General Talk (primarily non-naturist) > Pitti's Book Club

Classics

<< < (4/6) > >>

nudesailor:
I find it hard to figure out what's a classic. I tend to read mostly SF and spy novels so I feel like I've read many of the classics in those genres.

Fishandchips:

--- Quote from: nudesailor on December 04, 2020, 10:36:31 pm ---I find it hard to figure out what's a classic. I tend to read mostly SF and spy novels so I feel like I've read many of the classics in those genres.

--- End quote ---

War of the Worlds. I’d say that’s an SF classic … Unless your SF didn’t mean sci fi LOL

steffy21:

swede:

--- Quote from: steffy21 on July 12, 2023, 12:35:16 am ---1984

--- End quote ---

I read that last summer, it was a great read but perhaps not as good as its hyped

spongeman:

--- Quote from: swede on July 12, 2023, 03:17:44 pm ---
--- Quote from: steffy21 on July 12, 2023, 12:35:16 am ---1984

--- End quote ---

I read that last summer, it was a great read but perhaps not as good as its hyped

--- End quote ---

It really depends on your cultural context. I imagine to most of the Western world, mass surveillance is probably the only relatable thing. But I live in a country that only recently regained independence from a regime where things like rewriting history, people disappearing were a cruel reality, so it was very interesting to compare a fiction book from the 1940s to my parents/grandparents' stories from their real lives. Same goes for Animal Farm - both of those were very relatable. For someone who lives in a mature democracy, I can imagine it would be hard to relate to those things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version