Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Conlang  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Hrafn

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
Conlang
« on: November 27, 2021, 05:27:35 am »
Anyone else here into conlangs? I'm working on some with my gf for her writing, and have attempted a few of my own but they usually get forgotten about and deleted. I sometimes look at old projects and realise things I could have done better and can never be bothered reworking them to be more naturalistic and generally better, so I just start another and the cycle repeats

Offline JohnNotJack

• Topless with bottoms
  • Not to be confused with Jack Daniel's
Re: Conlang
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 03:49:49 pm »
I'll be honest, had to google what a Conlang is, but damn that looks interesting. It's a concept I've been interested in as a result of the Klingon language from Star Trek but I didn't know there's a term for it. If I actually had some time, and a bit of motivation, I'd definitely be encouraged to at least try to develop a conlang.

Developed any decent names for your Conlangs?
:)

Offline Dogoegma

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 08:57:52 pm »
Anyone else here into conlangs? I'm working on some with my gf for her writing, and have attempted a few of my own but they usually get forgotten about and deleted. I sometimes look at old projects and realise things I could have done better and can never be bothered reworking them to be more naturalistic and generally better, so I just start another and the cycle repeats

When I was in primary and secondary school I would do things like that. Though, I would more classify that as cyphers with special pronounciation.

Offline Hrafn

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 09:35:52 pm »
Developed any decent names for your Conlangs?

When I was about 12 I remember I tried to learn all of the invented words and phrases in the Eragon books.
The ones I'm working on with my partner had names before I started re-writing them from the ground up, but no actual names for mine yet. I called one of mine 'ugly conlang' as the document title c:

When I was in primary and secondary school I would do things like that. Though, I would more classify that as cyphers with special pronounciation.

I remember doing one of those in high school. Didn't take it very far though lol

Offline Octavia

• Teens Only Member
  • Shouting it out loud
  • She/Her
  • Referrals: 3
    • Revolutionary Nudism
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 10:23:58 pm »
Conlangs are super interesting but seem like a massive pain to do especially alone. I have a friend who's occasionally tried to make one but it doesn't seem to get very far. I wouldn't even know where to start

Offline Infinity Biscuit

• Female Chat
  • Shouting it out loud
  • she/her
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 12:41:03 am »
I used to be really into like how the elvish languages tolkien developed worked as a kid but kinda fell off them

since then most what I know is my linguist friends groaning at how terrible 99% of fictional ones are

Offline Hrafn

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 01:44:35 am »
Conlangs are super interesting but seem like a massive pain to do especially alone. I have a friend who's occasionally tried to make one but it doesn't seem to get very far. I wouldn't even know where to start

Yeah I'm making way more progress on the ones I'm working on for the gf. She doesn't know much about language, other than from my ramblings, but it's easier to keep on track with other people. I usually start with sounds

I used to be really into like how the elvish languages tolkien developed worked as a kid but kinda fell off them

since then most what I know is my linguist friends groaning at how terrible 99% of fictional ones are

Yeah, that sounds about right lol. A lot of them do seem like English but different words, or just people deciding x sentence means y thing

Offline Octavia

• Teens Only Member
  • Shouting it out loud
  • She/Her
  • Referrals: 3
    • Revolutionary Nudism
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 05:41:11 am »
The youtuber Jan Misali has a series on their channel called "Conlang Critic" that might be of interest to people into conlangs. The series goes over various conlangs and evaluates them based on how original, usable, and interesting they are. A lot of it goes over my head but it's quite interesting.

Offline eagleday

• Nude without Towel
  • Nothing else but my skin
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 04:05:53 pm »

Being a Tolkien fan, I did download Tengwar fonts, but still can't remember every single letter's sound correctly.
“Everybody thinks they want freedom, but what they really want is order.” (Valin Hess)

Offline thelvx

• Nude with Towel
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 05:28:29 pm »
Conlangs are fun. I’ve had interest in spelling reform lately.