Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Who pays for the website, the server, and everything?  (Read 12328 times)

Offline the_nude_topher

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
Who pays for the website, the server, and everything?
« on: November 30, 2018, 02:55:45 am »
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. But other sites have ads. Some sites have paid membership. This site has neither. So, I'm wondering how or who is paying for it to exist?

Offline DrgHybrid

• The Furry
  • Bare Squad - Accounts Division
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Mauler the Dragon Hybrid
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Who pays for the website, the server, and everything?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 03:00:21 am »
@Pisco is the original founder of it. I "assume" that he fronts the bulk of it. @Delta pretty much knows most of the stuff for all the back end details but obviously we aren't going to say everything about it. :p
Private message is open to everyone! Feel free to message me if you have any problems or need help with anything.

Offline the_nude_topher

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 09:12:13 am »
[quote  obviously we aren't going to say everything about it. :p
[/quote]

Wow, that sounds a bit nefarious.

Offline DrgHybrid

• The Furry
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 02:25:30 pm »

[/quote]

Some things just don’t need to be mentioned. Like, the servers exact location, if they want to mention the actual cost, personal details tied to it.

There are details that should always stay private or only for people that need to know.
Private message is open to everyone! Feel free to message me if you have any problems or need help with anything.

jasper

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 07:38:39 pm »
This site is privately owned and falls under Swiss privacy law, which is great for everyone :)

Offline the_nude_topher

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 03:07:49 am »

Some things just don’t need to be mentioned. Like, the servers exact location, if they want to mention the actual cost, personal details tied to it.

There are details that should always stay private or only for people that need to know.
[/quote]

I never asked, or even cared, about where the servers are located. I was mostly wondering how the website continues with no ads, no memberships, or any means of support.

Offline NudieDaniel

• Transport nerd, Natureboy Kiwi
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • The control room
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 04:30:58 am »
@Pisco is the original founder of it. I "assume" that he fronts the bulk of it. @Delta pretty much knows most of the stuff for all the back end details but obviously we aren't going to say everything about it. :p

As far I know @Pisco covers our hosting at the moment
I'm everywhere and nowhere

Offline Dogoegma

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 08:18:30 pm »
Would @Pisco be ok with setting up a patreon or kickstarter/gofundme etc. to elicit support, market, and achieve longevity of the forum? I think it would be a good idea for the admins to select an administer to manage to treasury on @Pisco 's behalf. That way the site can have guaranteed financial support. There are those of us (including me) who would be happy to chip in a buck-a-month to keep the site going, and this would allow the site to remain up if, god forbid, the worst happens. It would also take some of the financial load off.

This gives me an idea. Maybe we could create a public (no registration required) chat to market to the general public, and from there recruit potential members from that chat (or even use publicly available ones [though it would be difficult to market on their behalf]) that seem trustworthy. In effect, we could market a 'front' group naturist chat and use that to filter out people that seem to be there for the wrong reasons. No idea if this is a good idea. Thoughts? Should I open a thread?

Offline DrgHybrid

• The Furry
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 11:42:05 pm »
The financial burden has never come up in moderator chat. I’m not sure how much it runs, but it couldn’t be much. When I ran my own, we hosted it on a local server and just the yearly registration fee. Less then 20 a year.

People also want to have a “voice” when contributing money or have expectations of what should happen. I just don’t think that would be in the best interest of the site.

As far as the suggestions, chat rooms carry a ton of bandwidth with them. They can quickly bog down the rest of the site. And for the type of content that is shown and are requirements to only give out contact info in private messages, we can’t just allow the general public. That could turn into a huge issue. Remember, we have minors here too. Last thing we need is someone that wouldn’t ever be here hitting on a 14 year old user or something. This is also why we already have discord for people just to chat.

All in all, it’s running pretty smooth and we’ve talked about a few things within our moderator section. Don’t worry about the site going down anytime soon.

Offline Dogoegma

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 08:11:16 am »
The financial burden has never come up in moderator chat. I’m not sure how much it runs, but it couldn’t be much. When I ran my own, we hosted it on a local server and just the yearly registration fee. Less then 20 a year.

People also want to have a “voice” when contributing money or have expectations of what should happen. I just don’t think that would be in the best interest of the site.

As far as the suggestions, chat rooms carry a ton of bandwidth with them. They can quickly bog down the rest of the site. And for the type of content that is shown and are requirements to only give out contact info in private messages, we can’t just allow the general public. That could turn into a huge issue. Remember, we have minors here too. Last thing we need is someone that wouldn’t ever be here hitting on a 14 year old user or something. This is also why we already have discord for people just to chat.

All in all, it’s running pretty smooth and we’ve talked about a few things within our moderator section. Don’t worry about the site going down anytime soon.

I would like to counter, if I may.
People may want to have such a voice, but it is not required to acquiesce such a request. Donating money is just that, a donation. You can offer some rewards for donating, but that is entirely optional and is not required (nor very appropriate here). I do think you have a point about some people's expectations, though.

The idea for the chat room was not intended to be a feature on the site, rather a completely different site entirely. The idea is to create an entirely new site for people to chat about naturism without the personal information of the users of this site. This allows the distance of not openly advertising the site, and allows the moderators to have a method of filtering out the ne'er-do-wells on that site. People with genuine interests would search for this site, eventually (probably, although this could be a trouble spot the more I think about it), and create an account. The motivation is to try and advertise naturism and to encourage people to visit this forum, without getting the site swamped with requests. It is important to keep what little ground has been won, in this regard, in my opinion.

But, I'll leave it to the admins and mods. I was just tossing an idea about, tis' all.

P.S. stay warm yeall. My room is very cold...

BellaJordan

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 04:25:44 pm »
Enough has been said about this topic. So I’m going ahead and locking it.

Please keep it locked