Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 303985 times)

Offline AElf

• Free range naked Færie Princess
  • Female Chat
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 0
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #570 on: January 22, 2013, 09:29:46 pm »
I've been having a great time with a couple of science books over the last few days.  This is uncharacteristic for me as I'm usually more interested in literature, history and the social sciences.

The first, Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovsky, is a fascinating examination of the cataclysmic events which affected planet Earth during human pre-history and also within the historical period BCE.  The breadth and depth of Dr Velikovsky's examination and explanation of these events is enthralling, unbelievable.  No really, completely unbelievable!  This guy was crazier than a pet squirrel!  How his inane ramblings would for more than two decades attract a coterie of true believers beggars the imagination.  To summarize, according to the good Dr V there is no gravity and celestial mechanics functions on the basis of electromagnetism, Earth was at one time a satellite of Saturn (only latterly of the Sun), Venus is a mass of ejecta from the surface of Jupiter that became a comet which at least twice in Biblical times barely missed the Earth before settling into its present orbit,  Mars did largely the same thing and, with help from Mercury and Jupiter, were responsible for the cataclysmic events recorded in the Old Testament and in the mythologies of many cultures around the Earth.  This thesis is not presented as fiction but as indisputable historical fact.  Dr V believed it all fervently.  He wasn't a hoax artist, he was a nutbar.  Why was I reading such a book?  That is a fair question.

The other book that I read, The Pseudoscience Wars by Michael D. Gordin, is all about scientists who wear nothing but brushed pigskin.  I'm kidding of course and there is no goatskin involved either.  The Pseudoscience Wars is an examination of the controversies surrounding the initial publication of Worlds in Collision.  I had started reading Gordin's book first and became so intrigued with the absolutely nonsensical theories of Dr V that I had to set Gordin aside and venture into Worlds in Collision.

Oddly, I can recommend both books, the first as an example of personal mania portrayed as science, the second as an explanation of the so-called "Velikovsky Affair,"  something which was apparently quite the rage before any of us were born.
"Mankind is a frigid and ashamed creature. If we cannot deal with the basics of nudity then how on earth are we to make it in the world?" Naked Imp

"Don't make me release my flying monkeys" Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West

Offline beachboy1

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #571 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:56 pm »
I like to read books about many different things, mostly inspirational books about integrating mind, body & spirit. I find each one has some interesting ideas, then I read another and it adds to what the previous one said.  Over the holidays I found another book I had when I was younger called 'The Phantom Tollbooth'.  It is about the adventures of a boy and his dog exploring strange lands and I'm reading it again just for fun. :cool:

Stuart

« Reply #572 on: January 22, 2013, 09:51:28 pm »
The first, Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovsky, is a fascinating examination of the cataclysmic events which affected planet Earth during human pre-history and also within the historical period BCE.  The breadth and depth of Dr Velikovsky's examination and explanation of these events is enthralling, unbelievable.  No really, completely unbelievable!  This guy was crazier than a pet squirrel!  How his inane ramblings would for more than two decades attract a coterie of true believers beggars the imagination.  To summarize, according to the good Dr V there is no gravity and celestial mechanics functions on the basis of electromagnetism, Earth was at one time a satellite of Saturn (only latterly of the Sun), Venus is a mass of ejecta from the surface of Jupiter that became a comet which at least twice in Biblical times barely missed the Earth before settling into its present orbit,  Mars did largely the same thing and, with help from Mercury and Jupiter, were responsible for the cataclysmic events recorded in the Old Testament and in the mythologies of many cultures around the Earth.  This thesis is not presented as fiction but as indisputable historical fact.  Dr V believed it all fervently.  He wasn't a hoax artist, he was a nutbar.  Why was I reading such a book?  That is a fair question.

I'll have what he's drinking.

Offline MERRD

• Nude without Towel
  • The Royal Naked One
    • My Interview on IYNO
« Reply #573 on: January 26, 2013, 01:54:13 am »
Finally got my Kindle!

