General Talk (primarily non-naturist) > The Hobby Hut

Points and Miles

(1/2) > >>

Spamaven34:
One of my favorite hobbies is collecting and using points and miles for travel. From this hobby, I have been able travel around the world in luxury at little cost - something I could never afford on my own. While I travel for work (well at least I did), I get most of my points and miles from credit card “churning”. This is where you sign up for a new credit card to get the sign up bonus and then go on to the next card. My latest redemption was flying to Japan in business class both ways and staying at a 5-star hotel for 5 days. Does anyone else dabble in the points game?

Jona:
I do! I've opened the AMEX Platinum in the past year, which given the signup bonus and perks it easily negates the fee for the first year. It's truly free money and benefits when you work it out.

AmericanSwede:
I do points. I’m elite status on many hotels, airlines and car rentals now.

Be careful about churning. It negatively affects your credit score after awhile.

Also, if anyone is doing the gift card buying to score points, and then dumping the gift cards, that is actually against the terms and conditions and many people have had their points voided and frequent flier accounts closed.

HJ1997:
I have a Capital One card that I pay for everything with to build up the miles. I have only been able to take advantage of the points once last year though.

Jona:

--- Quote from: AmericanSwede on May 09, 2020, 04:49:44 pm ---I do points. I’m elite status on many hotels, airlines and car rentals now.

Be careful about churning. It negatively affects your credit score after awhile.

Also, if anyone is doing the gift card buying to score points, and then dumping the gift cards, that is actually against the terms and conditions and many people have had their points voided and frequent flier accounts closed.

--- End quote ---

AMEX was evil a few weeks ago- apparently they've been charging people who bought gift cards TWO YEARS AGO and got compensated via card benefits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version