Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Anyone else here a programmer?  (Read 14251 times)

Offline Borter

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Anyone else here a programmer?
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2021, 06:45:17 pm »
isnt it really old? do people still use it for real things?
Yes, of course, why not? C++ is state of the art for a lot of applications.

Yes, there are more modern languages, but they also have their own drawbacks. Scripting (JS, python, ...) for example is normally slower than compiled languages, and most script languages don't have strong typing and other compile time error checking that can lead to failures that aren't possible with C++.

A lot of modern languages (for example C# with .NET, Java) use managed code and a virtual machine where the code runs. This of course has some advantages like platform independent applications (but platform independent applications are also possible with C++ without a lot of work) or a little bit easier memory management - but easier memory management doesn't mean that you don't have to plan your memory management what is a big misunderstanding of a lot of people that use such languages. Yes, of course, you don't have to explicit delete your objects, but of course you have to manually empty all references  that you don't need anymore because the garbage collector cannot know what you don't need in the future.
Of course in C++ you have to be more carefully when doing your memory management than on C#, Java, Python or something else, but modern C++ also has very good tools for most of the use cases to build good and reliable code.
For example some drawback of applications building based on .NET or Java is that they are slower if code is executed the first time (so the JIT-Compiler has to compile it), and that the garbage collector when activated needs ressources what can be a real problem on time sensitive applications. 

Also these systems are not usable for system applications for example kernels, drivers, libraries with direct hardware access and so on.
Most open source software, operating systems and similar is written in C or C++.

At the moment there is no really good alternative for C++, I think the only interesting language for this could be Rust at the moment.

I also think that it is not bad to use C++ for learning. To learn C++ is hard, of course - but with C++ you learn how to manage your memory and to work carefully because C++ revenges on errors that other "modern" languages will ignore.
But when learing programming with C++ it is really important to learn how to code object oriented - because C++ also allows other programming styles that at the first moment seam to be easier, but will lead to more complicated code.

Which language is the best depends on the task - there is no language that is the best for all problems.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 06:47:25 pm by Borter »

Offline Redfrigginriot

• Empress of Bees
  • Teens Only Member
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Just a naked nerd. Feel free to DM.
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2021, 03:48:11 am »
Reluctantly yes. I am very tired and can't remember if I've already commented on this before. I like making programs but I do not like programming. Nothing ever goes exactly how you think it will.
I cast destroy pants at third level.

Offline thelvx

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2021, 04:22:55 pm »
Bash isn’t bad to learn

Offline Borter

• Topless with bottoms
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2021, 09:57:52 pm »
Reluctantly yes. I am very tired and can't remember if I've already commented on this before. I like making programs but I do not like programming. Nothing ever goes exactly how you think it will.
Which language do you use? Or how do you create programs without programming? :-)

Surin Blastanos

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2021, 11:21:47 pm »
Which language do you use? Or how do you create programs without programming? :-)
You do what they did in The Three Body Problem. Take three soldiers, and have one of them facing the other two. Give each of them a black flag and a white flag, and tell the one on their own that if both of the others raise white flags, they should also raise a white flag. If either or both of the others raise a black flag, they should raise a black flag. In doing, you have created an AND gate. Do the same thing to create an OR gate and a NOT gate. Expand this, overlaying each "Gate" of people until you have an ALU. From there, you can build up a basic computer, and then code directly using people

Offline Redfrigginriot

• Empress of Bees
  • Teens Only Member
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2021, 06:33:09 pm »
You do what they did in The Three Body Problem. Take three soldiers, and have one of them facing the other two. Give each of them a black flag and a white flag, and tell the one on their own that if both of the others raise white flags, they should also raise a white flag. If either or both of the others raise a black flag, they should raise a black flag. In doing, you have created an AND gate. Do the same thing to create an OR gate and a NOT gate. Expand this, overlaying each "Gate" of people until you have an ALU. From there, you can build up a basic computer, and then code directly using people
Can we run Doom on people?

Surin Blastanos

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2021, 06:42:01 pm »
Damn I hope so. But can it run Crysis?

Offline Redfrigginriot

• Empress of Bees
  • Teens Only Member
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2021, 06:44:47 pm »
Damn I hope so. But can it run Crysis?
Anything can run Crysis.

Offline Gusse

• Topless with bottoms
  • Can you feel the spacetime distortion?
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2021, 08:32:36 pm »
Related on making a computer with people, vsauce has made it very succesfully in my opinion (Actually it is a brain made out of people, but I consider brain is counted as a computer)
"We are psychos."
"And I am history."

Surin Blastanos

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2021, 09:53:46 pm »
Related on making a computer with people, vsauce has made it very succesfully in my opinion (Actually it is a brain made out of people, but I consider brain is counted as a computer)

Oh awesome, I didn't know people had done it in real life, that's so cool

Offline Redfrigginriot

• Empress of Bees
  • Teens Only Member
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2021, 02:37:33 am »

Oh awesome, I didn't know people had done it in real life, that's so cool
I absolutely love Mind Field. That may be one of my favorite episodes. I hope we someday learn something valuable from the Stilwell brain. Perhaps one day we can get more subjects to create a more complex function.

A_Realbro

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2021, 08:00:07 pm »
I took programming last year in school and I was VERY bad at it 😂 I probably wont be doing that as a career!

Offline spongeman

• Nude without Towel
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2023, 05:18:34 am »
Well I'm a programmer, but I can't really agree with the whole working from home sentiment. Doing programming right needs a lot of concentration, setting the right mood etc. and I just can't do that if I'm sitting at the same desk where I played Factorio last night and am worrying about what else I need to clean up or improve in my home. And I definitely cannot do it on a tiny laptop screen while sitting in a noisy cafe LOL. Having an environment dedicated to the job helps a lot, and it could even be a separate room at home, but I'm not that rich yet  :laughing

Offline MenCyp

• Fully Dressed
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2023, 02:18:36 am »
I'm learning some...

Offline Fishandchips

• Guy Talk
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Nude when possible he/him
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2023, 02:24:41 am »
Well I'm a programmer, but I can't really agree with the whole working from home sentiment. Doing programming right needs a lot of concentration, setting the right mood etc. and I just can't do that if I'm sitting at the same desk where I played Factorio last night and am worrying about what else I need to clean up or improve in my home. And I definitely cannot do it on a tiny laptop screen while sitting in a noisy cafe LOL. Having an environment dedicated to the job helps a lot, and it could even be a separate room at home, but I'm not that rich yet  :laughing

Well I miss my work from home job, the working from home part not the actual job itself but you’re right you do need to ensure you have appropriate dedicated work space which can vary depending on what you’re doing. For me in customer service it was a desktop pic on the floor, two screens balanced on the tower unit and on a DVD rack positioned in front of an arm chair lol.