Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Classics  (Read 8056 times)

Offline nudesailor

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Classics
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 10:36:31 pm »
I find it hard to figure out what's a classic. I tend to read mostly SF and spy novels so I feel like I've read many of the classics in those genres.
Dance or die

Offline Fishandchips

• Guy Talk
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Nude when possible he/him
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2021, 12:49:13 am »
I find it hard to figure out what's a classic. I tend to read mostly SF and spy novels so I feel like I've read many of the classics in those genres.

War of the Worlds. I’d say that’s an SF classic … Unless your SF didn’t mean sci fi LOL

Offline steffy21

• Topless with bottoms
  • im steffy
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2023, 12:35:16 am »

Offline swede

• Guy Talk
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 14
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2023, 03:17:44 pm »

I read that last summer, it was a great read but perhaps not as good as its hyped

Offline spongeman

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2023, 08:35:55 pm »

I read that last summer, it was a great read but perhaps not as good as its hyped

It really depends on your cultural context. I imagine to most of the Western world, mass surveillance is probably the only relatable thing. But I live in a country that only recently regained independence from a regime where things like rewriting history, people disappearing were a cruel reality, so it was very interesting to compare a fiction book from the 1940s to my parents/grandparents' stories from their real lives. Same goes for Animal Farm - both of those were very relatable. For someone who lives in a mature democracy, I can imagine it would be hard to relate to those things.

Offline Longingtobenude

• Shouting it out loud
  • Hello:)
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2023, 06:48:54 pm »

It really depends on your cultural context. I imagine to most of the Western world, mass surveillance is probably the only relatable thing. But I live in a country that only recently regained independence from a regime where things like rewriting history, people disappearing were a cruel reality, so it was very interesting to compare a fiction book from the 1940s to my parents/grandparents' stories from their real lives. Same goes for Animal Farm - both of those were very relatable. For someone who lives in a mature democracy, I can imagine it would be hard to relate to those things.

I think A Brave New World fits western civilization better. 

Offline spongeman

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2023, 07:49:39 pm »

I haven't read that one but I probably should

Offline odcaf

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2023, 09:06:31 pm »

I haven't read that one but I probably should

A Brave New World is a classic for sure.

Offline steffy21

• Topless with bottoms
  • im steffy
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2023, 03:21:53 pm »

there is a lot of parallels that can be seen in todays democracy if you look slightly below the surface.

Offline grnt_425

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2023, 10:47:01 pm »
LOVE Kurt Vonnegut. I read Slaughterhouse Five in about two days because I couldn’t put it down. He has such an interesting satirical voice that just makes him so Compelling. I’m also a big fan of Joan Didion’s work but I would never consider her to be a classic author just yet.

Offline swede

• Guy Talk
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 14
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2023, 02:50:45 pm »

there is a lot of parallels that can be seen in todays democracy if you look slightly below the surface.

that i  agree with, the use of fear and shame to ever so slightly encroach our freedom and integrety