Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What do the squares mean?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline swede

• Guy Talk
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 14
    • My website
What do the squares mean?
« on: May 15, 2021, 05:04:42 pm »
In the gallery, when someone comments. Under their profile they have a few squares that can be of different color. What do they mean?

Also, some peoples name/profile link appears red while other are black. What does that mean? (if anything)

Best regards!

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
Re: What do the squares mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 07:03:28 pm »
You seem to be spending quite a lot of time in the gallery if you have noticed it on gallery comments when every single post on the forum has the same markings.

The colors and number of the squares, as well as the color of the name, are tied to user group. Guy Talk and Teens Only are blue, Girl Talk is red, staff is green.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline Interested Nudist

• Teens Only Member
  • Shouting it out loud
  • This is America. You can always cut a deal.
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 08:43:35 pm »
You seem to be spending quite a lot of time in the gallery if you have noticed it on gallery comments when every single post on the forum has the same markings.

The colors and number of the squares, as well as the color of the name, are tied to user group. Guy Talk and Teens Only are blue, Girl Talk is red, staff is green.

To be fair, he has spent a lot of time on the forum as well, so I would assume that means spending a proportional amount of time in the gallery to figure that out.
"It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 09:46:41 pm »

To be fair, he has spent a lot of time on the forum as well, so I would assume that means spending a proportional amount of time in the gallery to figure that out.
I was just curious because I would assume you would see that sort of stuff on the forum before seeing it in the gallery. Then again, I checked it in lower resolution, and if you view the forum on mobile, the stars do not show up.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

Offline swede

• Guy Talk
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 14
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 12:03:38 pm »
You seem to be spending quite a lot of time in the gallery

Well that's very rude of you. To just assume shit and try to make me look bad.

And no, I'm very seldomly in the gallery, perhaps maybe once a month to see if anythung new and interesting has been posted.

I don't see those squares anywhere else apart from the gallery. I do however see the different colored profile links in other places. I'm mostly on mobile so perhaps that's why.

Thats quite a odd thing, the squares. Is it intentional or just something that comes with the forum software.

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 12:28:50 pm »
I am sorry, it was not my intent to portray you as someone here for the pictures, especially considering you are quite the active talker. I was merely curious how you never noticed it in the forum when it appears in exactly the same place, but it turns out that the gallery, being an extension to the forum software rather than a built-in component, does not reformat content for mobile devices in the same way the topic view does.

Intentional/odd in what way? Having things like stars under the name for different user groups is not terribly uncommon in forum software, and those squares are the way the theme we use (which is based on SMF 2.0's default "Curve" theme) displays them. We did repurpose them a little, in most forums the non-yellow stars are all reserved for various moderator roles, but we only use one color for all staff to avoid giving the impression of a strict hierarchy, which freed two of the colors up for groups with special access.

Offline Redfrigginriot

• Empress of Bees
  • Teens Only Member
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Just a naked nerd. Feel free to DM.
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 01:41:58 pm »
I am sorry, it was not my intent to portray you as someone here for the pictures, especially considering you are quite the active talker. I was merely curious how you never noticed it in the forum when it appears in exactly the same place, but it turns out that the gallery, being an extension to the forum software rather than a built-in component, does not reformat content for mobile devices in the same way the topic view does.

Intentional/odd in what way? Having things like stars under the name for different user groups is not terribly uncommon in forum software, and those squares are the way the theme we use (which is based on SMF 2.0's default "Curve" theme) displays them. We did repurpose them a little, in most forums the non-yellow stars are all reserved for various moderator roles, but we only use one color for all staff to avoid giving the impression of a strict hierarchy, which freed two of the colors up for groups with special access.
The squares don't appear on mobile outside of the gallery.
I cast destroy pants at third level.

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 05:10:58 pm »
Yeah... I noticed by now. I said so twice now.