Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 303808 times)

Offline Historybuff83

• Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 1
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #270 on: January 10, 2011, 01:47:04 am »
I was so tempted to buy Outliers and Tipping Point this weekend, but resisted due to reading about book

Offline King Pizza

• I'm too blessed to be dressed ><N>
  • Shouting it out loud
  • unstressed = undressed; no curse means no clothes
  • Referrals: 7
    • My Linktree
« Reply #271 on: January 10, 2011, 04:20:40 pm »
I too was tempted to buy a book this weekend, but I did not because I did not borrow the book from the library first, which is what I did with Outliers and most of my other books. I purchase very very few books sight unseen.
John 8:32 Truth=freedom
><> (Christianity) + Naturism = ><N> Christian Naturist
"We must pray for the courage to endure the scorn of the sophisticated world"- Justice A. Scalia
Once we existed in colonies; now, we are free. ><N>
Proud to be an American Conservative Nudist

Offline WillAlvein

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #272 on: January 10, 2011, 10:10:04 pm »
Currently reading The concubine's tattoo, by Laura Joh Rowland.

It's a novel based in the Japan of 1690 and have a good view of all kind of interpersonal relations and how was homosexuality or women seen by nobility and normal people.

jedinudist

« Reply #273 on: January 13, 2011, 05:00:44 am »
Finished World Without End a few days ago - it was great. Back to proofreading my stuff

Offline King Pizza

• Shouting it out loud
    • My Linktree
« Reply #274 on: January 14, 2011, 10:18:50 pm »
I'm currently reading The creature from Jekyll Island by G. Edward Griffin. It's about the history of the Federal Reserve and related subjects. 
"We must pray for the courage to endure the scorn of the sophisticated world"- Justice A. Scalia

Offline WillAlvein

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2011, 01:04:19 pm »
Currently reading The concubine's tattoo, by Laura Joh Rowland.

It's a novel based in the Japan of 1690 and have a good view of all kind of interpersonal relations and how was homosexuality or women seen by nobility and normal people.

Just finished the book. Bought two days ago the sequel "The Samurai's Wife", so I'll be reading it between study sessions.

Offline george75

• Read-Only
  • Topless with bottoms
  • i am my own god
« Reply #276 on: January 25, 2011, 06:32:46 am »
revolution and property by Proudon.

next will be : walden or life in the woods by H.Thoreau
i fear nothing
i hope for nothing
i am free

osirus_4

« Reply #277 on: February 07, 2011, 05:35:22 pm »
I am  currently reading a bunch of different books. Dawkins-The God Delusion is the one I have been at for the longest. Second on the list would be Midnight's Children bu Rushdie. Those are books that I keep coming back to but ever seem to finish. I probably complete a novel of some sort every single week. It just depends on where my mood is. Part of what I like about being a nudist is reading outdoors in the summer and letting the sun warm the entire body.

Offline Dan

• N Forum Veteran
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #278 on: February 07, 2011, 08:41:03 pm »
I am  currently reading a bunch of different books. Dawkins-The God Delusion is the one I have been at for the longest. Second on the list would be Midnight's Children bu Rushdie. Those are books that I keep coming back to but ever seem to finish.

I'm curious. What makes you want to read Dawkin's book and what discourages you from finishing it?
"Politics is an ocean of toes" - Jacques Parizeau (1930-2015, RIP)

osirus_4

« Reply #279 on: February 08, 2011, 04:08:24 pm »
I am  currently reading a bunch of different books. Dawkins-The God Delusion is the one I have been at for the longest. Second on the list would be Midnight's Children bu Rushdie. Those are books that I keep coming back to but ever seem to finish.

I'm curious. What makes you want to read Dawkin's book and what discourages you from finishing it?

I don't get discouraged from finishing as much as i get distracted. I have only been reading it for 2 months but I usually read a book in a few days. Without getting into religion too much, I am an atheist and Dawkins is the forthright expert on that topic. His books are very interesting with well constructed arguments addressing questions that I have been asking from the time I realized that organized religion's basis on "blind faith" made little sense.

The reason I haven't finished? I work with people all day and spend a lot of my time trying to make people act in there own best interest against there own early objections. At the end of the day i just want to shut off the brain and relax.

Offline blu333y3s

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #280 on: February 09, 2011, 02:35:10 pm »
I am  currently reading a bunch of different books. Dawkins-The God Delusion is the one I have been at for the longest. Second on the list would be Midnight's Children bu Rushdie. Those are books that I keep coming back to but ever seem to finish. I probably complete a novel of some sort every single week. It just depends on where my mood is. Part of what I like about being a nudist is reading outdoors in the summer and letting the sun warm the entire body.

I'm so pleased to see that there is someone else who understands the appeal of reading multiple books at the same time. I have tried to explain to people and the best I can come up with is; " well you don't stop watching TV because you can't see a series all the way through from end to end, you chop and change, and you are able to pick up the story line and the characters when you return to it..."
I often have 4-5 on the go at once, currently (One of mine is also a Dawkins)
The God delusion, A short history of nearly everything, Jack Maggs, The audacity of hope, the best Australian essays 2009 and Avocado..
Over Xmas I also picked up a few new ones either purchased or gifts that I'm keen to get started on, though I think I should finish at least one of these before I start on another new one. ...
Incidentally I also heard this week that one of Dawkins colleagues Christopher Hitchens has been diagnosed with cancer. Through one of the articles I read mention of one of his books intrigued me, so I have ordered it  “letters to a young contrarian” – has anyone read it?
Happy reading fellow multitasker.

Offline King Pizza

• Shouting it out loud
    • My Linktree
« Reply #281 on: February 09, 2011, 03:24:42 pm »
I too read multiple books at the same time. :63424 Right now I'm reading The American Patriot's Almanac, Nudity and Christianity and The tyranny of nice.  In addition to those I have my books to read for class. (Total snoozers though, they end up putting me to sleep.)   

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #282 on: February 13, 2011, 10:09:23 am »
"The Beach" by Alex Garland - of course, far better than the movie
I may be nude but at least my mind is open

Offline blu333y3s

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2011, 01:00:28 pm »
If only I had more time! I get really intrigued when people tell me about the books they are reading.. I think that is where my multi reading developed. :D

Leah, aren’t they all!

Offline bluetrain

• N Forum Veteran
  • Topless with bottoms
« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2011, 01:07:58 pm »
I'm reading the Iliad but it's more like a study than a book, so I'm reading it for the last, guess, six months. Lol. Got already through half of it. In addition to that have been reading other stuff. Yesterday bought very cheap books, among them l'étranger by Camus... Started it and i'm liking it! :rolleyes:

Multiple books are awesomeness!
"Too many young folk have addition to superficial things and not enough conviction for substantial things like justice, truth and love."
- Cornel West