Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Edge of Darkness  (Read 847 times)

randomer909

Edge of Darkness
« on: January 30, 2010, 10:16:37 pm »
Starring: Mel Gibson, Ray Winstone, Danny Huston

Synopsis: Thomas Craven (Mel Gibson) is a veteran homicide detective in the Boston Police Department. As they are walking out the front door of his house, his 24-year old daughter Emma (Bojana Novakovic) is blow away by a shotgun blast. Everyone assumes that Thomas, who was standing next to her, was the killer's intended target. However, Thomas begins to suspect that Emma was the real target. Driven by heartache and blame, Thomas initiates his own private investigation to uncover Emma's secret life and the reason for her murder. His investigation leads him down the path of corporate and government cover-ups, which resulted in his daughter's elimination. Thomas receives some help from a government operative, Jedburgh (Ray Winstone), who has been sent in to clean-up the situation. Thomas Craven's search for the truth brings him closer to his daughter and his own deliverance

Review: When I saw the trailers for it, I thought Mel Gibson was back kicking ass, as with all the action that the trailer portrayed. This is definitely not an action movie. All of the action portrayed in the trailer is all your going to see in the movie. It is a detective drama mainly, with a tiny bit of action sprinkled in. So if your looking to see an Action Thriller your going to be dissapointed. As a drama, it was alright. No major twists or discoveries just a steady little amount flowing through

The acting wwasn't bad, but nothing memorable. Mel Gibson was pretty good though as a badass cop, with some funny threatening lines. I thought he could have portrayed a more depressing role at the begginging as you would if you had just seen your daughter die in your arms, but he's just full throttle bad-ass whihc I thought was a little off

The story is strong enough at the start, then very slow for a good portion of the film, but the ending completely caught me off guard It comes out of nowhere. The story has been done before, with Taken, except the daughter was killed and not taken, but Taken did a lot better job I think

Overall, it's nothing special. If you have nothing else to go and watch, maybe choose this, or just leave it to DVD rental. Overall, I give it 3 out of 5 stars

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:25:13 am by Danee »

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 14
Re: Edge of Darkness
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:01:50 pm »
Haven't seen it yet, but I'd hazard a guess that the original was better. The trailer for this made me laugh ^^
On an extended IYNO break... for now.