Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Angels & Demons - 2009  (Read 3164 times)

innersouth2020

Angels & Demons - 2009
« on: May 14, 2009, 04:21:14 pm »
Starring: Tom Hanks & Ewin McGregor

Genre:
Drama/Crime/Thriller/Mystery

Summary: Tom Hanks reprises his role as Harvard Professor Robert Langdon invited to the Vatican City in the follow up from the DaVinci Code based on Dan Brown's novels.

Based on his extensive knowledge of religious history and symbology, Langdon is caught up in trying to solve the mystery of whether the secret brotherhood known as the Illumanti (thought to have been eradicated hundreds of years ago).

A Hassassin threatens to blow up Vatican City at midnight using a technology developed by CERN called antimatter, and has kidnapped 4 cardinals who he plans to execute for the world to see at each hour leading to the midnight. This would see the ultimate revenge by the Illumanti on the Catholic Church.

Langdon must unravel the ancient trail across Rome to find the Church of Illumanatus, prevent the cardinals from being murdered, and to bring a stop to the detonation of the bomb. But who is the mastermind behind the threats, what is the Swiss Guards involvement and who wants to see an end to the Catholic Church.

My Review: For those of you who have read the book, from the start you will notice many variances which continue right through the film as adapted for the silver screen. Whilst many key moments of the book are not reflected in the movie, it acts more as a summary of the general plot and I possibly felt I got more out of the movie having previously read the book.

That said, the film was well presented and the action moved fairly quickly throughout with some great special effects given only three weeks of filming was actually done in Rome and the rest of the movie completed on sets and green screens in California. The interiors of the chapels and locations throughout Rome and the Vatican City were recreated on sets as the Catholic Church found the DaVinci Code so offensive they did not allow filming within their buildings.

Certain characters roles in the movie were changed also and you will distinctly notice the irish and not italiano accent on the Carmelengo played by Ewan McGregor.

In all, the film still did manage to entertain and I don't think you will be disappointed if you do see this, however it is recommended you read the book to make more sense of some of the sequences.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:12:05 pm by innersouth2020 »

Offline vanesa1017

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Angels & Demons - 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 10:05:34 pm »
I am VERY excited for this movie!

Offline joeyn

• Umm...
  • N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Me
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 10:42:49 pm »
I am VERY excited for this movie!

Me too! I want to see it this weekend, but still haven't seen Star Trek.

Maybe a double feature?
:)

Offline vanesa1017

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:13:22 pm »
Saw it this weekend and thought it was ok.  Not as good as I had hoped but still better than DaVinci Code so that made me happy. 

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
  • Referrals: 14
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 10:58:22 pm »
Don't waste your money, seriously watch something else. The differences from the book were numerous and very confusing, and made the whole film feel disjointed and strange. It also didn't work as a film adaptation - It seemed way more unrealistic than it was put across in the book, and it dragged on between the action sequences.

Just my two cents... :P
On an extended IYNO break... for now.

Offline Oboe

• Topless with bottoms
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 03:53:44 am »
I saw this last night, I quite enjoyed it actually. Very good storyline and great visually. It was better then Da Vinci Code.

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:44:30 pm »
Watched it for the second time in the cinema today. It gets better every time you watch it. I think it helped that I slept through the middle 45 minutes though ^^

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 03:51:39 pm »
Hey just saw it tonight and thought it was really good. High action and brilliant music and effects made for a good movie. It was a little put off though by the assassin's accent swaying between american and european in his one speaking scene, very strange. I didn't mind Ewan McGregor's Scottish accent at all as we all know the Cardinal's and so on are from all around the world. You don't have to be Italian to be at the Vatican, yes there is even an Aussie Cardinal (George Pell) too.

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 06:34:53 pm »
I didn't mind Ewan McGregor's Scottish accent at all as we all know the Cardinal's and so on are from all around the world.

It's supposed to be Irish... Looks like they failed spectacularly there ^^

Nude_not_rude

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 01:33:12 am »
I didn't mind Ewan McGregor's Scottish accent at all as we all know the Cardinal's and so on are from all around the world.

To be honest, I can't remember if it was Irish or Scottish, but I just guessed it was supposed to be Scottish as he is a Scotsman. Looks like a spectacular fail for me. :786
You've probably guessed I haven't read the book.  :65

Offline Alex

• N Forum Veteran
  • Shouting it out loud
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 06:56:08 am »

To be honest, I can't remember if it was Irish or Scottish, but I just guessed it was supposed to be Scottish as he is a Scotsman. Looks like a spectacular fail for me. :786
You've probably guessed I haven't read the book.  :65

I wouldn't blame you even if you had. In the book, they're almost exclusively Italian xD

Offline Baseballfan

• Nude with Towel
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 11:10:15 am »
Better than the Divinci code. The story made more sense. weird ending. At the end of the DVD they have a cool extra on how they made the movie. awesome set!