Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 303740 times)

Offline vanesa1017

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 2
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 09:01:45 pm »
Thanks Todd. 

I am now reading "The Last Lecture" I know I am a little late to the party, but it looks like a quick read.

Offline GolasPL

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 01:55:53 pm »
Right now I'm readinh Communism by Richard Pipes and Love the Revolution! by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Offline GolasPL

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 08:24:26 pm »
Right now I'm readinh Communism by Richard Pipes and Love the Revolution! by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Richard Pipes is a good political philosopher, but i found that he makes a few arguments in Communism which are a bit weak - i would definately recommend reading Marx and Engels' Manifesto though if you want the full story that Richard Pipes is critiquing :)

I'd read the Manifesto before. But all in all, I agree with Pipes. I come form a postcommunistic country, so I see why Pipies's critiquing this ideology;) Did you read something more about the communism in general?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:27:11 pm by GolasPL »

Offline Turtlejosh

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 12:02:18 am »
Making Money for me, by the genius that is Terry Pratchett. It's all about a conman whos running the bank after an encounter with the Leader of Ankh Morpork. It's great, like all the other Pratchett books i've read.

After that I'm finishing Dune. Heard it was a inspiration to my hobby so i thought i would check it out.

Offline GolasPL

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 08:40:47 pm »
I also like Terry Pratchett very much:). I've read about 15 parts of the Discworld. My favorite ones are Mort and all the parts about the Guards.

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 09:42:54 pm »
I'm currently reading "In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson. He's one of my favorite authors, and this book is certainly vintage Bryson. He has a great ability for making scenes come alive, particularly by making the mundane into the engaging and hilarious.

Oh wow! My favorite author too!  I read that book, then got the CDs at Barnes and Noble to hear him narrate it and ended up so entertained!  I bougt the rest of this books on CD too.  Incredible author with an interesting background. If you are into travel and humor, get all his books. You will not be disappointed and as I say, the Audio CDs are so good! 

-Danee

Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:23 am »
I'm currently reading "In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson. He's one of my favorite authors, and this book is certainly vintage Bryson. He has a great ability for making scenes come alive, particularly by making the mundane into the engaging and hilarious.

Oh wow! My favorite author too!  I read that book, then got the CDs at Barnes and Noble to hear him narrate it and ended up so entertained!  I bougt the rest of this books on CD too.  Incredible author with an interesting background. If you are into travel and humor, get all his books. You will not be disappointed and as I say, the Audio CDs are so good! 

-Danee

and you know something...I've never seen it for sale in Australia (well, more specifically Sydney). Gonna look for it now in earnest.

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 01:28:13 am »
Does Time magazine count?

:)

Offline NickUMA10

• The Nutty Professor
  • Nude with Towel
  • Freedom is a Mind and Body State
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 06:06:30 pm »
"Empire as a Way of Life"-by William Appleman Williams--if you care about American Political Thought and foreign affairs, it's a must.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people"-Confucius

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 14
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 10:21:08 pm »
I'm reading Colditz: The Definitive History. It's really interesting some of the escape attempts that people there made and some of the backstory to what the prison was and became. I'd recommend it, even if you don't like history or the Second World War, it's hugely entertaining.

On an extended IYNO break... for now.

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 01:58:05 am »
I think so, as his voice is so brilliant. Picture an American, who marries and moves to the UK for almost 20 years..

Hes wonderful. Get any of his books and get prepared to listen, or read to the end!
And then, wish they went on for many more chapters.  Trust me, Bill Bryson is the best!

-D
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline vanesa1017

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 11:27:33 am »
Agreed, love Bill Bryson.  My first experience with him was "A Walk in the Woods," what a funny, amazing read. 

Stuart

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 10:17:47 am »
Any people into historical stuff?

I just finished "Persian Fire" by Tom Holland, an excellent account of the wars between the Persian Empire and the Greeks, mostly Athens & Sparta. Its a very good read, although for some reason it seems to lack the homo-eroticism of 300  :909

"The Fall of Carthage" by Adrian Goldsworthy was another good one I read recently - its surprising just how similar some wars 2100 years ago can parallel so closely the first and second world wars.

maxwell

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 10:41:50 am »
"All I Need is Love" was the last book I've read - an autobiography by Klaus Kinski. I loved it, it's dashing and beautiful.

Stuart

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 10:46:43 am »
"All I Need is Love" was the last book I've read - an autobiography by Klaus Kinski. I loved it, it's dashing and beautiful.
That could be interesting. Was it as mad as he was?