Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Sport Climbing  (Read 7600 times)

Surin Blastanos

Sport Climbing
« on: January 20, 2021, 09:07:16 pm »
So I do(or used to, in the before times) wall climbing, and have done for about a decade. It's amazing fun, and a great full body workout. I realised recently that I hadn't been able to do any lead climbing in the past 10 months, and I miss it. Is anyone else here a climber?

Offline climbing

• Casually Dressed
  • AANR lifetime member; get outside naked
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Sport Climbing
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 10:44:50 pm »
Hi! I used to boulder quite a bit, but I think my fitness is way worse now than it was when I could get to a gym often. I used to boulder V4-5ish outdoor, V6-7 indoor depending on the gym... never really got into sport but toprope was always fun in the gym. Such a great workout and fun a activity with or without friends... and the climbing community is unbelievably supportive and accepting.

Here's my gumby ass punting off like a V2 a loooong time ago lol
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:52:21 pm by climbing »

Surin Blastanos

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 11:17:16 pm »
Awesome, outdoor bouldering seems like brilliant fun. I agree, the climbing commnity is brilliant.  I'm yet to climb outdoors properly, but I'm around V4-V5 as well in bouldering, 6b+-6c+ in lead. I doubt I'll be anywhere near that after lockdown though. I'm trying to keep up fitness using Metolius Rock Rings for pullups and deadhangs, they're great

Offline climbing

• Casually Dressed
  • AANR lifetime member; get outside naked
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 11:31:40 pm »
Oh yeah, it takes frequent practice to maintain that level of climbing. Rock rings are super helpful - I've been doing some (not nearly as much as I should) weighted pullups and hangs on my Rock Rings and Tension Flash Board just to keep some strength. Motivation to train with covid has been low, and my diet hasn't been what it used to be either  :confused

Can't wait to get back into a gym on a regular basis since my closest boulder field is about an hour and a half drive away. Definitely get outdoors if you can! Much like nudity, climbing outdoors on a nice day > climbing indoors

Surin Blastanos

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 11:52:45 pm »
Oh yeah, it takes frequent practice to maintain that level of climbing. Rock rings are super helpful - I've been doing some (not nearly as much as I should) weighted pullups and hangs on my Rock Rings and Tension Flash Board just to keep some strength. Motivation to train with covid has been low, and my diet hasn't been what it used to be either  :confused

Can't wait to get back into a gym on a regular basis since my closest boulder field is about an hour and a half drive away. Definitely get outdoors if you can! Much like nudity, climbing outdoors on a nice day > climbing indoors
Yeah, the main problem with outdoors for me is that Northern Ireland doesn't have many outdoor centres, and my climbing squad only ran outings to them once a year. Hopefully now that I'm at uni the mountaineering club will run some events after covid. Every time I started getting into a habit of going to the gym, either I had to stop for work or uni, or they shut them down for lockdown, it's getting a bit annoying. As you say, it's hard to find motivation at home

Offline Fishandchips

• Guy Talk
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Nude when possible he/him
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 05:32:48 am »
Nice pic @climbing

Unfortunately I’ve always been rubbish at any sport, climbing no exception even as a kid. Everyone else would decide to play around climbing trees and I’d be left on the ground not even making the first damn branch. Been shit scared never helped and always been dodgy up ladders. I could manage ladders on a climbing frame in the park though which is weird.

Surin Blastanos

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 10:50:44 am »
Nice pic @climbing

Unfortunately I’ve always been rubbish at any sport, climbing no exception even as a kid. Everyone else would decide to play around climbing trees and I’d be left on the ground not even making the first damn branch. Been shit scared never helped and always been dodgy up ladders. I could manage ladders on a climbing frame in the park though which is weird.
I'm rubbish at most other sports, I wouldn't worry about it. And yeah, climbing can be pretty scary, for lead climbing, we had to get forms signed accepting a higher risk of death than normal climbing. We've had a number of climbers in courses who do not like heights, so they just climbed the lower half of the wall.

Offline Snouwu

• Topless with bottoms
  • Nude rn
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 04:42:55 pm »
I have done rock climbing before and it was fun but never got the chance to do it again

Offline blank radar

• Teens Only Member
  • Naturist Superhero
  • he/him
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 04:57:31 pm »
i tried rock climbing at least two times, chickened out both times at a pretty low altitude, and gave up

A_Realbro

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 10:52:18 pm »
Yep! I love climbing walls and ive been unable to do climbing due to the pandemic. Its my favorite sport

Offline Fishandchips

• Guy Talk
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 11:16:23 pm »
I love climbing walls and ive been unable to do climbing due to the pandemic.

Are you sure?

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/climb-the-wall

A_Realbro

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 09:08:06 am »

Offline Fishandchips

• Guy Talk
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 06:12:17 pm »
I love climbing walls and ive been unable to do climbing due to the pandemic.
What? Im so confused

Are you sure?

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/climb-the-wall

Climbing the walls is an English expression emphasising frustration. You said you love climbing walls and that you’ve been unable to since the pandemic. I asked if you’re sure referring to the expression of feeling frustrated through the pandemic rather than the actual climbing hobby. Just a dumb attempt at humour that’s best ignored.

Offline hooflag

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2021, 07:46:12 pm »
Best sport !
Sensation, strenght, patience...

Go to the alpes de hautes provences region in france to enjoy great spots !

ginkgob

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 08:32:09 pm »
I've never tried climbing but it looks like good fun! If a little scary in a way. Bet it's great for fitness.