Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Youth Olympic Games  (Read 1143 times)

nudist18

Youth Olympic Games
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:55:30 pm »
So this summer, Singapore will be hosting the first ever Youth Olympic Summer Games. These games will be for 14-18 year olds who essentially have the Olympic spirit, and tons of athletic ability. These games will give them all a chance to realize their Olympic dream, and can even prepare them for the Olympic Games in the long run. The first Winter Youth Olympics will be in Innsbruck in 2012. Right now it seems as if nobody can get excited for the games. I really support this movement by the International Olympic Committee and I really do hope it catches on. I want to know what you all think of this idea. Is it a crazy idea, wasting resources and time on what may be an event that doesn't grow? Or do you really think it can catch on, give kids a chance to dream even earlier in life, and give them a chance to do sports competitively while preparing for the Olympics? I look forward to some feedback on this topic. For more info the site will have a link here.
http://assets.olympic.org/YOG/en/index.html#/side06

Offline Danee

• Read-Only
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • Referrals: 135
Re: Youth Olympic Games
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:39:51 pm »
Personally speaking, any youth program involving athletics at a higher level, that coaches and trains kids is going to get my full support.  I do envision that kids who might not be able to make their official Olympic team, might have more opportunity to succeed with that goal, and at the very least, have experienced the Olympic spirit, even if they are not at the level of their older counterparts -- or more skilled. 

-Danee
Top-free Equality. Its a right, not a privilege!
http://www.freethenipple.com/

Offline brandon

• N Forum Veteran
  • Naturist Superhero
  • Texas
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 04:10:49 am »
I like the idea, although it worries me that this may mean that young athletes will be training intensively from age ten or earlier. In some sports, that might be too intensive for developing bodies. It might also detract from education and impose huge psychological stresses.

I loved watching sports such as ski jumping and snowboarding in the Winter Olympics, but I cringed when all the surgeries the various athletes had endured were mentioned. One female athlete had already had repairs done to both shoulders and both knees.

Perhaps the physical risks are no greater than in high school American football or hockey, I don't know.

I also shudder at the financial costs, especially for poor countries. It might be better to spend that money more broadly, with less-competitive programs for a greater number of young athletes.
We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  -Thomas Paine

nudist18

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:49:53 am »
I like the idea, although it worries me that this may mean that young athletes will be training intensively from age ten or earlier. In some sports, that might be too intensive for developing bodies. It might also detract from education and impose huge psychological stresses.

I loved watching sports such as ski jumping and snowboarding in the Winter Olympics, but I cringed when all the surgeries the various athletes had endured were mentioned. One female athlete had already had repairs done to both shoulders and both knees.

Perhaps the physical risks are no greater than in high school American football or hockey, I don't know.

I also shudder at the financial costs, especially for poor countries. It might be better to spend that money more broadly, with less-competitive programs for a greater number of young athletes.

Well most Olympians, no matter what sport they belong to, start training at an early age. The Chinese gymnastics and table tennis teams start recruitment in Elementary Schools. Russians do the same with figure skating. In the United States, kids start playing sports at early ages. The ones who happen to be really good for their age will likely end up going to these games. Note, there won't be as many nations at first. It is like the first Olympics in the Modern Era. You will have major countries in first, some small ones, then grow as the years go on. I don't worry too much for the Youth Olympics causing children to become over competitive or to devote their lives to sports. I mean, this is basically an amateur level Olympic Games (but skilled enough for elite status at the age level). As for the financial aspect. Most National Olympic Committees use fundraising and donations, even merchandise sales to get their athletes to the games, and to get them the proper equipment. Since government funding plays a small role (in most NOC's anyway), then the financial aspect is shared with the people, not so much the country itself.