Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: High schools ban naked weigh-ins for wrestling  (Read 84395 times)

mikeisnude

Re: High schools ban naked weigh-ins for wrestling
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 07:34:20 am »
Okay. Let's say I'm nude in the locker room nude, probably trying to stall so I can be nude even longer (lol). Someone manages to sneak a picture and does whatever with it. People find out and people get mad, blah blah blah. Am I at fault, or was it the wrongdoing of the culprit? You just burned an entire forest over a few dead trees.

I understand the logic behing the prohibition, but I don't necessarily agree with it.
:3145

Offline chris14122507

• Casually Dressed
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 04:34:23 pm »
 :3145 :3145
Okay. Let's say I'm nude in the locker room nude, probably trying to stall so I can be nude even longer (lol). Someone manages to sneak a picture and does whatever with it. People find out and people get mad, blah blah blah. Am I at fault, or was it the wrongdoing of the culprit? You just burned an entire forest over a few dead trees.

I understand the logic behing the prohibition, but I don't necessarily agree with it.
:3145

luvthemgiants

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 06:21:09 pm »
how public exactly are these weigh-ins? are we talking in front of both teams and coaches?

ryan

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 06:33:11 pm »
does a pair of shorts make that much difference in a weigh in?

NatureForever

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 06:39:40 pm »
how public exactly are these weigh-ins? are we talking in front of both teams and coaches?
It depends on the school. Some of them are very isolated and others are right in front of all your teammates. Usually they don't care, though, because the whole nude-with-the-crew thing becomes normal and familiar over time. My brother coaches wrestling, so I know all of this from him.

Offline chris14122507

• Casually Dressed
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 06:55:23 pm »

It does actually! A pair of shorts can be a few ounces and it might make a difference if you sit on the fence

Offline Archaewok1

• N Forum Veteran
  • Nude without Towel
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 07:02:39 pm »
I don't like the whole weigh-ins and competition thing anyway. Too many wrestlers go without food to try to pull off heading into a weight class, or they go down to an unhealthy amount of body fat. The deaths that have happened only show the worst cases. They don't show the damage that all of the cases might be having. I don't see why humans need to prove that they can physically wrestle another human to the ground anyway. It proves nothing. A gun would take care of pretty much any physical inequality in a fight, so it's not like the other person is superior. Let's focus on things that are mutually beneficial to the species.

Offline Delta

• Administrator
  • Broke the fourth wall
  • For SCIENCE!
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 07:59:08 pm »
I don't like the whole weigh-ins and competition thing anyway. Too many wrestlers go without food to try to pull off heading into a weight class, or they go down to an unhealthy amount of body fat. The deaths that have happened only show the worst cases. They don't show the damage that all of the cases might be having. I don't see why humans need to prove that they can physically wrestle another human to the ground anyway. It proves nothing. A gun would take care of pretty much any physical inequality in a fight, so it's not like the other person is superior. Let's focus on things that are mutually beneficial to the species.
That pretty much applies to any sport though - tossing a ball into a target by kicking, throwing or hitting with an instrument has pretty much no practical applications whatsoever.
Please send me a message on the forum before contacting me over IM. For best results, also mention what you want to talk about, I am not much of a smalltalker.

lvxandlight

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 11:51:29 pm »
Can a pair of underwear even weigh one-tenth of a pound? I'm sure they'll do the math so that the athlete can compete in his or her weight class.

I think the same logic for rape carries over to this situation i.e. you can't blame the victim for the crime committed against him or her. Regardless of what someone's wearing, it gives no reason for another individual to do whatever with another's person (sorry for the slight legalese).

In this case, the picture was taken without your knowing and the photographer is at fault. Especially since you're "underage," you can't give anyone the O.K. to take pictures of you in the nude. You are not legally allowed to make such a contract/agreement. If you were 18 and you were photographed in such an environment, they would have to prove that they had your consent.

This is the logic I can come up with. Anyone have other ideas?

Shiden Kai

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 12:18:53 am »
This may not be directly relevant to the now old article, but my schools skirted around this issue by never mandating nudity from the get-go.  It didn't matter if you wrestled, swam, played football, soccer, etc etc..   nudity simply was NOT a part of the gig.   

Offline mike345

• Guy Talk
  • Nude with Towel
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 03:19:43 am »
This may not be directly relevant to the now old article, but my schools skirted around this issue by never mandating nudity from the get-go.  It didn't matter if you wrestled, swam, played football, soccer, etc etc..   nudity simply was NOT a part of the gig.

Ours wasnt mandated at all. You could be naked at a weigh in if you wanted to. Most didnt because there was one female trainer and one girl on the wrestling team. Only maybe 2-3 of us ended up getting naked at some point and that was when we were trying to go in a lower weight for a advantage against certain teams. There was a double standard because no one would ever let a guy watch girls weigh in or potentially get naked. It was uncomfortable.

Offline jacksta

• Topless with bottoms
  • im thinking of trying out nudism
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 06:17:00 am »
so... did a lot of this banning start after people started having camera phones, or before that?

NatureForever

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 06:50:26 am »
I can't remember a time when there WERE nude weigh ins. My middle school had fully operational shower systems. They were never used. Ever.

Offline Fitz1980

• Shouting it out loud
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 10:39:50 am »
I can't remember a time when there WERE nude weigh ins. My middle school had fully operational shower systems. They were never used. Ever.

I graduated HS the year you were born and even in my day nobody showered after P.E. class. We dressed out but never stripped to less than our underwear in the locker room and nobody showered after P.E. Interestingly kids I knew who played on sports teams said that while they didn't shower after P.E. they always showered after practice.

Depends on how precise the weight restrictions are. Here is UFC star Gina Carano having to strip naked to make weight. She was only wearing a skimpy bra and undies to start with but it was enough to put her over the limit.

Offline biobruin89

• Nude without Towel
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 02:42:05 pm »
I agree with some of the comments here that the nude vs light shorts/underwear for a weigh in doesn't seem like it would really affect anything.