Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Popular Sydney nudist beach raided  (Read 3228 times)

Offline MarkH

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 0
Popular Sydney nudist beach raided
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:21:25 am »
Popular Sydney Nudist Beach Raided

Popular Sydney nudist beach raided February 22, 2010 - 6:12AM .

A popular beach for nudists has been raided by police following community concerns over illegal behaviour.

Families with small children were among the 140 people sunbathing on Little Congwong Beach at La Perouse, in Sydney’s south, when police and National Parks and Wildlife officers arrived about 12.30pm yesterday.

About 80 people were completely naked but the children present were fully clothed.

The officers attended the beach, which is not a designated nude sunbathing area, following complaints from the community.

Little Congwong Beach is within viewing distance from Bare Island - a popular destination for tourists and locals.

Police informed nude sunbathers of their illegal behaviour, prompting them to get dressed and leave the area.

Officers returned at 4pm, which prompted more nude sunbathers to vacate the beach.

Police said legal nude bathing beaches located in the Sydney metropolitan region included Lady Bay Beach at Watsons Bay and Cobblers and Obelisk Beach at Middle Head.
Mark

Study nature; love nature; stay close to nature. It will never fail you. -Frank Lloyd Wright

Nude_not_rude

Re: Popular Sydney nudist beach raided
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:56:49 pm »
Some people will not learn that laws are laws, however frustrating they are. More frustrating is the fact that the Free Beach Association still list this as a c/o beach...talk about mis-information from a national body.

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:23:00 pm »
Peter, my husband, and I  went for brunch with friends at Cronulla on Sunday and on the way back decided we would check out the status of Little Congwong.  We got there just after noon and just ahead of the police - We still had our street clothes on when they arrived.  They were entirely polite and it was obvious their hearts weren't in what they were doing.

It was a great bit of doing what was expected and then leaving - we had gone by 4pm when apparently they returned.

I don't understand the position of the Local Council when the beach has been used by nudists for the past 50 or more years, unless there is a homophobe driving the issue as the beach is very gay and it is Mardi Gras in Sydney.
I may be nude but at least my mind is open

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 11:59:40 am »
Yeah there is one councillor who has a bee in his bonnet about the beach. One bad apple in every bunch....

randomer909

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:11:03 pm »
They were technically in the wrong here with the law, and there are other nude beaches in Sydney. It is some sort of attraction to this particular beach over the other N beaches?

Offline Leah

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Teach Tolerance
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:18:42 pm »
The attraction of this beach is it is realatively easy to get to if you live in the southern part of the city - good public transport and an easy walk without having to climb down a cliff.  It is also on a dead end so there are no day trippers wandering through like you get at Laby Bay.

The report stated 80 people were warned - I doubt there were that many naked people on the beach by the time the police got a chance to count. As soon as the uniforms arrived people were dressing.

I think the numbers were sufficient though that if 50+ people had been hauled in front of a magistrate the law would have been shown to be the ass it is and the issue resolved.  But as it is we will go through round after round of posturing.

Teach Tolerance
I may be nude but at least my mind is open

johndowe3333

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 01:58:49 am »
not everone who go to a nudist beach is a gay predator