Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 303790 times)

Surin Blastanos

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #1080 on: January 29, 2021, 02:21:37 pm »
Did your class have to do it as a closed book exam? It's been 3 years, and I still remember some of the points we had to make. Some were a bit of a stretch.

"Slim reached up over the card table and turned on the tin-shaded electric light. " This clearly shows that Slim brought light to the ranch by being someone the others could look up to, right? :laughcrying:

Offline It’s only me

• Teens Only Member
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1081 on: January 29, 2021, 02:37:00 pm »
Did your class have to do it as a closed book exam? It's been 3 years, and I still remember some of the points we had to make. Some were a bit of a stretch.

"Slim reached up over the card table and turned on the tin-shaded electric light. " This clearly shows that Slim brought light to the ranch by being someone the others could look up to, right? :laughcrying:

Haha yeah. Some of it was definitely a bit tenuous.
Todos somos perfectos
En todas formas y héchos

Offline Interested Nudist

• Teens Only Member
  • Shouting it out loud
  • This is America. You can always cut a deal.
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #1082 on: January 29, 2021, 03:09:04 pm »
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck was the last book I had to read.

What'd you think? I had to read that in HS as well. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to do it and I had to read most of it when I was away camping with a friend up in the white mountains in NH.

The book was unique to say the least. I didn't all of it either because of how much work we had and how little time there was. The use of intercalary chapters was confusing at first but they turned out to be the ones I enjoyed the most because they offered a good look into society during the Depression.  There is an obvious bias throughout the book towards the workers and against anyone who was well off. While I understand his dislike of corporations, the negative light in which a lot of lesser people were shown (like the car mechanic or some California farmers) was unfair. It was a tough time for all Americans. The theme of unity mattering was a good point added in. The actual story concerning the Joads was alright. They got rid of a lot of the characters they introduced in the book. While it might be to show how the Joads were falling apart, it also felt like Steinbeck was getting rid of underdeveloped characters. Lot of biblical references and the language was always very descriptive. Sometimes over-descriptive. Pretty decent read. Not sure how I felt about the ending though. Not the best book though if you just want to learn about the Great Depression and how it affected the people.
"It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates

Offline Fishandchips

• Guy Talk
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Nude when possible he/him
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #1083 on: January 29, 2021, 05:18:06 pm »

We did Of Mice and Men

Oh I remember Of Mice and Men! Loved it. Our teacher tried putting on voices when he read parts out. He also showed us the movie too. Gary Sinse (Detective Taylor in CSI New York) played George. Also recognised Ray Walston (Boothby from Star Trek TNG and voyager) as Candy. After watching that we took the teachers voice acting even less seriously than before.

Offline RS

• Teens Only Member
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #1084 on: January 29, 2021, 05:37:59 pm »

What'd you think? I had to read that in HS as well. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to do it and I had to read most of it when I was away camping with a friend up in the white mountains in NH.

The book was unique to say the least. I didn't all of it either because of how much work we had and how little time there was. The use of intercalary chapters was confusing at first but they turned out to be the ones I enjoyed the most because they offered a good look into society during the Depression.  There is an obvious bias throughout the book towards the workers and against anyone who was well off. While I understand his dislike of corporations, the negative light in which a lot of lesser people were shown (like the car mechanic or some California farmers) was unfair. It was a tough time for all Americans. The theme of unity mattering was a good point added in. The actual story concerning the Joads was alright. They got rid of a lot of the characters they introduced in the book. While it might be to show how the Joads were falling apart, it also felt like Steinbeck was getting rid of underdeveloped characters. Lot of biblical references and the language was always very descriptive. Sometimes over-descriptive. Pretty decent read. Not sure how I felt about the ending though. Not the best book though if you just want to learn about the Great Depression and how it affected the people.

Completely agree with your analysis. I think the flowery language was just a product of the time. I've also read Dickens and its even worse.

Offline It’s only me

• Teens Only Member
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #1085 on: January 29, 2021, 06:08:20 pm »

We did Of Mice and Men

Oh I remember Of Mice and Men! Loved it. Our teacher tried putting on voices when he read parts out. He also showed us the movie too. Gary Sinse (Detective Taylor in CSI New York) played George. Also recognised Ray Walston (Boothby from Star Trek TNG and voyager) as Candy. After watching that we took the teachers voice acting even less seriously than before.

Yeah we watched the movie as well.
Todos somos perfectos
En todas formas y héchos

Offline frehm92

• Shouting it out loud
  • Freedom means Love
    • Nakenfri
« Reply #1086 on: January 29, 2021, 08:34:56 pm »
Reading "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes".
It's the only one of the Hunger games book I've read.
The reason that I didn't read  the other books is that they are all written in first person and presens which I find very annoying. "I see him coming, I shoot an arrow, then I climb up the tree..."
The human body is a beutiful gift and a treasure more valuable than any gold in the world.

Offline NudeBoldo

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #1087 on: August 28, 2021, 08:55:35 am »
I've just read "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" with my English class.
I -really- loved it, same as my students.

Offline Mpow1234

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #1088 on: August 28, 2021, 09:49:24 am »
The Alex Verus book series

Offline Fishandchips

• Guy Talk
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Nude when possible he/him
« Reply #1089 on: August 28, 2021, 09:41:23 pm »
I haven’t read a book in a couple of years. I get bursts of reading frenzy that might last a few weethen I lose interest for a very long period of time. I’ve got a lot to read and a decent variety too.

Surin Blastanos

« Reply #1090 on: August 29, 2021, 05:13:59 pm »
I'm reading Children of Dune, Lolita and Ender in Exile at the minute

Offline Cedric

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #1091 on: August 29, 2021, 09:30:49 pm »
I am reading Jouissance: Sexuality, Suffering and Satisfaction from Darian Leader (in English not my native language)
Its a really nice deep dive.

Offline the_nude_topher

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #1092 on: August 30, 2021, 01:46:12 am »
I am reading Jouissance: Sexuality, Suffering and Satisfaction from Darian Leader (in English not my native language)

Are you reading that for (forgive the term pleasure) or do you have a *here we go again* deep seated interest in psychoanalysis. I'm more of a behaviorist/social learning theorist in my leanings. Psychoanalysis and evocative therapy may be interesting, but practically knowing the reason why does not necessarily change the behavior.  (Dr. Pavlov, did you just ring)

Offline Cedric

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #1093 on: August 30, 2021, 06:27:51 am »

Are you reading that for (forgive the term pleasure) or do you have a *here we go again* deep seated interest in psychoanalysis. I'm more of a behaviorist/social learning theorist in my leanings. Psychoanalysis and evocative therapy may be interesting, but practically knowing the reason why does not necessarily change the behavior.  (Dr. Pavlov, did you just ring)

I have a deep seated interest in the psychoanalysis of Darian Leader, just happens to be this is his newest book :). I am practicing whats in the book lol

Offline MentaGlaciajxo

• Female Chat
  • Topless with bottoms
    • Pensoj el La Malantaŭa Aŭtoseĝo - Poetry in Esperanto
« Reply #1094 on: September 13, 2021, 06:59:23 am »
I'm reading Humble Pi: When Math Goes Wrong in the Real World by Matt Parker (aka StandUpMaths on YouTube)
Why do we drive on the parkway, and park on the driveway?