Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Sewing and/or embroidery  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Hrafn

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
Sewing and/or embroidery
« on: June 06, 2021, 11:09:06 am »
Is anyone else here into sewing/embroidery? I've sewn a few historical garments for re-enactment and just got into embroidery, here are my most recent achievements:

Edit for context- first picture are tekunpe, a sort of hand-warmer used by the Ainu, and the second is something I started by tracing a picture from my computer onto fabric :')
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 11:10:38 am by Hrafn »

Offline Longingtobenude

• Shouting it out loud
  • Hello:)
Re: Sewing and/or embroidery
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 01:00:20 pm »
I end up sewing a lot, but its usually some caveman level stitching with an awl. 

Offline Fishandchips

• Guy Talk
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Nude when possible he/him
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 01:37:58 pm »
It’s not something I’m into myself but I like the end result of other people’s work. Yours looks good, keep sharing 👍

Offline swede

• Guy Talk
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Referrals: 14
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 01:45:04 pm »
I've done some embroidery for fun. It's quite nice and always cool when you reach the end result

Offline Northman

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 04:32:13 pm »
I end up sewing a lot, but its usually some caveman level stitching with an awl.

Sounds a bit like leatherworks  :thinking:

... is it?

Offline Longingtobenude

• Shouting it out loud
  • Hello:)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 09:16:53 pm »

Sounds a bit like leatherworks  :thinking:

... is it?
No, that is what an awl is mostly used for.  But I've put a denim sewing machine needle in mine and I use nylon thread to fix stuff like, shoes that are falling apart, modifying stuff like holsters, back packs, adding staps to things, and just touching up my clothes, as needed, fixing pockets, etc.  I used it to "embroider" my phone number into my dogs collar. 

I used to hand sew a bunch, and when whatever I was working on got too tough to push the needle through, I'd chuck it in some vice grips.  So I'd be pushing this through with vice grips, opening them and re-closing them every new stitch.  The awl is a fairly recent upgrade for me lol

Offline Northman

• Naturist Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 01:41:52 pm »

Offline Hrafn

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 06:10:18 am »
I've done some embroidery for fun. It's quite nice and always cool when you reach the end result

So I'm not the only one that enjoys embroidering...? :D

No, that is what an awl is mostly used for.  But I've put a denim sewing machine needle in mine and I use nylon thread to fix stuff like, shoes that are falling apart, modifying stuff like holsters, back packs, adding staps to things, and just touching up my clothes, as needed, fixing pockets, etc.  I used it to "embroider" my phone number into my dogs collar. 

I used to hand sew a bunch, and when whatever I was working on got too tough to push the needle through, I'd chuck it in some vice grips.  So I'd be pushing this through with vice grips, opening them and re-closing them every new stitch.  The awl is a fairly recent upgrade for me lol

I've been using pliers for sewing through leather, and just whenever it's too hard to get the needle through fabric. Sewing is an underrated skill

Offline AnotherNudist

• Nude with Towel
  • Looking to make friends
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 12:43:21 pm »
I'm currently teaching myself how to sew, so I can have some fun drag outfits

Offline NudeBoldo

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 06:55:00 am »
I love to sew (even more so since I got a computerized sewing machine)!
I usually sew shirts for myself (not T-shirts, more like business shirts) or dresses for my niece who is four. It's so much fun to use unicorn cloth and lace - which I never use for myself (well...except for the unicorn cloth that changes colour in the sun...).
It's all self-taught, and every other project I'm trying something new to learn something new.
My grand project will be a suit for myself for graduation day next year.
I've also done a Rockabilly dress for my sister.

It's easy to find normal business shirts in my size, but if you want to have something different, it's impossible; that's where it comes in very handy.
It all started a few years back with knitting, as there weren't nice, fitting hats for my large skull.
I'll try to attach a photo one of my favourite self-made shirts. It's very lemony  :laughcrying:

Offline Fishandchips

• Guy Talk
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 08:12:36 pm »
I love to sew (even more so since I got a computerized sewing machine)!
I usually sew shirts for myself (not T-shirts, more like business shirts) or dresses for my niece who is four. It's so much fun to use unicorn cloth and lace - which I never use for myself (well...except for the unicorn cloth that changes colour in the sun...).
It's all self-taught, and every other project I'm trying something new to learn something new.
My grand project will be a suit for myself for graduation day next year.
I've also done a Rockabilly dress for my sister.

It's easy to find normal business shirts in my size, but if you want to have something different, it's impossible; that's where it comes in very handy.
It all started a few years back with knitting, as there weren't nice, fitting hats for my large skull.
I'll try to attach a photo one of my favourite self-made shirts. It's very lemony  :laughcrying:

Nice, I’ve never known anyone who makes their own clothes. They’ll always be unique to you and your niece… until she gets older and started wanting designer brands to “fit in”

Offline Hrafn

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 05:49:27 am »
Nice, I’ve never known anyone who makes their own clothes. They’ll always be unique to you and your niece… until she gets older and started wanting designer brands to “fit in”

You just about have to make your own historical clothes for medieval re-enacting! I'm making a Viking age Swedish coat at the moment. I've long given up on fitting in, sometimes I wear my historical clothes when I go places

Offline Fishandchips

• Guy Talk
  • Broke the fourth wall
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 01:48:27 pm »

You just about have to make your own historical clothes for medieval re-enacting! I'm making a Viking age Swedish coat at the moment. I've long given up on fitting in, sometimes I wear my historical clothes when I go places

I suppose that is a point if you do period dress. Used to love Victorian, Edwardian and 1940s events at railways and museums. Didn’t dress up myself though.