Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Full exposure of their … principles (Portand, Maine, USA) - Topfree March  (Read 7806 times)

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
It's going to be a busy week for Portland Police Chief James Craig.

On Thursday, President Obama comes to town – and with him the inevitable jawing match between those who think he's a modern-day messiah and those who think he's a radical Muslim with a fake birth certificate.

But if you want to witness a real challenge in crowd control, take a peek at what Craig and his department will face Saturday afternoon in the heart of downtown Portland.

It's called "Portland's First Ever Female-Bodied and Allied Topless Adventure." Put more simply, an expected 30 or more women, along with "allied" male sympathizers, plan to walk from Longfellow Square down Congress Street to Tommy's Park at the top of the Old Port with nothing on from the waist up.

Reaching to dial 911?

Don't bother. It's all perfectly legal.

"There's no law against it," Craig said upon hearing about the event for the first time Friday.

Still, he couldn't help but ask, "What's this about?"

It's simple, explained organizer Ty MacDowell, 20, of Westbrook, in an interview Friday.

On a personal level, MacDowell likes to swim during the summer at East End Beach and has always yearned to do so topless. Beyond that, she and her fellow adventurers want to expose what they see as a glaring double standard.

"You see a man walking down the street (with no shirt on), and it's just accepted – that's part of society," MacDowell said. "It's not the same for us – and it should be."

McDowell stressed that Saturday's stroll is not intended to be a full-blown protest (too confrontational) or political demonstration (too organized). In fact, no advance publicity whatsoever was planned before a Facebook posting about the walk found its way into the latest issue of Portland's bi-monthly West End News.

("Full topless nudity is strongly encouraged," the posting advised. "But for the more modest, pretty electrical tape will be in supply.")

"It's not a march," MacDowell said. "We're just going to take a casual stroll down Congress Street and see what happens."

Probably not much, at least from a legal standpoint.

Calls last week to Portland City Hall and the Cumberland County District Attorney's office confirmed that while it is illegal for men and women to expose their genitals in public, local and state laws contain no such prohibition on uncovered breasts – male or female. (Although, considering some of the men who insist on parading around topless, one could argue that there should be.)

Maine, in fact, is one of a handful of "top-free" states that have no laws banning breast exposure, according to the national organization gotopless.org. The group lists the others as Hawaii, New York, Ohio, Texas and the "coast of California."

Nadine Gary, 45, of San Diego, a real estate manager with a heavy French accent who helped found gotopless.org in 2007, said last week that she had not heard of the Portland event.

"But I'm happy you're telling me about it!" she added cheerfully.

Gary said her organization, which plans to hold National Go Topless Day on Aug. 22, already is well aware of last year's flap over the Grand View Topless Coffee Shop in Vassalboro, not to mention the ruckus 12 years ago over the young woman in Newport who insisted on letting it all hang out whenever she mowed her lawn. (A subsequent effort to pass a local ordinance forcing her to cover up was soundly defeated.)

"It's comfort. It's fun. It's freedom," Gary replied when asked why going topless is so important. "It doesn't mean that at every single moment, I'm going to take off my shirt. But sometimes it's hot and you can take off your shirt. Why can't I have that option?"

For the record, it should be noted that gotopless.org is a spin-off of the Raelian Movement, which holds that we were all created by little human-like creatures from outer space who plan on returning in 2035. No word yet on what they will – or won't – be wearing.

But we digress.

Here in Maine, organizer MacDowell conceded that April might be a tad early for Portland's First Ever Female-Bodied and Allied Topless Adventure. But it won't be the last such event, she promised, and she fully expects the turnouts to go up with the temperatures.

MacDowell also understands that not everyone will be thrilled with Saturday's spectacle.

"I want the event to be social and casual," she said. "I don't want it to be, like, aggressive – unless it has to be."

Translation: Lay a hand on anyone walking topless, MacDowell promised, "and you'll get punched in the face."

Which brings us back to Chief Craig.

"I think the only thing we can do is monitor it to make sure that one, they're not interfered with and two, they don't create a public disruption," Craig said. "It certainly will be something that will cause a reaction of some sort."

Still, we can all rest assured that Portland's finest will have the situation, shall we say, covered.

