Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 304144 times)

Offline mcibear

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2010, 06:03:40 am »
Air Pilots Manual #1 as ive just started to learn to fly :)
  Wish I could aford to have the need to read that book.

DiElle

« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2010, 09:44:26 am »
I'm reading a book named "Kafka on the shore", written by Haruki Murakami. It is a strange and surreal novel.
This novel talk about of two different persons, whose lives seems to be connected in some particular way.

The first character is a 15-year old boy who runaway from home, due the bad relationship with his father, and the second character is an odd old man who can speak with cats.

Offline aepplerqueen

• Female Chat
  • Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 6
    • Anne :-)
« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2010, 10:27:31 am »
I'm reading: Voodo, by Nick Stone!
It's about a kidnapped child in Haiti -
reading is very exciting

simonalexander2005

« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2010, 11:20:53 pm »
I'm currently reading Alistair Reynold's new(ish) book - Terminal World. It's a really interesting read, and I recommend it to any sci-fi/fantasy/adventure lovers - completely different to the majority of his longer works, however.

Offline Ed

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2010, 07:23:13 pm »
The new Iain M Banks Culture novel, Surface Detail.

Stuart

« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2010, 07:27:16 pm »
I'm reading the autobiography of Rudolf Höss, who was the Commandant of the Auschwitz concentration camp during the Second World War. Fascinating and terrifying at the same time.

horatio

« Reply #201 on: October 18, 2010, 09:34:40 am »
Just finished Zafón (The Game of the Angel). Not bad, except for the end... Now reading a history book "The Taste of Conquest" by Michael Krondl. It's about the rise and the fall of three great cities of spice: Venice, Amsterdam and Lisbon.

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2010, 11:44:18 am »
Just finished up the Drillmaster of Valley Forge, the story of Baron de Steuben (or Baron Von Steuben as one might have learned in US History, he himself preferred the French de Steuben).  Very good book (ok shameless plug, as it was written by a professor of mine from university) and a very good story of European contributions to the war in the colonies and the tensions between American colonists born in the colonies and the Europeans who came to aid in the cause. 

Today I just started Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue (author escapes me at the moment) but it seems so far to be about the eccentricities of the English language and how we came to Modern English via various other language, both European and non-European.  Pretty fascinating stuff, but linguistics and etymology are fun areas of study for me.

horatio

« Reply #203 on: October 18, 2010, 01:56:10 pm »
Pretty fascinating stuff, but linguistics and etymology are fun areas of study for me.

Hey, buddy! Linguistics is my discipline too, i studied it! Maybe we can swap some good reading suggestions...

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #204 on: October 18, 2010, 05:23:19 pm »
Pretty fascinating stuff, but linguistics and etymology are fun areas of study for me.

Hey, buddy! Linguistics is my discipline too, i studied it! Maybe we can swap some good reading suggestions...

I actually did not study linguistics in school (history is my area of concentration) but linguistics and how people communicate has always fascinated me.

Eric

« Reply #205 on: October 18, 2010, 08:45:58 pm »
Just started reading The Moral Landscape: How Science Can determine Human Values, by Sam Harris.

Offline MrDude

• Read-Only
  • Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #206 on: October 19, 2010, 01:11:27 pm »
Reading the Ian Fleming's 007 series...Great books (a lil old-fashioned!)

horatio

« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2010, 04:39:11 pm »

I actually did not study linguistics in school (history is my area of concentration) but linguistics and how people communicate has always fascinated me.

Well, history keeps fascinating me too. So if you have something to recommend or to discuss, I am in! :) Of course, much easier for me would be the European history... :)

Stuart

« Reply #208 on: October 19, 2010, 09:16:19 pm »
I'm reading the autobiography of Rudolf Höss, who was the Commandant of the Auschwitz concentration camp during the Second World War. Fascinating and terrifying at the same time.

That is some heavy reading Stuart.
I remember my grandfather telling me stories (As a kid i was fascinated listening to them, but they also gave me alot of nightmares) about the things he experienced serving as a soldier during the second World War...

Its not too heavy - he wrote his autobiography between his conviction and his execution (which was performed at Auschwitz) so its not actually that long - they didn't hang around once he was convicted, if you'll pardon the pun. Its a fascinating look into his mind though. He so often seems reasonable and sensible, then he makes a comment about "the Jew" or "the homosexual" and how they should be dealt with, and a chill goes down your spine.

simonalexander2005

« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2010, 01:37:00 am »
The new Iain M Banks Culture novel, Surface Detail.

Oooh a new one! *buys*