Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Which Genre Do YOU Think Works Better For Nudist Stories  (Read 13502 times)

Offline Cle Leftwrite

• Guy Talk
  • Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 1
Which Genre Do YOU Think Works Better For Nudist Stories
« on: July 02, 2019, 01:29:12 am »
So this has been something that I've been thinking over. On one hand Fantasy stories allow for magic and other trickery to get around normal limitations put on nudity as well as open up a lot of reasons that character's might go naked. On the other hand Science Fiction allows for technological/location based solutions to the same issues not to mention that since alien characters can be far less similar to humans they might be less likely to wear clothes. What do you all think?

Offline Longingtobenude

• Shouting it out loud
  • Hello:)
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Which Genre Do YOU Think Works Better For Nudist Stories
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 02:04:03 am »
I'd have to go with fantasy, although its a hard call for me.  With fantasy, its more reasonable to have a natural reason to go nude, vs with scifi, any technological reasons to go nude would seem contrived. 

In Philip Pullmans His Dark Materials, there are these witches who only wear very light clothing and the cold doesn't bother them.  It'd be cool to see characters like that, where wearing clothes blunted some natural ability.  So they are more "reasonable" in going nude. 

If you are writing for naturists to begin with though, you don't need to justify the nudism, but for a general audience I'd like to see a good justification.  Maybe that'll ease people down the path of thinking about nudism as something other than a weird subculture. 

Offline Cle Leftwrite

• Guy Talk
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 02:22:18 am »
I'd have to go with fantasy, although its a hard call for me.  With fantasy, its more reasonable to have a natural reason to go nude, vs with scifi, any technological reasons to go nude would seem contrived. 

If you are writing for naturists to begin with though, you don't need to justify the nudism, but for a general audience I'd like to see a good justification.  Maybe that'll ease people down the path of thinking about nudism as something other than a weird subculture.
I think I mostly agree but I can think of plenty of natural reasons for characters in a sci-fi setting to go nude. First and foremost is characters of non-human species. Stealing an example from the game Starbound the Hylotl are a peaceful, aquatic, race there is no good justification for them to wear clothes. They only do because that's how the game was made. 

Offline Longingtobenude

• Shouting it out loud
  • Hello:)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 07:40:34 am »

I think I mostly agree but I can think of plenty of natural reasons for characters in a sci-fi setting to go nude. First and foremost is characters of non-human species. Stealing an example from the game Starbound the Hylotl are a peaceful, aquatic, race there is no good justification for them to wear clothes. They only do because that's how the game was made.

That is a good example of it done right.  I might just be jaded cause of Piers Anthony. 

Offline shynudeboy

• Topless with bottoms
    • In The Deep End
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 10:48:53 am »
I reckon Scifi could work quite well. Unlike fantasy where the most of it can sometime be unrealistic, SciFi would allow for the stories to take a stance where what happens in there might not be realistic now, but could be in the future. So that might tie in quite nicely into a scifi story of where no one in the world wears clothes :P 

Offline carbon

• Guy Talk
  • Nude without Towel
  • Feeling Adequate.
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 03:22:17 pm »
I think it depends wholly on how the writer goes around the world-building aspect. So genre isn’t too important, imho.

My take is that science fiction is harder to pull off, since you kinda need to ass-pull and explain and illustrate bunch of science-y stuff in a way that’s plausible. So you need to justify nudity properly.

Fantasy on the other hand, is a free-for-all, as long as it’s convincing enough.

Offline Northman

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 05:34:24 pm »
I voted Fantasy.
Mostly because I would love to be able to write it, but mostly, it gives the chance to kinda start all over, and set a stage where everything is possible and the future is just a distant dream - I find it appealing. I have no definitive reason why it couldn't work in sci-fi, perhaps just not enough thought on my part.

I have also been thinking this same question on and off again - but I have been thinking it how to apply it into graphic novels.

Offline Riot.EXE

• Vigilante All-Star
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Not really a nudist, but y'all like me anyways...
  • Referrals: 5
    • HyperComboCast: Fighting Game Podcast
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 08:54:59 pm »
It doesn't matter what the genre is. It's all about the characters and the scale of the tale.

Offline NudistMetalHead

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 02:04:05 am »
It doesn't matter what the genre is. It's all about the characters and the scale of the tale.

Exactly how I feel!
"Don't talk to strangers 'cause they're only there to do you harm"- Ronnie James Dio

Offline Northman

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 08:19:48 pm »

Exactly how I feel!

One way of seeing the question could also be: "in which genre do you associate casual/non-sexual nudity?"

Offline Dyl10

• Nude with Towel
  • South African Naturist
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 08:46:45 pm »

Exactly how I feel!

One way of seeing the question could also be: "in which genre do you associate casual/non-sexual nudity?"

I feel true nudism can be portrayed in any genre  :grin:

Offline Bradythedog

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 07:04:46 pm »
I'm a writer. I don't think writing a story where nudism or naturism as the central theme is of interest to the general public. I think that including daily nudity as people have in their ordinary lives, showering etc., and extending it beyond some people's usual limitations, Walking around the house, going into the backyard, swimming, etc. works better. Jim or Jane Nudist as the main character is not relatable to most people. Jim or Jane Nudist as a subplot character is more relatable and perhaps quirky. I have used this in both my novels. Seems to work.

Offline Riot.EXE

• Vigilante All-Star
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Not really a nudist, but y'all like me anyways...
  • Referrals: 5
    • HyperComboCast: Fighting Game Podcast
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 04:54:58 am »
I'm a writer. I don't think writing a story where nudism or naturism as the central theme is of interest to the general public. I think that including daily nudity as people have in their ordinary lives, showering etc., and extending it beyond some people's usual limitations, Walking around the house, going into the backyard, swimming, etc. works better. Jim or Jane Nudist as the main character is not relatable to most people. Jim or Jane Nudist as a subplot character is more relatable and perhaps quirky. I have used this in both my novels. Seems to work.

Or just don't even bother mentioning nudism and just have casual nudity at all. You make a great point though, Brady.

Offline Cle Leftwrite

• Guy Talk
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 11:40:41 pm »
Oh I agree completely. When nudism is the main focus it distracts from the plot and/or turns "textile" readers away.