Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Solomon Kane  (Read 907 times)

Offline Turtlejosh

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 5
Solomon Kane
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:06:01 pm »
Well I thought I should tell people about this, as I haven't seen many adverts or anything about it, so here goes:

Synopsis:The movie tells the origins of Solomon Kane (James Purefoy) and is hoped to be the first of a trilogy of movies. When the story opens Kane is a mercenary of Queen Elizabeth I fighting in Africa, but after an encounter with a demon, The Devil's Reaper, he realizes he must seek redemption or have his soul damned to Hell. He returns to England and lives a life of peace, converting to puritanism, but soon the doings of an evil sorcerer upset his plans and he must take up arms again.

Review: When I went to see this film, I knew next to nothing about it. No reviews were out (in English anyways) and I only found a short trailer for it. But once I sat down and actually watched it, my uncertainty went away. This film was very good, a different take to the other sword and sorcery film out at the same time (Percy Jackson...yeah don't expect me to review that ;) ) and certainly a far grittier looking film. For those who know, I play Warhammer, so this film was completely in my good books. The story was rather good, but could have been stronger as a origin film. Still there were aspects which were really cool to see. The action in the film was brilliant; brutal and bloody. The locations were really very well found, it did feel like it was Elizabethen England during a time of darkness. But the real gem of this was Purefoy's portrayal of Kane. He gives the role extra intrigue, making you really want to know what else this cut throat had done throughout his life. However, the dialogue was a bit off, and the ending was a bit naff, it just seemed too generic.

Score: Well I have to give this 4 stars for any person who like classic sword and sorcery movies. However, if that's not your thing, it has to be a 3 star. It has great action and a brilliant Lead, but some of the script is lacking and the ending could have been better. 

And forgot to say, Kane looks bad ass ;)