years before being refit into Pike's ship.