I was reading American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis before I started posting this and I will resume right about...

now...
"They found out my degree was less than legitimate"
"I thought you had a bachelor from Columbia?"
"Yeah, so now I need one from America"

Offline Daft

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #574 on: February 10, 2013, 05:07:20 pm »

In English (it hasn't been released here in Brazil so far), so I guess it'll take a long time to finish it.
A nova geração.

Offline Northman

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #575 on: February 11, 2013, 11:57:00 am »
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #576 on: February 15, 2013, 02:40:14 am »
Currently reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheeps" by Philip K. Dick.

It's excellent!
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

Offline Archaewok1

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #577 on: February 15, 2013, 11:38:16 pm »
"Understanding the Antioxidant Controversy" by Paul E. Milbury. This book is somewhat meh, considering like the first chapter mentions 'there isn't much scientific evidence for or against antioxidant use,' but it has been interesting to find out how free radicals form and damage the body.

"The Schools Our Children Deserve" by Alfie Kohn. This book talks about traditional schooling (teacher as lecturer, performance-based atmosphere, little student choice) vs. progressive schooling models (teacher as guide, learning-focused atmosphere, students have some say in what they learn and how they learn it) and why progressive schooling models are better. This book is review for me, as I've read other books of his, but it seems like it will be good review regardless.

Offline King Pizza

• I'm too blessed to be dressed ><N>
  • Shouting it out loud
  • unstressed = undressed; no curse means no clothes
  • Referrals: 7
    • My Linktree
« Reply #578 on: February 16, 2013, 02:31:59 am »
books for uni!
I have got a 15 book queue as well :(

:3145 except I have 30 books in my queue.
John 8:32 Truth=freedom
><> (Christianity) + Naturism = ><N> Christian Naturist
"We must pray for the courage to endure the scorn of the sophisticated world"- Justice A. Scalia
Once we existed in colonies; now, we are free. ><N>
Proud to be an American Conservative Nudist

Offline Pitti

• Local Moderator
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 8
« Reply #579 on: February 24, 2013, 03:21:08 pm »
I´m reading the book "Still missing" by Chevy Stevens. A really interesting book about a woman and this woman will kidnapped. The book are telling her time with the kidnapper and the time after her escape and killing the kidnapper.
"If war is the answer, then we ask the wrong questions."
(Wenn Krieg die Antwort ist, dann stellen wir die falschen Fragen)

Susan G. Komen

Offline lord_george

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #580 on: February 24, 2013, 06:22:36 pm »
I just finished Zelda Fitzgerald's collected works a few days ago. I really enjoyed her writing! It was fascinating to read (semi)autobiographical stories from her point of view instead of that of F. Scott. Her novel, Save Me the Waltz, was great! I thought that her short stories were good too, and especially enjoyed her letters.
Now I'm just reading Star Trek: The Next Generation #1: Ghost Ship. Big change from Zelda  :tongue:

Offline chrisw91

• Mmmm lasagna
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Hey guys, Im Chris. Im 23 and from UK
  • Referrals: 2
    • My Coin of the Realm!
« Reply #581 on: February 24, 2013, 07:49:15 pm »
The Walking Dead graphic novels. They are great. Its strange though as I have watched the series before and not read the comics so its interesting seeing the differences. I can understand now why comic book readers get frustrated when their favorite comics come out in movies or tv shows.
I became aware of my destiny: to belong to the critical minority as opposed to the unquestioning majority.

Offline Riley_Gautier

• Chris' girl <3 Logans future mummy
  • Nude without Towel
  • My body is a canvas - to a growing baby boy
« Reply #582 on: February 25, 2013, 05:13:55 pm »
The Magicians Guild - Trudi Canavan. Will give a review one ive started them properly. I was recommended them from a friend and was told they was good :D
Can't wait to be a mummy <3

Offline matturist

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #583 on: February 26, 2013, 04:08:14 am »
I'm currently making my way through The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen while re-reading Storm of Swords (George R. R. Martin) in preparation for the next Game of Thrones season.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #584 on: February 26, 2013, 04:25:09 am »
Let the right one in by John Ajvide Lindqvist.
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)