Mused Craig, "I'm wondering how many officers are going to volunteer for this detail."

Columnist Bill Nemitz can be contacted at 791-6323 or at:

bnemitz@mainetoday.com

from:http://www.pressherald.com/news/full-exposure-of-their-___-principles_2010-03-28.html
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

genxnaturist

Great Story.
I hope to hear about follow up to see how it went.

Michael

rc

that is great hopefully they will show on nudism is just simply and nothing too it

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
  • Referrals: 0
Great Story.
I hope to hear about follow up to see how it went.

Michael

Same here.

Joey

Offline mike345

• Guy Talk
  • Nude with Towel
That's good. There was something similar in NYC, I believe.

I don't get the double standard with male toplessness/female toplessness. I mean, men and women both have nipples! Men and women even both have varying sizes of breasts, so it makes no sense whatsoever. I say, let 'em free!

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
Here's a video of the event.

Offline King Pizza

• I'm too blessed to be dressed ><N>
  • Shouting it out loud
  • unstressed = undressed; no curse means no clothes
  • Referrals: 7
    • My Linktree
I completely agree with what these women did and believe that if more women did this on a regular basis, the news and fear over the event would die down and people would be perceived as people.   
John 8:32 Truth=freedom
><> (Christianity) + Naturism = ><N> Christian Naturist
"We must pray for the courage to endure the scorn of the sophisticated world"- Justice A. Scalia
Once we existed in colonies; now, we are free. ><N>
Proud to be an American Conservative Nudist

Offline mike345

• Guy Talk
  • Nude with Towel
Here's a video of the event.

Hmm. Well, that's not really what I expected. I agree with the message but the method seemed a bit over the top to me. There were some interesting characters and I don't know if promoting drug use will help the cause.

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
Hmm. Well, that's not really what I expected. I agree with the message but the method seemed a bit over the top to me. There were some interesting characters and I don't know if promoting drug use will help the cause.

Who was promoting drug use?

Nude_not_rude

Who was promoting drug use?

if you look closely you will briefly see someone holding up a sign saying "Bong hitz 4Jesus"... I guess it's that one.  :345 It is a very diverse crowd, unfortunately it appears only a small portion were there to make the original point.

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
if you look closely you will briefly see someone holding up a sign saying "Bong hitz 4Jesus"... I guess it's that one.  :345 It is a very diverse crowd, unfortunately it appears only a small portion were there to make the original point.

That may not even be promoting drug use.  That's a reference to a recent supreme court case where some HS student was prosecuted for carrying such a sign.  Several years later he was cleared of any changes because of his right of free speech.  They could have been just referencing that case, even if they don't believe in drug use.

Offline King Pizza

• I'm too blessed to be dressed ><N>
  • Shouting it out loud
  • unstressed = undressed; no curse means no clothes
  • Referrals: 7
    • My Linktree
Since this is primarily a board not about politics, in the Bong Hits 4 Jesus case, (Morse v. Frederick) the Supreme Court held that the restrictions and subsequent suspension were ok. For more information, pm me or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_v._Frederick 
John 8:32 Truth=freedom
><> (Christianity) + Naturism = ><N> Christian Naturist
"We must pray for the courage to endure the scorn of the sophisticated world"- Justice A. Scalia
Once we existed in colonies; now, we are free. ><N>
Proud to be an American Conservative Nudist

Offline mrj001

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 1
I don't think that "bong hits for jesus" means anything any more.  Every protest or demonstration, you see some dope smokin' hippie with that sign.

That being said, I hope there are alot more of these events held and eventually we can be done with this ridiculous double standard.  It really should be the same, if it is acceptable for a man to be shirtless than why not a woman?

Offline lord_george

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
I agree with the text at the end of the video. It looks like it turned from a march for a cause (topfree equality) to a pretty girls topless photo shoot. I'm not sure this will have fulfilled its purpose.

Offline Cabding

• Lord-Master of Vita Nuda Southeast
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Livin' la Vita Nuda!
  • Referrals: 9
    • Vita Nuda Southeast
too bad it kinda degraded into a photoshoot but the message up until then was pretty rad. who can hate breasts? they're amazing. they're beautiful.
Trying to unite the lost naked souls of the Southeast US. Message our Facebook page or PM me to get involved!