Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Anyone else here a programmer?  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Borter

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Anyone else here a programmer?
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2020, 02:09:04 pm »
I have basic knowledges about Python language. I would like to expand my skills in programming. Which languages do you all recommend?

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to go into embedded development (write software for devices) I would suggests C++ (and C for very lowlevel tasks), for Windows Desktop applications perhaps C# would be better, for Android Java or Kotlin, for Web development its good to start with php and JavaScript (also if it is possible to do it also with Java on server side).

With some html and css skill what is the next thing I should try and learn?
If you want to become more professional on websites I would suggest JavaScript (needed for scripting on the browser side) and php (for scripting on server side).

Offline Gusse

• Topless with bottoms
  • Can you feel the spacetime distortion?
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2020, 09:50:07 pm »
I think that nowdays node.js is very good to know. You can make desktop apps with it with electron, you can use node.js to code server-side. Node.js also has a good package manager npm. So I will suggest node.js. It is also good way to move on from python-like languages to more advanced languages like C.

If there needs to be semicolon after command in a language, it is advanced language.
"We are psychos."
"And I am history."

Offline FelixH2020

• Teens Only Member
  • Nude with Towel
  • Will change picture when more confidence!
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2020, 10:33:30 am »
C++ is very much not designed to be a language that can easily be picked up. The concepts are not that different from other languages, but it has a lot more potential for working with the bare metal and getting hurt in the process, and a lot of historical baggage. A valuable skill to learn, but probably not as an intro to programming.

Thanks! I think it looks like Java for me next then  :coffee2

Offline CP2003

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2020, 10:59:39 pm »
I'm currently studying computer science and I've been taught that, once you know the different paradigms, and you know what you want to make and how to make it, then that should govern your choice of language. Hi early though, any relatively universal language like C (++/#) or Java would be best to move on to as you can use them in a great many scenarios.

We're doing C# because we are making games in Unity2D, but I'd much rather use C++ or Python because that's where my familiarity and (limited) experience lies.

Offline ejniceguy

• Guy Talk
  • Topless with bottoms
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2020, 07:22:53 pm »
I'm currently studying computer science and I've been taught that, once you know the different paradigms, and you know what you want to make and how to make it, then that should govern your choice of language. Hi early though, any relatively universal language like C (++/#) or Java would be best to move on to as you can use them in a great many scenarios.

We're doing C# because we are making games in Unity2D, but I'd much rather use C++ or Python because that's where my familiarity and (limited) experience lies.

A quote from my professor that always stood with me is the hardest programming language to learn is your first one. Which makes a lot of sense, because a lot of the concepts are similar between many of the more popular languages. And at that point, all you need to do is figure out the differences in syntax and such between languages A and B, which is easy enough to determine once you know what you’re looking for.

Offline CP2003

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2020, 12:05:03 am »

A quote from my professor that always stood with me is the hardest programming language to learn is your first one. Which makes a lot of sense, because a lot of the concepts are similar between many of the more popular languages. And at that point, all you need to do is figure out the differences in syntax and such between languages A and B, which is easy enough to determine once you know what you’re looking for.

That's a good way of thinking about it.  :like

Offline TheNudeBot

• Home nudist (for now)
  • Teens Only Member
  • Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 8
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2020, 02:53:17 am »
C++ is very much not designed to be a language that can easily be picked up. The concepts are not that different from other languages, but it has a lot more potential for working with the bare metal and getting hurt in the process, and a lot of historical baggage. A valuable skill to learn, but probably not as an intro to programming.

Ironically, C++ is the language my college uses for its Computer Science 1 & 2 courses
There’s not only nothing wrong with nudity, but it also feels great if you give it a fair chance!

Offline Soldyrkare

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2020, 07:32:44 am »
A bit. I like it tbh, it can be a lot of fun and it's very creative. I'm not super adept at it at the moment but I'm learning.

Offline TheMattinator

• Teens Only Member
  • Nude without Towel
  • Now worth 87p!
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2021, 03:23:45 pm »

Ironically, C++ is the language my college uses for its Computer Science 1 & 2 courses

isnt it really old? do people still use it for real things?

Offline Soldyrkare

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2021, 09:38:28 pm »

It is old but incredibly powerful. You have full control more or less, and it's the main language used when building larger scale applications because of its resource efficiency. Also it's fun, I'd say, lol.

Offline Borter

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2021, 06:45:17 pm »
Yes, of course, why not? C++ is state of the art for a lot of applications.

Yes, there are more modern languages, but they also have their own drawbacks. Scripting (JS, python, ...) for example is normally slower than compiled languages, and most script languages don't have strong typing and other compile time error checking that can lead to failures that aren't possible with C++.

A lot of modern languages (for example C# with .NET, Java) use managed code and a virtual machine where the code runs. This of course has some advantages like platform independent applications (but platform independent applications are also possible with C++ without a lot of work) or a little bit easier memory management - but easier memory management doesn't mean that you don't have to plan your memory management what is a big misunderstanding of a lot of people that use such languages. Yes, of course, you don't have to explicit delete your objects, but of course you have to manually empty all references  that you don't need anymore because the garbage collector cannot know what you don't need in the future.
Of course in C++ you have to be more carefully when doing your memory management than on C#, Java, Python or something else, but modern C++ also has very good tools for most of the use cases to build good and reliable code.
For example some drawback of applications building based on .NET or Java is that they are slower if code is executed the first time (so the JIT-Compiler has to compile it), and that the garbage collector when activated needs ressources what can be a real problem on time sensitive applications. 

Also these systems are not usable for system applications for example kernels, drivers, libraries with direct hardware access and so on.
Most open source software, operating systems and similar is written in C or C++.

At the moment there is no really good alternative for C++, I think the only interesting language for this could be Rust at the moment.

I also think that it is not bad to use C++ for learning. To learn C++ is hard, of course - but with C++ you learn how to manage your memory and to work carefully because C++ revenges on errors that other "modern" languages will ignore.
But when learing programming with C++ it is really important to learn how to code object oriented - because C++ also allows other programming styles that at the first moment seam to be easier, but will lead to more complicated code.

Which language is the best depends on the task - there is no language that is the best for all problems.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 06:47:25 pm by Borter »

Offline Redfrigginriot

• Nude with Towel
  • Just a naked nerd. Feel free to DM.
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2021, 03:48:11 am »
Reluctantly yes. I am very tired and can't remember if I've already commented on this before. I like making programs but I do not like programming. Nothing ever goes exactly how you think it will.
Asso dell'anima

Offline thelvx

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2021, 04:22:55 pm »
Bash isn’t bad to learn

Offline Borter

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2021, 09:57:52 pm »
Reluctantly yes. I am very tired and can't remember if I've already commented on this before. I like making programs but I do not like programming. Nothing ever goes exactly how you think it will.
Which language do you use? Or how do you create programs without programming? :-)

Offline Surin Blastanos

• Guy Talk
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2021, 11:21:47 pm »
Which language do you use? Or how do you create programs without programming? :-)
You do what they did in The Three Body Problem. Take three soldiers, and have one of them facing the other two. Give each of them a black flag and a white flag, and tell the one on their own that if both of the others raise white flags, they should also raise a white flag. If either or both of the others raise a black flag, they should raise a black flag. In doing, you have created an AND gate. Do the same thing to create an OR gate and a NOT gate. Expand this, overlaying each "Gate" of people until you have an ALU. From there, you can build up a basic computer, and then code directly using people