General Talk (primarily non-naturist) > The Hobby Hut

Language learning

<< < (2/7) > >>

jimr34:
I took five years of Spanish in school but have lost it all.....so sad.  I love learning languages though.  I'd really like to learn Italian!!

nudistteen400:
I'm learning Japanese now, mainly with the help of the lingodeer app. I'm also learning Spanish at school.

cdw:

--- Quote from: Cle Leftwrite on May 26, 2019, 01:08:17 pm ---I was learning Japanese in Uni for a year. Sadly the work load started to get to be too much and I wound up having to drop around the end of the second semester. I haven't practiced since so I've more or less gone back to square one. I still have the book so if I had the time I could probably do self study and at least get past the elementary level.

--- End quote ---
I'm the same with Japanese. I feel like it's one of those languages that a lot of people take up out of interest but don't have time to maintain.

Northman:

--- Quote from: cdw on May 26, 2019, 12:29:24 pm ---
--- Quote from: Northman on May 26, 2019, 09:42:19 am ---Have you tried Duolingo?

--- End quote ---
How advanced does Duolingo go? I tend to find those sorts of apps are better at the beginner's stage.
--- End quote ---

I do believe it is a progress tree kinda thing. You start with easy minigames and language structures, there are icons (topic) and under each icon is several aforementioned minigames that need to be passed before you have the whole set under that single icon, and you need to cover more topics before you can enter the next stage with different and advanced grammatical and vocabular contents. I believe the progress tree is quite extensive, I still haven't reached the end of any of the courses I have started, since ... well, life happens... and I opened up too many language courses to keep up progressing in all of them... :sad:

It maps your progress and reminds you to keep practicing - and if you neglect to practice, your progress - your 'fluency level' - will start to grow down, and it will eat away your previous accomplishents; your "Foods - 5/5", will turn into "Foods - 3/5" and so on...

Alex00:
I love learning languages. My mother tongue is german and in school I learned:
English (enough to understand everything and communicate with somebody in person, mistakes may occur :confused)
French (fluently, enough to communicate in person but I'm forgetting more and more vocabulary because I don't use it very often)
Spanish (only basics, enough to order una cerveza por favor)

I think that you learn languages by speaking them. Find a native speaker and convince him to teach you the basics and talk with you in the language. Or try to find a pen pal (nowadays with the internet it has become very easy to fcommunicate over long distances)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version