General Talk (primarily non-naturist) > Video Game Lounge

BioShock 2

(1/1)

Ace001:
It's time I give back to this wonderful place so I guess I'll review BioShock 2.

Let me say this is not anything like the first game in terms of story. Of course I won't ruin the storyline for you, but the story in the first one was much more complex, and the whole game centered on wonderful plot twists. Even though the story may not be as twisted and complex, the feeling you get from it is just as intense. In very few games do you feel the sense of purpose like you do in Bioshock 2. The entire time I played the game all I could think about was my end goal, and how I would go down, guns blazing, to complete it.

In Bioshock 2 you play as a Big Daddy, instead of a man who somehow survives a plane crash. This opens up a whole new world of game play. You know have the ability to use the standard Big Daddy drill, and you can protect your little sister in order to gain more ADAM, which is used to buy upgrades for your character. This opens up a lot of decisions as you now must learn how to protect your little one from the fiends that mean to tear her, and you apart. Let me tell you now, that they NEVER stop coming. In the end I was using all my ammunition, and became a master at setting up traps. You don't have to make your little sister harvest a body, but if you don't you'll lose out on precious ADAM, and with that the chance to buy new or improved abilities.

Now even though this game is a FPS, it feels almost like an RPG at times. You eventually build a character that has some type of specialty in dealing with the splicers. There are guns, plasmids, and your drill that can deliver a devastating blow. Plasmids are bought using ADAM, and the abilities range from being able to shoot fire from your hand, to telekinesis, to shooting a swarm of insects to attack your enemy. These combined with your guns and drill lead to lots of options to deal with the enemies. I myself was a fan of lighting my enemies on fire and as they freaked out, shooting them in the head L8789. Good times. Whatever your gameplay style, you will have to choose how your character will develop in order to survive. This was my favorite part of the game.

Graphic wise, the game is visually stunning. Being in the underwater city of Rapture is as beautiful as it is terrifying. Even though the city is littered with dead mutated bodies, and the there is constant darkness, you will not want to look away from the screen. The details are amazing, and if you happen to be near a window to the ocean you can marvel at the beautiful seabed and the unique life that lives outside the city walls. Every part of rapture feels alive, and that may be the scariest part.

The game also does a great job with atmosphere. I don't know if you like horror games, but be warned that the games is disturbing. There are mutated bodies everywhere, and the only thing you can really hear is your own footsteps. Then all of a sudden you'll here a jukebox playing some song from the 50's and a splicer will start running at you at a full sprint. All of this can become really trying on your nerves, even when you get used to the game's pace. No matter how much you play, you'll always get a little chill running down your spine.

The only downside I could find in the game were the lack of wanting to use the drill. No matter how strong the drill became it almost never seemed like the best weapon to use. It require you to be in close quarters and never really was effective enough to turn the tide of battle.

All in all, the game is great, and I would recommend it to anyone. It even has a multi-player mode so you and your friends can find out who is the baddest Big Daddy of them all.

Grpahics: 10/10
Sound 9/10
Gameplay 9/10
Overall 9/10

Ace001:
Sunlover,

I couldn't agree with you more on the DRM crap. I don't understand why companies keep doing that. It makes no sense for me to have to deal with the DRM issues when I ALREADY paid full price for my game. You have also reminded me that I should review deadspace!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version