Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: How important is the art work when it comes to comic books?  (Read 9924 times)

Offline Northman

• Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
How important is the art work when it comes to comic books?
« on: September 28, 2018, 11:34:12 am »
Lately, I have been thinking about comic books and the people who make them. These last few days I have been reading through various comic books and issues, and that even though the story picks up where the previous issue left it - the artist, and the style, can vary between issues. Sometimes slightly, other times the contrast can be quite strong. The characters and the backgrounds, the general level of details - and here is my question(s):

How much of a "finished product" does the comic book be in your eyes? That is, how much does the artwork contribute in the story telling, given that there are many acclaimed graphic novels which have a sleek and simple art work, but an appealing story. Can beautiful artwork save otherwise lackluster story?

Offline carbon

• Guy Talk
  • Nude without Towel
  • Feeling Adequate.
  • Referrals: 2
Re: How important is the art work when it comes to comic books?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:04:11 pm »
I don't believe there are any real absolutes in this world. I read zines and independent comics by local artists, illustrators, and writers and find them to be wildly entertaining. Those are some of the least polished stuff I've come across -- some are eye-gougingly abysmal -- but I've enjoyed them nevertheless.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the level of polish a graphic novel has attained isn't very conducive to the level of quality. That said, I think a captivating story with shoddy art has far more merit than a garbage story with seizure-inducingly brilliant art.

Riot.EXE

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 11:23:44 pm »
Lately, I have been thinking about comic books and the people who make them. These last few days I have been reading through various comic books and issues, and that even though the story picks up where the previous issue left it - the artist, and the style, can vary between issues. Sometimes slightly, other times the contrast can be quite strong. The characters and the backgrounds, the general level of details - and here is my question(s):

How much of a "finished product" does the comic book be in your eyes? That is, how much does the artwork contribute in the story telling, given that there are many acclaimed graphic novels which have a sleek and simple art work, but an appealing story. Can beautiful artwork save otherwise lackluster story?

Superhero comics in the 90's would like to have a word with you...because it answers "Yes" AND "No" to your question, in the best and worst ways possible.

Offline Northman

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 09:38:40 pm »

Superhero comics in the 90's would like to have a word with you...because it answers "Yes" AND "No" to your question, in the best and worst ways possible.

Yeah, I remember that era of comic books. There was so much detailed lineart back then, and questionable anatomy - but that is superhero comics for you. I have always wanted to reach that level of detail, but that is still a distant dream.

Offline nudesailor

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 10:34:58 pm »
Even if I enjoy a story, bad art turns me right off. I also find if a comic has the style I like, it tends to associate with a type of story I like too.
Dance or die